AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi M.A.C.

The rear awning is mounted directly against the wall and above the drip rail. Since it's mounted on the curved side of the wall I built some small wedges to angle the awning so it tilts down and not up when opened (this probably doesn't apply to you though). So very similar to the side awning, just drilled the wall and bolted right through. It's plenty strong! Hope this help and if you need a picture I can always take one but it won't show much...

Hi M.A.C.

The rear awning is mounted directly against the wall and above the drip rail. Since it's mounted on the curved side of the wall I built some small wedges to angle the awning so it tilts down and not up when opened (this probably doesn't apply to you though). So very similar to the side awning, just drilled the wall and bolted right through. It's plenty strong! Hope this help and if you need a picture I can always take one but it won't show much...

Thanks for the explanation!

RC413

Observer
f7bf8e728db3351e58b1a18e7836df43.jpg

How is the roof rack holding up to the spare tire and box. That is a lot of mass that moves around that high up. Has to be near 200lb. Mind sharing the settup?

I was thinking of making a rack that mounts to the ambo box and hangs over the cab but am concerned about the weight of the spare tire.

Thanks Ross

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi Ross,

Sorry for not responding earlier, I was on the road with limited web access.

It's a very simple rack to be honest but it works flawlessly since I've mounted it a few years ago. I was tempted to build a purpose one that would also attach to the front of the rear box but I'd have to remove some of my interior cabinet so haven't bothered. Here's a few pics for you, I even took one without the spare... 508015508016508017hope it helps!

Abitibi

Explorer
And onto what I've been waiting for years and started a few weeks ago... new side windows for the rear seats. End result is amazing!

As previously posted I made some aluminum casings. Since they are two parts and barely touch each other the cold transfer isn't too bad. For the actual frame I used fir wood. Once painted on the outside and varnished on the inside it will not be affected by weather. For the galss, I used 5/8" double pane tempered glass with Low-E to help with insulation. Normal window panes aren't usually that wide apart but I had the room to do it which meant even better insulation.

I bought some nice SS marine locks but wasn't convinced how well they'd work as they can't be adjusted. So I went with these trusted ones which worked out great.

Anyway, here's some pictures of how it turned out. On my recent trip to California my kids really enjoyed having such a big opening to view the scenery. And once parked, the extra light at the back really made it nice especially when opened up for a fresh breeze!

Still need to stain and varnish the inside and trying to decide if I should paint the frame (wood part) white instead of black. Now I'm really tempted to do the same for my back door, lol.
I'm still considering installing another one of these on the driver's side by the bed, wide but not tall... but that's a lot more work!

Cheers
David508029508030508031508032508033

Attachments

• 20190225_193427.jpg
    20190225_193427.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 70

java

Expedition Leader
Very nice! So those are a wood sash and aluminum frame? Whose hardware did you use?! Looks amazing!

Abitibi

Explorer
Very nice! So those are a wood sash and aluminum frame? Whose hardware did you use?! Looks amazing!

Thanks Java

Yup, wood sash and alu frame. On this trip we got both hot and cold weather and these windows did a super job at insulating. I used window shade (bubble wrap stuff) but it was mostly as privacy curtains as I haven't got any curtains for them yet. I'll also make some bug screen for them.

I got the same guys who build all my custom house windows to build these for me (my house is from 1911 so wood it is) and the hinges came with the windows. If you google ustenitic window hinges you'll see them. Here's a picture of what they look like. I just used them in an awning style instead of side swing. There's an adjustable tension screw on the hinge that allow them to stay up even with heavier windows.

Talking of weight, much better than expected. These are no Dometic acrylic windows but my truck isn't a mini-cooper either...

iggi

Ian
Hi David, I've essentially got a newer version of your rig. Despite still being just 2WD and the smaller 6.0 I only see slightly better fuel economy.
Best was 13 Litres per 100k. (driving 95kph in the park) and worst was 19 L/100K when whipping it into the wind at 135kph when late for an appt a hour away.

Ian

Thanks again!

What do you guys think? Fully loaded with fuel, water, gears and family of 4, we were 10,600lbs. Cruising at 60mph we averaged around 14mpg. Best we managed was 15.8mpg between Bend and Portland which is probably due to the altitude drop. Worse was about 11mpg while cruising at 75mph or stop and go. Sounds OK? Wish I could improve for sure though!

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi David, I've essentially got a newer version of your rig. Despite still being just 2WD and the smaller 6.0 I only see slightly better fuel economy.
Best was 13 Litres per 100k. (driving 95kph in the park) and worst was 19 L/100K when whipping it into the wind at 135kph when late for an appt a hour away.

Ian

Hi Ian

Your fuel consumption sounds really good, way better than my 7.3 but then again I don't really pay attention as I mostly run it on veggie oil. Your numbers are in L/100km while mine are in mpg... I'd be extremely happy to get 13L/100k!!!

Abitibi

Explorer
Funny, I just figured out a new way to sleep upstairs in the winter. Still plenty of room and doesn't get as cold. Other bonus it's quicker to set up and it should also help with the snow.

If I need all the room I have a winter interior cover that's been quite helpful last winter.

Btw, if anyone is interested in building a similar popup setup I might consider selling mine. It's pretty quick and easy, did mine in a day starting from scratch! Food for thought :)

Cheers
David

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

iggi

Ian
hmmm... maybe that's a way to tilt the solar panels at the sun as well. I'll be out your way in the spring with my rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne