Ambulance Insurance

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
There is a seller near me that buys used retired from service Ambulance's and removes the Ambo box from the chassis. He refurbishes the Ambo boxes and installs them on new chassis OR he will sell you a used Ambo box. He resells the old tired Ambo cab/chassis's from under the removed Ambo boxes to people to repurpose.

There for why not consider a different alternative:

Buy a None Ambo certified cab/chassis truck of your choice upon which an Ambo box of your choice will easily mount upon and insure that cab/chassis for what it is. A cab/chassis truck. Great way to get 4x4 on a cab/chassis or Van at a much cheaper cost that going the conversion route if 4x4 is important to you.

Buy a used removed from service Ambulance box that has been removed from an Ambulance chassis that will fit the none Ambo cab/chassis truck you have purchased.

Install ambo box on your none Ambo chassis to build your RV/Overland vehicle.

Certainly extra work however you can then get exactly the chassis you want rather than compromise on the chassis because you purchased a complete used Ambo mostly because of the Ambo box. This is certainly a much easier way to get 4x4 IF you want an Ambo box on a none VAN chassis as 4x4 Van conversions are expensive and there are lot's of 4x4 trucks upon which you can mount an Ambo box.

This is no different than buying any other cab/chassis truck and then installing a flat bed, box van or gooseneck trailer tow setup after purchase of the vehicle WITHOUT any of the issues of trying to title and register that "Former Ambulance" vehicle that you want to make into an RV/Overland vehicle.

Think about it.

In all reality it is the Ambo box that made you interested in purchasing the a used Ambo for conversion NOT the chassis upon which the Ambo box was mounted.

The "Skoolie" enthusiasts have the same problems with insurance coverage and conversion.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There is a seller near me that buys used retired from service Ambulance's and removes the Ambo box from the chassis. He refurbishes the Ambo boxes and installs them on new chassis OR he will sell you a used Ambo box. He resells the old tired Ambo cab/chassis's from under the removed Ambo boxes to people to repurpose.

There for why not consider a different alternative:

Buy a None Ambo certified cab/chassis truck of your choice upon which an Ambo box of your choice will easily mount upon and insure that cab/chassis for what it is. A cab/chassis truck. Great way to get 4x4 on a cab/chassis or Van at a much cheaper cost that going the conversion route if 4x4 is important to you.

Buy a used removed from service Ambulance box that has been removed from an Ambulance chassis that will fit the none Ambo cab/chassis truck you have purchased.

Install ambo box on your none Ambo chassis to build your RV/Overland vehicle.

Certainly extra work however you can then get exactly the chassis you want rather than compromise on the chassis because you purchased a complete used Ambo mostly because of the Ambo box. This is certainly a much easier way to get 4x4 IF you want an Ambo box on a none VAN chassis as 4x4 Van conversions are expensive and there are lot's of 4x4 trucks upon which you can mount an Ambo box.

This is no different than buying any other cab/chassis truck and then installing a flat bed, box van or gooseneck trailer tow setup after purchase of the vehicle WITHOUT any of the issues of trying to title and register that "Former Ambulance" vehicle that you want to make into an RV/Overland vehicle.

Think about it.

In all reality it is the Ambo box that made you interested in purchasing the a used Ambo for conversion NOT the chassis upon which the Ambo box was mounted.

The "Skoolie" enthusiasts have the same problems with insurance coverage and conversion.

All very good points to consider.

If you’re considering doing this, be sure to put some miles on the truck chassis/model you plan to use. A couple years back I drove a newer F350, leaf sprung, 4X4, crew cab.... it sucked. I’ve driven 20 tone commercial trucks that rode and handled better. It also took a city block to do a uturn.

I don’t know if it was just beat... but I’d drive my E350 Ambulance across the country, but couldn’t wait to get out of the F350.

Sidewalk

I am starting to run into this issue with my "project". My current provider State Farm won't cover it. Going to try and find my DD214 (I need to get to VA to get my disability rating anyway) and see if USAA will cover it (I had negative experiences with them when active duty, so not looking forward).

I wasn't planning on doing a massive conversion, so we'll see what happens. I might just sell it and use a pickup.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m surprised the hassle.

I hope it doesn’t come to selling yours. Buyers will hit the same roadblocks, which could impact your resale.

Id not want a truck instead... even though working on one is easier.

eporter

Adventurer
Fishflyguy are you selling because of insurance issues?
f5e21788647202917a30bb4432818a24.jpg

Fredricksen

@Sidewalk
What sort of problems are they giving you? Also.. what does your title say.. regarding the vehicle type?
You didn't say 'ambulance' did you?
If you show pics of a sink, toilet, and stove..and say it is a conversion van, you'll get much further.. "ambo" is a hard stop with state farm

Vandventure

I also experienced great difficulty in obtaining insurance today for a 1979 Ambulance. USAA, Progressive, and a commercial insurance company refused to insure the ambulance. After I provided USAA and Progressive the VIN I was told it was a commercial vehicle and they would not insure it for personal use. I told them it was decommissioned (i.e. no lights or siren) and the Title shows Ford Econoline 350.
USAA transferred to a commercial vehicle insurance company to obtain insurance and they told me I couldn't get commercial insurance because I was using the vehicle for personal use.
I then called an insurance broker and explained my issue with USAA and Progressive, the broker tried multiple other companies that denied insuring the decommissioned ambulance. Then Success Happened. The broker then was successful insuring the ambulance with Hagerty Insurance. I was required to provide exterior and interior photos and insure the vehicle off of stated value. Not the cheapest insurance, but it is much cheaper than commercial vehicle insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior