Ambulance Reciever Options (Tow Hitch)

Deshet

Adventurer
I want to get a receiver for my ambulance but need something with a lot of drop to get passed the rear step and probably an extension. I want the capability to tow heavy (12,000 to 16,000) although I usually tow slightly under 10,000. I am hoping to learn from you guys trail and errors and get something that is aleardy proven.

I don't want to remove the bumper or do any cutting at this point. I appreciate any help. I am looking to get this done in the next couple of days

Thanks,

zuke

Adventurer
You're going to have some trouble finding a hitch and extension that will handle 16,000lb...

Also, I have trouble remembering day to day :) what's you're current rig?

In any case I'd try etrailer.com first, Call them if you don't see what you need on the website...

Deshet

Adventurer
This is for my 1997 F350 4x4 Ambulance it replaced my F450 as my work truck but it needs a receiver. It will have a light interior build but nothing major.

luckily the 1995 E350 4x4 minimod is already setup to tow but nothing tows like a dually.

I saw some etrailer offerings prior to posting this and it looks like they want me to go with a weld on receiver with a 7 or 8" drop plate. I need to check with my local trailer supply shop since I will have to get someone to weld it up for me.

This is more of a universal style setup for 16,000#

There prices seem fare but I assume it will be another $200-$300 to drill frame and weld in the hitch.

Thanks,

Last edited:

zuke

Adventurer
Yeah, I looked at those type for my V3500, as that's all there was for that too, But the one shop I asked about putting one in, said they wouldn't do it, and I just ended up making a hitch of my own...

I'd trust it up to about 12,000lb, but don't think I'd go over that, Plus I took my Bumper off, which you don't want to do.

Have you tried going by a Big Truck place, like http://www.truckfleetrepair.com/ and see if they could fab something up?

Deshet

Adventurer
Most of the truck places around here don't do custom work and they want a $1000 to do just about anything. We have a local place the only deals in trailers and the labor rates are reasonable.

Thanks,

Len.Barron

Observer
You loose a lot of departure clearance with a drop like that. Have you considered going through your existing with the receiver opening...kind of a hidden hitch set up..

Deshet

Adventurer
Going through the bumper would be an option but this isn't really set up for anything that requires good departure angles. I need to get it weighed but I would be surprised if it weighed under 9,000 pounds. The wheelbase is longer then the van based ambulances and the over hang from the rear wheels is fairly long.

It is 4x4 but it is more setup for service roads that are well traveled. It could be lifted and do more but it is going to be more of a service truck, something to keep my tools other vehicles running. Really this is a much better service truck then a big steel service box. I plan to keep the inside clean with only brand new parts, Roof AC/heat, and setup the external cabinets for tools with shevles and a generator. Luckily it is an OBS 1997 F350 truck so a lot of parts are out there for it. I may be able to get a decent amount of stuff used.

Looking for a nice front bumper with a winch plate.

Deshet

Adventurer
https://www.etrailer.com/Heavy-Duty-Truck-Hitch/Draw-Tite/41990-07.html
Know I just need to have it welded into place.

I bought this yesterday. I went to the local trailer place and they would only build a hitch up to 12,000 pounds and wanted $1000.00 dollars. Etrailer.com had a 16,000 setup for $149.35 shipped. Know I just need to have it welded into place. I have no clue what the welding should cost.

Has anyone towed really heavy with their dually ambulance? (15,000+ plus)

I need to move a 14,000 pound load. My 1997 F350 doesn't seem as powerful as the 2000 F450 that I just sold, but I believe it should be up to the task. I know that the newer 1999/2000+ models had a little more horsepower but I think the gearing of the 450 made the difference. I do have airbags and dually wheels so stability wise I should be okay.

My excursion moved my lmtv (16,500 pounds) around without any issues and that was a plain SRW truck.

Thanks,

Len.Barron

Observer
A lot of the cost will be prep/access, if you remove any interferences and clean the effected areas of the frame and new hitch down to bare metal you're probably only looking at $250-ish. If you expect them to do all that (and if it's a rusty mess) then you can double-triple it..

Corneilius

Adventurer
I suspect several of the shops in the $1000+ range just didn't want the liability of welding on a hitch that will be hooked to 15k lbs.

hogasm

Observer
https://www.etrailer.com/Heavy-Duty-Truck-Hitch/Draw-Tite/41990-07.html
Know I just need to have it welded into place.

I bought this yesterday. I went to the local trailer place and they would only build a hitch up to 12,000 pounds and wanted $1000.00 dollars. Etrailer.com had a 16,000 setup for $149.35 shipped. Know I just need to have it welded into place. I have no clue what the welding should cost.

Has anyone towed really heavy with their dually ambulance? (15,000+ plus)

I need to move a 14,000 pound load. My 1997 F350 doesn't seem as powerful as the 2000 F450 that I just sold, but I believe it should be up to the task. I know that the newer 1999/2000+ models had a little more horsepower but I think the gearing of the 450 made the difference. I do have airbags and dually wheels so stability wise I should be okay.

My excursion moved my lmtv (16,500 pounds) around without any issues and that was a plain SRW truck.

Thanks,

90cc injectors in the 97
130cc injectors in the 2000

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Ambulances have no tow ratings. Similar E350s have a tow rating of about 10,000 lbs and a combination of trailer and tow rig of 20,000. Given that my ambulance weighs 9500 lbs on a good day, I’d not want to go over 10K even though the hitch I have to put on, like the eTrailer one, is rated for 16K.

With a Dually axel it could be ok... but I’d not want to be the one associated with installing it.

qcdstick

I understand what you are saying, but that's a completely different discussion.

Without going too far OT, I agree with your assessment which is why personally I'm looking at the medium duty units, even though I anticipate my trailer's loaded weight to be under 10k in the vast majority of cases. Even so, many of the class 4 and even class 5 trucks are still duramax / cummins 5.9 powered, same as the light duty type 1's and type 3's... So someone's real world experience towing down the open road even with a smaller unit is still very much valid to me.

I think an entire thread discussing the GVWR, GAWR, and GCWR as a percentage of GVWR relationships (stated GCWR on the vehicle or not) would be a lot of fun, but that's a thread on its own.

Deshet

Adventurer
How did it turn out? I've been looking for an answer to this question for a while. Lots of people talking about wanting to do it, nobody reporting back how it went. Leaning heavily towards Medium Duty Ambulances myself, but how it went on the F350 would be a good baseline.

Everything went well with the tow. (1000 miles) I have towed with it a few times. The kit I ordered did not have enough drop for my ambulance so measure before you order.

The engines, frames, and transmissions are good to go for heavy towing; 10,000 pounds isn't heavy for these at all.
I would not tow heavy with a Chevy/GM 6.5 diesel but the Duramax, Cummins, and Powerstroke are made to work hard and Ambulance service is easy work. Many guys are uprating 1 ton trucks to 40,000 pounds and pulling 3 to 5 car trailers with stock trucks. I have seen many Fullsize RVs with the Ford gas V10 hauling a Big Trailer behind them without any issues.

Bottom Line....Many people are stepping up from Honda's and Toyota's and want to make sure that the trucks can handle the weight. I don't think the average person has a load that a diesel ambulance can't handle based on weight alone. Get a Hitch installed properly, connect a properly loaded trailer, and trailer brakes and you can move a mountain.

If you are towing 10K at highway speeds often get a Dually and you won't feel anything at all. My single rear wheel trucks can tow 20k without issue but the dually trucks are made to tow and eat up sway and trailer load issues. If you are new to towing nothing is worse then 15k trailer sway at 60 MPH in congested traffic.

123_3.jpeg
This was delivered by a stock 1 ton dually truck that also had another 1 ton truck on the trailer....close to 30,000 pound load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz