Ambulance Overlander Advice

cbessler

Hey guys! This is my first post here so be easy on me! Haha. I've been in the market for and looking at different ambulances for sale to convert into an overlander rig/camper van. Looking for your guys advice on where I should move forward with a rig? My budget is relatively limited and I'd say the wife would have me maxed out at $15k.

Most of my travel will include forest service roads, camping out of it, into some mountain lakes that are relatively easy, fly fishing, and occasionally using it over passes with snow (I live in the northwest). Not really into a ton of snow activities. I can handle a moderate project but not interested in a large conversion myself at this time.

Option 1.) 15k
1999 Ford 350 7.3l diesel 2wd with 170k miles with 3" lift, nitto terra 33" tires, rack, light bars, 12v fridge, solar and batteries with a great interior and with a lot of extras.
Option 2.) 11k
2003 Ford 7.3l 4x4 diesel with 256k miles sink, hot water, no fridge or tons extra like solar etc. Interior may need some TLC and a little extra work but nothing crazy.

Option 2 is $4k less starting out. Was wondering what your guys thoughts are? Is option 2 worth it for 4x4 even with the more miles and less additional features? Option 1 is turn key and ready to play.

Thanks and let me know!

Last edited:

bgflyguy

I'm just starting as well and based in the PNW so I have a lot of the same goals. I can't really help with the practicalness or speak to the abilities of any option, but I wanted to welcome you to the club and send out some encouragement.

We picked up our Ambo up in May from a fire department without any mods, and it's been freakin' awesome! It's a dreaded 6.0l, needs new tires and some "suspension" work, but it's a great platform for wandering. I haven't been this excited about a project in YEARS!

The 7.3l are getting pretty far outside of the 15 year windows for most departments, so they are becoming harder to find and going for a lot more now when they do show up. On the flip side, we are starting to see a few 6.7l coming up early. 4x4 would be awesome, but these things are pretty big and bulky. I have no idea how far I can push my 2wd before getting stuck. Hopefully I don't find out the hard way. I do have "on-spot" tire chains for the winter time, but I'll probably be pulling those for more ground clearance.

If you want a blank slate and to push out your budget, there is 7.3l(90k miles) for 19K at an ambulance refurbisher(they get them in tip top shape before reselling and have a great rep)
I won't link here in case you are interested.

Welcome to the club!

cbessler

Yeah that was my thing. I dont think I will be pushing my ambo to the limit to require the 4x4 option but good to have in the end with hoa big they are and everything. The snow over the passes can get pretty bad sometimes but I wont be doing anything crazy in the winter time.

Is 256k miles pushing it for these things? Is there a major service around this mile level that's expensive? I can update some interior and add extra items I see absolutely necessary in my build which is exciting as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz