AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
hmmm... maybe that's a way to tilt the solar panels at the sun as well. I'll be out your way in the spring with my rig.
I like the solar idea! I have a 280W panel that I intended to mount on my RTT but holding on until I decide if I go ahead with a new "roof" project... Make sure to stop by this spring but hopefully it won't be in March as I'll be travelling out of the country for most of the month...

iggi

Ian
I was looking at your rooftop tent and then looking at plywood boat plans. Seemed like a way to make a strong, light and low profile pop roof without having to make a mould or do a bunch of metal work. The rooftop tent looks a lot faster to install though.

cjken

Explorer
If you were closer I would seriously consider buying yours.
It is a genius idea that you had with that!!
I’m making some changes to mine this spring/summer and may do something similar!!
Not sure I need the extra sleeping space just interested in the headroom and ventilation.
There are some cheap pop-up campers around here, but that seems impractical compared to the RTT.

Abitibi

Explorer
I was looking at your rooftop tent and then looking at plywood boat plans. Seemed like a way to make a strong, light and low profile pop roof without having to make a mold or do a bunch of metal work. The rooftop tent looks a lot faster to install though.
Before mounting my RTT I just about built it out of plywood & fiberglass. I did the same process on my 1st army trailer (built a lid/box for it) and it was very strong and not too heavy. If I'd do it again I would use a mix of material to ensure I could also incorporate insulation. The hardest part for me would be the canvas as I have no idea how to sow... not out of the question though! At the end the RTT was the easiest way to get it done quick and make it look decent. Still works awesome and opening the tent without the bed in place creates a crazy feeling of space! Anyway, it's staying in place until I decide if my idea is realistic...

Cheers
David

Abitibi

Explorer
If you were closer I would seriously consider buying yours.
It is a genius idea that you had with that!!
I’m making some changes to mine this spring/summer and may do something similar!!
Not sure I need the extra sleeping space just interested in the headroom and ventilation.
There are some cheap pop-up campers around here, but that seems impractical compared to the RTT.
I looked at many options before going ahead with the RTT, including the pop-up campers but it would have been way more complicated. The RTT is by far one of the easiest way to pop your roof. I did it over a weekend, basically one full day and a bit more for the finishing touches. A few small challenges, like figuring out how to open, close and secure it from the inside but at the end it worked out great.

Cheers
David

Suggestion

Go with a complete Alaskan style encapsulating popup to have a full second floor minus your cut out of course.

ab503b79fbe55d5509823c235259d73d.jpg

A very light weight and water proof roof can be made with Coosa foam board. It's used as transom repair in boat. Hallmark campers uses it as it's core material.
coosa-composite-board-bluewater-26-1.jpg

Cover complete roof and then like a top of a cardboard box, overlap the side by 36 to 48 inches on hinges so the can be propped open like an awning. Install coiled black plastic drip line on the outside surface and cover with black diamond plate stone guard. The real thin adhesive stuff to keep weight down.

08.jpg

On warm sunny days using a simple water pump circulate to your water tank for the ultimate solar water heater plus the awnings will shade the rest of the Ambulander box. Or you can mount additional solar panels.

266485293085de4adb71f057de516ded.jpg

Electrical linear actuators

GJSEMA19OverlandVehicles-1-700x700.jpg

Or other lifting mechanism ( hydraulic jack or how about an exhaust jack) will lift the whole structure. An exhaust jack would come in handy any time you get the Ambulander stuck.

71QaB3QT2qL._SX679_.jpg

Line the upper deck with Persian rugs and throw pillows for the hooka lounge effect. Kiddos will love it.

bg-tea-bazaar-2.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
How did you guess my weakness for gypsy decor? lol Love it! I'll have a look at that Coosa material, wonder how strong it gets ie. could you walk on it if it wasn't supported underneath? Thanks for all the suggestions!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How strong it will be dependent on the layers used. When building/Designing prosthetic sockets which support a patient’s weight, layers are careful considered maximize strength and minimize weight. Although I’ve got no experience with that particular material, I can recommend how to maximize the strength of your finished product.
Strength will be greatest from layers on the outside of layup. An ‘I beam’ layup will yield more strength. Fibreglass in the middle of the layup won’t increase rigidity and strength. Having a layer (or more) of glass on the inside, the foam, and then a glass on the outside will be far stronger than the board on its own. Extra resin on its own only adds weight.
A quick search on coosa revealed it comes in different thicknesses and forms, so there’s likely one that can be walked on.

java

Expedition Leader
Because I can't stand still ;)

This new one is approx. 14" longer and 5" wider. The original Ambuland obviously looks better with the smaller box and works great for a family of 4 but I'm hoping to incorporate a few "extras" on this one.
Totally understand! Mine is big and comfy, and I only have one kiddo! Looking forward to yiur next build.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online