Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

igorm

Hello All,
has anyone added a second row of seats to their class2 ambulance? Any thoughts on how to do this? Are the mounting points/reinforcements for the rails etc... typically pre-welded into the chassis or is this something that would need to be added if mounting an OEM bench?

Are there other options for doing bucket seats etc... while leaving most of the driver side cabinetry intact?

I'd like to figure out how to add two seats with seatbelts etc... behind driver/passenger ideally these would be on a swivel so can rotate to face the rear of the van.

thanks,

iggi

Ian
@igorm Do you have one of those Squad chairs in the rear? I plan to add a second row of seats, will mount them them using the hardware from the two seats I removed.
Other ambo owners have used the 3rd row seats from Yukon/Escalade.

Here's my evolving thread on the topic.

Hello All,
has anyone added a second row of seats to their class2 ambulance? Any thoughts on how to do this? Are the mounting points/reinforcements for the rails etc... typically pre-welded into the chassis or is this something that would need to be added if mounting an OEM bench?

Are there other options for doing bucket seats etc... while leaving most of the driver side cabinetry intact?

I'd like to figure out how to add two seats with seatbelts etc... behind driver/passenger ideally these would be on a swivel so can rotate to face the rear of the van.

thanks,

igorm

Thanks this is great. I have not picked out my ambulance and want to make sure i can safely mount seats for the kiddos before I do.

When you say squad chair you mean the single seater jump seat? or the bench for 3x peole that runs length?

I'm looking at the class 2 ambo and all the ones i've seen has the single jump seat i assume there is mounting below that could work for some OEM bench or similar? Does anyone have a picture of what is below that box that the seat is on?

@igorm Do you have one of those Squad chairs in the rear? I plan to add a second row of seats, will mount them them using the hardware from the two seats I removed.
Other ambo owners have used the 3rd row seats from Yukon/Escalade.

Here's my evolving thread on the topic.

iggi

Ian
Yes, referring to the single seat.
Normal vans have seat mounts in the floor. I could be wrong but I doubt those are omitted for the Type 2 Ambulances.

Thanks this is great. I have not picked out my ambulance and want to make sure i can safely mount seats for the kiddos before I do.

When you say squad chair you mean the single seater jump seat? or the bench for 3x peole that runs length?

I'm looking at the class 2 ambo and all the ones i've seen has the single jump seat i assume there is mounting below that could work for some OEM bench or similar? Does anyone have a picture of what is below that box that the seat is on?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Normal vans have seat mounts in the floor. I could be wrong but I doubt those are omitted for the Type 2 Ambulances.

For a Type2, the ambo builders would start with a Cargo van (no floor mounts) vs a Passenger van (floor mounts). You can look to the Mobility industry for mobility-rated(ie wheelchair-rated) L-track/hardware. Cargo Equipment Corp's heavy duty L-track should still be mobility rated (whereas supposedly most of Mac's Custom Tiedown track is rated for gear only, NOT people). Then attach seating to the L-track. Many of the Sprinter vans have been doing this with seats from Europe too, like those from SmartFloor Seating.

Feitl

McCoy Miller
481e4491de38282514ebf4342f5ae16b.jpg

ac7426b1ef07c466ec1af275fd929191.jpg
Hey CJKen... I have a 4x4 McCoy Miller also.. I have that same control board.. where is that siren green wire coming from?

also did you unplug that wire on the bottom right of the picture? Or leave that connected? My board currently doesn’t have either of those plugged in in the back of board.

thanks

cjken

Explorer
I pulled the PARK wire which solved my battery drain problem. I believe that I left the siren wire connected. I still have the sirens hooked up. At least for the time being. I don’t remember exactly, but I think that the siren wire goes the siren module which, in my case, Is in The center console.

rlrenz

Explorer
The clearance lights can also cause a drain - it's common to wire the front corner clearance light on the driver's side to stay ON if the vehicle battery switch is ON. That lets someone walking by see if the vehicle power is still ON

Feitl

I pulled the PARK wire which solved my battery drain problem. I believe that I left the siren wire connected. I still have the sirens hooked up. At least for the time being. I don’t remember exactly, but I think that the siren wire goes the siren module which, in my case, Is in The center console.
I’m in the infancy stage of detecting which switch does what..
same in my case.. there is a group of 3 wires that run up to the sirens.. I connected them but can’t seem to get them to work just yet. Also I’m trying to figure out the air horn.
I’m still in the infancy of trying to find out the whole system. I took apart the cab area and made a custom box that better utilized the space. I also made a customer center console to run the wires beneath. Makes it easier to enter the ambulance, also hides all of those wires.

Attachments

• 671CFFC8-3FAF-4132-9FFF-53E5E259EF10.jpeg
    671CFFC8-3FAF-4132-9FFF-53E5E259EF10.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 48

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
Love this post, ambos are special, I have owned many. FYI If anyone out there wants to build a big Chevrolet Duramax truck base ambo box I have a very nice one. Built by Wheeled Coach, was on a 2012 1 ton, nicest box I have had yet, its a tall model, I can stand straight up in it so its tall, like 6.2 inside. Also has a side window, my last ambo camper was a bit dark inside so I like the widow option. Some outside emergency lights have been removed. Located in Farmington NM can deliver to Durango and surrounding for a fee. I have huge forklifts for loading. $4000 firm.
005.JPG074.JPG079.JPG
021.JPG

bozwell13

Adventure Dad
I used seats from a shuttle van, they come in rows or 2-3, they are high backed, recline, arm rests, are heavy duty, have built in seat belts and attach to a flat floor with massive backing plates. Look for normal extended vans that were airport type shuttles, the seats are far superior to factory.

kurtismonger

Hi all. Thought it was time to introduce myself, perhaps a bit late in my decision making process. My name is Michael, I'm 50 and at present, live in Michigan. I've been lurking on the forum since spring, catching up on posts as part of my research. Came across the idea of an ambulance conversion after seeing The Lost Box on YouTube and took a deep dive immediately. Going to be living in it full-time and as a 6'2" lunker with a childhood fascination with semi trucks, gravitated to a medium duty. Settled on a 2010 Horton/International DuraStar 4300LP with the 7.6L Maxxforce DT (~85,000 miles/~8400 hours) from Southern Florida. It took a few months of navigating government bureaucracy, but it is officially mine: Full Sharps container, nauseating regret and all. It was decommissioned in 2020 and has been stationary for a year. It started with a jump and after an hour of idling, the batteries, which were new in 2018, are holding a charge. It's not currently leaking any liquid and the oil level is dead on. It is low on coolant, but when running, the temp holds mid-guage (~170) and it is visibly pumping coolant. It appears the level is just below the coolant tank sensor, which may be why it's kicking a check engine light. It builds air to around 120psi, but sounds like it has a leak underneath around the air tanks once shut off, which I haven't tracked down yet. It's also throwing an ABS warning light, a brake error light and a stop sign symbol with an exclamation point. Waiting to try and drive it, at least until I get some coolant added to see if that resolves the check engine light. I have the Horton manual, but not the chassis manual, so I'm not sure exactly what the above error symbols are (other than ABS and check engine). It does have a WABCO Full Power Brake System, which appears to be a nitrogen boosted, hydraulic system with an air parking brake.
Whew. So my question for the forum here is if anyone has a recommendation for a mobile diesel mechanic or a shop in the Miramar/North Miami area, should I need (or when I need) help before heading back to Michigan? Any troubleshooting suggestions would be welcome as well.

rlrenz

Explorer
With the Wabco ABS system, it's normal for the light to be on when you start -- after you pass 5 mph or so, the light should go out. Re: service-- find an independent shop - the cost will be a lot less than the dealer. A dealer may give you fleet price on parts if you ask

kurtismonger

I'm not sure what is causing the red Stop lamp, but I found a sticker on the visor related to the emission system dash lights. It provides the various levels of exhaust filter conditions and notes that lamp means a serious problem has occurred and engine may shutdown soon, pull over and call for service. However, I was able to pull the fault codes and there are 3 active codes and 15 previously active. Of the three, one is the HVAC motor in the dash is jammed, another is the ABS (abnormal rate of change) and one is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. One would assume that if the Stop Lamp was related to the exhaust gas regeneration it would throw a code referencing that. But the code I'm getting (SPN:27-FMI:14) indicates the exhaust recirculation valve is unable to close; stuck or sticking EGR valve. I'm told, though I have no idea how reliable this is, that EGR valves are regularly deleted to improve performance. I'm not interested in that, but I basically want to know if it's safe for the engine to drive with that issue so I can get to where I'm going (Florida > Michigan) and then dig into the issue/replace the valve.
Besides the ABS issue, everything else with the truck looks to be in fine order. There may be a small coolant leak, but I'm not seeing any in the oil, at least visual evidence. I did find what was apparently a palm rats nest with a bunch of grocery bags and leaves nestled between the turbo and engine. It had chewed a wiring harness thermal wrap, but I can't find any evidence of chewed wires.

Ambolorian

Greetings,
I've read thru the forum but still have a question about replacing the exterior halogen bulbs on the sides of the van.

Here is what I'm working with:
halogen2.jpghalogen1.jpg
I pulled on the bulb to see if I could remove them but they seem pretty tight and I didn't want to break them.

My question is: Do these pull out?.. and can I replace them with G4 LED bulbs?
Or do I need to replace the whole assembly?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles