Ambulance Insurance

masukomi

We got insured!!!

Who by? Progressive. They said no twice, but the third time, with the right insurance agent convincing a progressive person to think creatively did the trick.

How it happened:

Note that much of this is Vermont specific so the conversations with the DMV and insurance may be different in your state.

I went to the Vermont DMV and filled out the title transfer and registration, noting I wanted Motor Home plates. More importantly, I put down "Box Truck" for the body type. Changing the "body type" is absolutely key to making this work with most insurers. I chose box truck because really, it is a box truck. DMV lady asked "does it have seats in the back?" "Yes. 5 of them." I responded. "I can't register it as a box truck then. It has to be a van." Internally I'm doing a little dance, but I played it cool. "ok."

A minute later I asked (fearing i was dooming myself) "It doesn't matter that it's a heavy vehicle? It's still a van because of the seats?" (she had seen the 11,500 lbs I'd written in the "truck" section). "No. It's the seat belts in the back. I have to put it in as van." Cue more internal dancing.

It did not matter that the bill of sale very clearly said "ambulance" in maybe 3 places and the seller's logo had an EMT symbol worked into it.

Meanwhile though, there was one insurance agent who had the tenacity, and morbid curiosity as to why this was so hard, who had convinced Progressive to do it as a box truck regardless of what it said on the paperwork, after being very clear with them that we were converting it to an RV.

Progressive will not cover this under a personal policy because of the weight. That seems to be a common response. The final price for a year (with the discount for paying it all up front) was roughly ~$1000 (US) with large amounts of all the standard coverage.

My advice for the next person is: DO NOT talk to an insurance agent until you modify the paperwork to say "box truck" or "van" or anything honest that is not ambulance. I'd go with van because of the seat belts in the back. Do this even if your state requires insurance before registration, which means you have to do a title transfer without registering. Remember you are not required to register a vehicle to own it.

After that has happened, wait for the new title / paperwork to come back from the state. In our case the DMV lady estimated it'd be at least 2 weeks before a vin lookup would see the new info. I'd give it at least 1 week more than whatever they tell you.

Then, and only then, begin calling insurance companies. Tell them it was an ambulance but now it's converted / being converted to an RV. Use the word "decomissioned" if you have to. If you use that word be sure to "decomission" it (typically this just means disabling the flashers). We're going to convert ours to floods.

There's a lot of misconception about what's inside an ambulance. Our agent was asking if the "medical equipment had been removed". I told him there wasn't any, other than the oxygen tubing (totally true). He, in turn, told the person at progressive that all the medical equipment had been removed. Which again, is true. I mean, technically you could say that the heat/ac is "medical equipment" but from a lay-person's perspective, yes no medical equipment. That seemed to help his argument.

Getting it home:
I think most folks (especially those trying to save money) get ambulances auctioned from tows that have retired them. They don't really want the thing sitting on their lots after you've bought it (usually there's a penalty if you don't), but you can't drive it without insurance. My experience says you're not going to get the insurance quickly. Thus you'll probably need to get it shipped. Note that while it's not outrageously expensive shipping a Type III is not nearly as cheap as with a normal vehicle because of the weight and size. You should probably get a quote on shipping from the seller before you place your bid. We were fortunate enough to have already arranged to have ours shipped from the dealer because they're ~5hrs away and were going to do some work on it. I'm sure he would have been happy to let it sit on his lot for a few weeks while we got this sorted out but still... be prepared to NOT be able to insure the vehicle for many weeks after you buy it.

Best of luck. If you're in Vermont and need to get yours insured drop me a line on twitter or text me and I'll hook you up with an insurance agent.

Deshet

Adventurer
What type of ambulance do you have?

Never had any problems getting insurance with my f350 or E350 ambulance.

On mine the upfitter sticker said Ambulance/RV.

When they pull the vin up for an ambulance it will show up as a incomplete vehicle they can’t tell if it is a tow truck or conversion van.

Mine have been insured as either conversion vans or RVs.

Don’t give the insurance company GVWR when they are asking for empty weight. They are two different things.

If you have a medium duty or larger you are better off doing the RV conversion first and then get RV insurance.

Arelsprite

I re-titled my ambo as an generic "vehicle" (so, non-commercial) and USAA was able to insure it by just calling them and explaining that it had been re-titled.

Before I did the conversion, I was able to insure it through Progressive without even picking up the phone.

Changing out the classification is a PITA but worth it, since (at least in CA) it saves you on having to pay weight fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m trying to buy one. I called progressive and they said they can’t insure the vehicle at this time even if is reclassified as a non-commercial or rv.

Arelsprite

We got insured!!!

Who by? Progressive. They said no twice, but the third time, with the right insurance agent convincing a progressive person to think creatively did the trick.

How it happened:

Note that much of this is Vermont specific so the conversations with the DMV and insurance may be different in your state.

I went to the Vermont DMV and filled out the title transfer and registration, noting I wanted Motor Home plates. More importantly, I put down "Box Truck" for the body type. Changing the "body type" is absolutely key to making this work with most insurers. I chose box truck because really, it is a box truck. DMV lady asked "does it have seats in the back?" "Yes. 5 of them." I responded. "I can't register it as a box truck then. It has to be a van." Internally I'm doing a little dance, but I played it cool. "ok."

A minute later I asked (fearing i was dooming myself) "It doesn't matter that it's a heavy vehicle? It's still a van because of the seats?" (she had seen the 11,500 lbs I'd written in the "truck" section). "No. It's the seat belts in the back. I have to put it in as van." Cue more internal dancing.

It did not matter that the bill of sale very clearly said "ambulance" in maybe 3 places and the seller's logo had an EMT symbol worked into it.

Meanwhile though, there was one insurance agent who had the tenacity, and morbid curiosity as to why this was so hard, who had convinced Progressive to do it as a box truck regardless of what it said on the paperwork, after being very clear with them that we were converting it to an RV.

Progressive will not cover this under a personal policy because of the weight. That seems to be a common response. The final price for a year (with the discount for paying it all up front) was roughly ~$1000 (US) with large amounts of all the standard coverage.

My advice for the next person is: DO NOT talk to an insurance agent until you modify the paperwork to say "box truck" or "van" or anything honest that is not ambulance. I'd go with van because of the seat belts in the back. Do this even if your state requires insurance before registration, which means you have to do a title transfer without registering. Remember you are not required to register a vehicle to own it.

After that has happened, wait for the new title / paperwork to come back from the state. In our case the DMV lady estimated it'd be at least 2 weeks before a vin lookup would see the new info. I'd give it at least 1 week more than whatever they tell you.

Then, and only then, begin calling insurance companies. Tell them it was an ambulance but now it's converted / being converted to an RV. Use the word "decomissioned" if you have to. If you use that word be sure to "decomission" it (typically this just means disabling the flashers). We're going to convert ours to floods.

There's a lot of misconception about what's inside an ambulance. Our agent was asking if the "medical equipment had been removed". I told him there wasn't any, other than the oxygen tubing (totally true). He, in turn, told the person at progressive that all the medical equipment had been removed. Which again, is true. I mean, technically you could say that the heat/ac is "medical equipment" but from a lay-person's perspective, yes no medical equipment. That seemed to help his argument.

Getting it home:
I think most folks (especially those trying to save money) get ambulances auctioned from tows that have retired them. They don't really want the thing sitting on their lots after you've bought it (usually there's a penalty if you don't), but you can't drive it without insurance. My experience says you're not going to get the insurance quickly. Thus you'll probably need to get it shipped. Note that while it's not outrageously expensive shipping a Type III is not nearly as cheap as with a normal vehicle because of the weight and size. You should probably get a quote on shipping from the seller before you place your bid. We were fortunate enough to have already arranged to have ours shipped from the dealer because they're ~5hrs away and were going to do some work on it. I'm sure he would have been happy to let it sit on his lot for a few weeks while we got this sorted out but still... be prepared to NOT be able to insure the vehicle for many weeks after you buy it.

Best of luck. If you're in Vermont and need to get yours insured drop me a line on twitter or text me and I'll hook you up with an insurance agent.

Hmmm... what would happen if you get in a car crash and they come look at your vehicle and resize is not a box truck but a converted ambulance? Hey would most likely not cover it and drop your policy don’t you think? I’m just asking, bc I need to sure before I commit to buying the ambu you know?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Hmmm... what would happen if you get in a car crash and they come look at your vehicle and resize is not a box truck but a converted ambulance? Hey would most likely not cover it and drop your policy don’t you think? I’m just asking, bc I need to sure before I commit to buying the ambu you know?

But it's not an ambulance anymore if it doesn't have lights, sirens, a stretcher...

masukomi

In my case it was explicitly acknowledge by Progressive that it is an ambulance. So legally they'll have to cover it. I may have to go to court to force the issue, but...

After what I've gone through I can't recommend buying one. It's a total crap shoot if you'll get insured or not and it has nothing to do with the state you live in. The only way I got insured was by finding an agent who was stubborn enough to keep pushing through multiple rejections. He partially did it because of how ridiculous it was that no-one would insure it just because it used to be an ambulance. Logically I, and my passengers, will be FAR safer than a box truck which they'd happily ensure.

I would note that the veterans here who have access to that veterans only insurance seemed to have no problems. So, if you're a veteran you've got a better shot at it.

But it's not an ambulance anymore if it doesn't have lights, sirens, a stretcher...

They explicitly did not care about that. Progressive and everyone else knew that I was going to convert it to an RV and they did not care. As far as they are concerned it is an ambulance regardless of what is going on inside it. As long as the external body stays ambulance shaped. It's an ambulance. I think removing the box would be the only way to get around that and then you've spent way too much money.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about a Type III ambulance. That's a van front with a big box on the back. I suspect that none of what I said applies to Type II ambulances (vans with too much crap shoved in them). I would explicitly recommend NOT buying a type II ambulance because you can get a sprinter cheaper without all the crap in it, and there is very little space left in those once they've been loaded up with all the cabinetry to support the EMTs. Type One's are probably the same as a Type III for the purposes of this discussion.

Arelsprite

Yes! I’m talking about the same box van ambulance type.
Yeah, I know by law the sirens and any emergency vehicle colors and markings must be removed to avoid public confusion. I told progressive that would be done. Meanwhile, while the ambu gets converted, I needed to insure it but they said in both scenarios they would not do it.
That I could go through a third party or local agent to do that. Kinda stupid, knowing the local agency would be also progressive. ???

Any other potential solutions before buying it?

Gr8ful

I had no issues & just posted I'll help someone on Cheap RV forum. My title said Ford E350 cutaway, called my insurance no problem just gave them the VIN & Ford E350 cutaway. Went to the DMV & I'd had the firechief sign it was decommisioned. They asked if I had, sleeping, cooking & maybe toilet facilities I sad yes, now it's titles & tagged a MH. Nothing to it!

masukomi

Yeah, I know by law the sirens and any emergency vehicle colors and markings must be removed to avoid public confusion. I told progressive that would be done. Meanwhile, while the ambu gets converted, I needed to insure it but they said in both scenarios they would not do it.

Technically what you have to remove varies by state. I would suggest that removing the "ambulance" words and the star of life are absolutely necessary. I'm pretty sure (but haven't checked all the states) that you don't actually have to remove the lights. Some states say you can't have red flashers, some say you can't have blue flashers. Ours are red/yellow so I plan on swapping them for white/floods. There's nothing illegal about having bright lights on / around your vehicle (witness all the many light bars on this forum). It's really just a question of could you be confused with an emergency vehicle. Some states are fine with the siren. Some aren't. I think "disabling" it (give it an off switch or take out the fuse) should be sufficent. I like the idea of keeping it somewhat operable in case I actually have a life threatening emergency and need to rush to a hospital. I'd rather pay that ticket than not have the option. But you definitely need to make sure you can't accidentally turn it on.

So when you called progressive did you tell them that you were insuring an econoline box truck or van?

no, because then they could just claim insurance fraud and not pay if anything happened. Also, when they look up the vin it comes up as an "ambulance" body type. Lying will only work against you in the long run in this case.

I had no issues & just posted I'll help someone on Cheap RV forum. My title said Ford E350 cutaway, called my insurance no problem just gave them the VIN & Ford E350 cutaway. Went to the DMV & I'd had the firechief sign it was decommisioned. They asked if I had, sleeping, cooking & maybe toilet facilities I sad yes, now it's titles & tagged a MH. Nothing to it!

Wow, congratulations! I don't know why yours says cutaway and mine says ambulance, because mine started out life as an e-450 cutaway too. Would have saved me a ton of trouble.

Re it having facilities. I'd look up what exactly your state requires and get them in there before you drive it again. If someone hits you and they find out it doesn't actually have all the stuff required for an RV in your state then you're looking at possibly having the Insurance company trying to not pay again and possible issues with the state / title if they get involved. My wife used to work for a personal injury lawyer. They regularly had to deal with insurance companies doing everything within their power to get out of paying out, including defending the other guy in court.

masukomi

re different rules about what you must remove by state: My understanding is that other states don't have to honor your state's rules. So, if your state says you're legal with having red flashers on it, but your neighbor state doesn't, you can still be ticketed in the neighbor state. It really sucks, especially since there's no central list or easy way to research the requirements of each state.

Deshet

Adventurer
What about an umbrella policy? Covers all your personal property.

I have an umbrella policy through my home insurance but I am not sure if it would cover car insurance. It covers me if someone sues me personally but I don't think the state will see it as car insurance. My state does random audits and if you have plates and no insurance they will suspend your license and charge you $500.

Never say Ambulance when talking to insurance

Sprinter Vans, Conversion Vans, Camper Vans, and Cutaway vans all have to be manually entered by the insurance agent as conversion vans. If you continue to say conversion van they will add it. It is honestly a conversion van built by Horton, Medtec, etc. Not many things on the road safer are then an ambulance. Some companies limit the weight on private policies to 12,000# you may as well get it insured as an RV if you exceed 12000#. ($300 - $400 a year) Every Ambulance that I have owned has a sticker somewhere that says Ambulance/RV Package. In my state adding a Microwave and sink gets an Ambulance RV status.

Gr8ful

It came with no flashing light, siren or stickers, clean as a pin & now it's a MH, cheap ins & tags. I wanted to buy a Cummins 12 valve school bus & my ins co wouldn't cover it, they said most dangerous vehicle on the road for roll overs. So why do we haul our lids in them?

Fredricksen

The original title of my Type III said "cutaway" as well..

I removed the red lenses, and used one of those "wizzy wheels" to remove the lettering. I had to send pictures to my insurance agent. It looks more like an ambo than a MH, but I got coverage.

When I was registering it.. the lady at DMV asked if there was writing on the sides.. I said 'no'.. asked if there were seats in the back, I said "yes".. With seat belts? I said of course.. She said "okay" and ticked the box for "house on wheels". And so says my title.

I guess I got off lucky..

fishflyguy

Ok after 4 different Insc. companies Statefarm provided full coverage for $140 a month. A little expensive but just grateful "Tons of Fun" is now fully legal and titled as a Motorhome.
Things I learned in the many conversations with agents. Never mention
1. AMBULANCE
2. Its a conversion

First they will ask what type of Chassy. I told them Freightliner Fl60. They will ask what is the name on the box or the name on the outside of the "RV".

Now at this point is why I think I am insured now, instead of the 3 other companies saying NO.

In all honesty I simply answerd the question by replying with American LaFrance...... NEVER MENTIONED AMBULANCE. I assume they just figured it's the name of a RV manufacturer and all is good and here we are.
I live in Oregon if you want the Statefarm agent message me and I will give you the contact info. Otherwise happy trails and I guess medium duty ambulances can in fact be legally insured20190730_185409.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior