America’s Great Continental Divide

moto-treks

On the road
Wow, what a trip! Thanks for sharing. add another to my bucket list of trips.

I think Robert Redford did the outlaw trail in the 70s; during which he stopped at the Atlantic City saloon.
Yup - there is a picture of him in the saloon which made it difficult to get the women to finish lunch ?

razzman1

Observer
What an incredible trip report. Thanks for taking the time to compile it.

For those who are still a slave to a 9 to 5 for a few more years and can't take off that much time: If you only had 8 days, would you recommend one section/area of the trail to hit? I don't have any desire to do the whole thing in 8 days--I'd like to take my time, and I wouldn't mind doing it in sections over the span of a couple of years, but was there a 'can't miss it' part of the trail?

Thanks

moto-treks

On the road
What an incredible trip report. Thanks for taking the time to compile it.

For those who are still a slave to a 9 to 5 for a few more years and can't take off that much time: If you only had 8 days, would you recommend one section/area of the trail to hit? I don't have any desire to do the whole thing in 8 days--I'd like to take my time, and I wouldn't mind doing it in sections over the span of a couple of years, but was there a 'can't miss it' part of the trail?

Thanks

For me it was northern New Mexico. That could be that this area was new to me.
Maybe other that went on the trip sill share their favorite area too

gwittman

Adventurer
I have to agree, Northern New Mexico is spectacular. However, areas in Southern and mid Colorado are also very nice. I had to bail out at I-70 due to a catalytic converter hanger failure, so I don't have an opinion yet on the Northern part of the trip. I will someday though.

OverlandRich

Wow great write up! Thanks for putting in all the time effort and info! I had a question about the motorized travel portion of the route ending in Banf and I apologized if I missed the explanation. I've been trying to research this route and came across some info about a group from HEMA maps in australia doing the route in a 200 series land cruiser with trailer in tow. I think the X overland crew might have done a part of the trip with them. But my understanding was they were mapping the route all the way up through Canada to the arctic ocean and that there was a series of dirt roads and trails that you could link up to run all the way from the Mexico border to the arctic ocean. I'm assuming they just ended on the Dempster not doing individual trail systems through that part of the world but not sure. Did you come across any info that said you could go further up if you wanted to?

moto-treks

On the road
Wow great write up! Thanks for putting in all the time effort and info! I had a question about the motorized travel portion of the route ending in Banf and I apologized if I missed the explanation. I've been trying to research this route and came across some info about a group from HEMA maps in australia doing the route in a 200 series land cruiser with trailer in tow. I think the X overland crew might have done a part of the trip with them. But my understanding was they were mapping the route all the way up through Canada to the arctic ocean and that there was a series of dirt roads and trails that you could link up to run all the way from the Mexico border to the arctic ocean. I'm assuming they just ended on the Dempster not doing individual trail systems through that part of the world but not sure. Did you come across any info that said you could go further up if you wanted to?
The only thing I’ve seen is GPSKevin’s International Continental Divide Adventure Route.

gvb40

I just found this and read the whole thing in one sitting. My hat's off to you all! Lat summer we did a good portion of the HOTW trail. But it was nothing like this. 51 days, wow! I think that I was gone from Spokane for 14 on that trip. Our whole adventure was around 2,800 miles. You drove a good chunk of that distance just to get to your starting point in NM.

I'd love to get together with you here in Spokane and talk about the trip, equipment, etc., over a beer or two some time.

Dale
That was my Van on this trip. The one for sale with the bed that was too short for you.

seeNik48

Adventurer
I read the whole TR this morning. What an adventure and great detailed narrative. We have been to a few places where you were and you gave us some ideas for our spring trip. Thank you so much.

moto-treks

On the road
Thanks for reading. The Continental Divide is really a one-of-a-kind type of trip as one is able to experience the diversity of the landscape, history, wilderness and towns along its length.

seeNik48

Adventurer
A side trip north of Pinedale is the Green River Lakes area. Just stunningly beautiful. The road, once it turns to gravel, is a bit rough, but your rigs would have had no problem judging by the roads in your photos.
We plan to be in the Dubois, WY area and east of Yellowstone so Brooks Lake and the clean vault toilet are on our list. It may be closed at that altitude so we may may attempt it in the fall.
Now, you can plan the next one as I am doing now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne