Ambulance rear ac/heater delete?

Has anyone here deleted the rear ac/heater in their rig? Mine doesn't work and with a roof mount ac route I'm taking why keep it?

Going to get regular ac lines and heater hoses and remove all the aftermarket stuff(factory ac is inop), maybe that will fix my front ac leak.....

AMBOT

Adventurer
I love the factory AC. I route a duct from the rear to the front, as the front AC can be inadequate in hot, sunny weather. It also cools the back for our 3rd passenger on the road. Other units may not run well with the vehicle in motion. The Hoseline unit is made tough. Its also good to cool down the back before you switch over to the AC unit.

Abitibi

Explorer
I got rid of my rear AC not long ago. It was useless to me and was robbing precious real estate... Wasn't cheap to remove but cheaper than fixing it and not using it. I think I posted about it in my build thread. But I live in Canada and our summers aren't a oven like some other places...

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I removed mine. It was pretty simple There is a refrigerant line that you will need to have evacuated. There is a shut off valve under the ambulance on the driver side near where the box meets the cab. Turn the valve to shut off the flow of refrigerant and then have the line evacuated.

There is also two coolant lines. Pop them off the AC unit and attached them together with a coolant filter. The AC unit itself is large but relatively lightweight. It'll be held in place by some screws and glue.

There are some photos somewhere in here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/135844-Ambulance-Camper-Expedition-Rig-Conversion-FAQ

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I like having mine. When I first bought it the rear heat kept me warm on my over-nighter driving it back. Had to idle it all night but it beat freezing my nibblets off and I figure the occasional 8-hr idle is cheap compared to an aftermarket heat unit. Same for the A/C. The A/C probably sees more occasional use because now for heat I just use a Mr Buddy whereas A/C is a bit more problematic unless plugged in or running a gen set.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Edit: Just re-read your initial post. Get rid of it. If you are installing a roof-mount AC unit you'll never use the ambulance box AC unit.

If you need heat grab a Buddy heater.

Do know that the ambulance box ac/heater requires you to run your motor. If you're like me this isn't an option. The noise, vibrations, and fumes are incredible in my 7.3L.

Last edited:
Well auto zone has a 4 season air cond hose for a reg ac van for 100.00 and factory heater hose for 22.00 so going back to factory set up and with my rear roof mounted ac(carrier).

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Not knowing how your rig is built, is it an aftermarket unit that goes with the upfit, or is it the stock Econoline unit?
I've seen econolines here in the southwest that the rear aftermarket unit is a complete separate system from the front. Extra compressor, condenser with fans on the side. Something like that would be easy, just take it out. It is when they are tied into the front unit it gets more complex. I remember seeing warnings about dead space in the refrigerant lines in the past. Something about the liquid line can hold enough refrigerant that if it is all liquid there isn't enough refrigerant for the system to work right, but if the liquid is all in the front system it is overfull and can hurt the compressor. So make sure you cap the refrigerant lines at the front if you have to.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
How do you plan on using the AC/Heater? Keep in mind the stock rear unit only works while the motor is running. My 7.3L is extremely loud, vibrates the entire rig, and is emits all kinds of smelly fumes. There is zero chance I am ever going to idle my rig to get heat or AC in the back while camping.

For heat I use a buddy heater. It's cheap and works well.

I currently do not have AC in the rear but don't really need it in Washington. Your profile doesn't list where you are located, but if you do need AC you have a couple of options (roof top RV style, household window unit, household standing floor unit).

jabnola

Really a lot of info from you guys on ambulance conversion i'm new and excited to start my conversion. On the other shoulder is a little devil saying "What did you get yourself into?"

jabnola

Lord forgive me I'm a newby, Can you operate your ambulance box AC/heater on shore/ generator power Or should I install a aftermarket unit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz