Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

rlrenz

Explorer
Just an update. Found this label in the electrical cabinet. So I’m thinking this had a box swap. So time to track down a 1987 wheeled coach manual. But who knows how hacked this thing is at this point so probably wouldn’t be helpful anyways.
4f2847aa866c2a1a9faa7542d3fe9863.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That testing label is found in new units. The manufacturer certifies that the completed ambulance meets the required standards.

The largest supplier of chassis for both new and re-mounted units is Ford, and the dealers who re-mount re-use as much wiring as possible. Usually, lighting is upgraded to LED, upholstery is replaced, new exterior graphics, new flooring, whatever the customer wants

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Been trying Google and this forum - Is anybody familiar with the Granning Air Glide airbag suspension system found in the bigger Ambos - The question is : To swap to singles in the rear that is equipped with the above suspension is it as simple as running the bags set higher? Can a "lift" be added? Or is it a remove and replace affair. Assuming the plan is swapping to something like 1stattack, Buckstop etc singles. The rig is an early F450

rlrenz

Explorer
Been trying Google and this forum - Is anybody familiar with the Granning Air Glide airbag suspension system found in the bigger Ambos - The question is : To swap to singles in the rear that is equipped with the above suspension is it as simple as running the bags set higher? Can a "lift" be added? Or is it a remove and replace affair. Assuming the plan is swapping to something like 1stattack, Buckstop etc singles. The rig is an early F450

Medium ambulances are built on medium truck chassis, hence the name. My own unit is a Medic Master on a Freightliner chassis. Air suspensions are needed for both the ride and to enable the suspension to lower to comply with loading height requirements. Generally, the suspension only drops about 4-6 inches.

If you just replace duals with singles, the existing air bag system should be sized correctly. The air bag system doesn't balance the vehicle on air pressure - it raises the rear end to the height set by the valving. Be careful if you plan super-singles -- several people in this forum have tried, and found that the ride was about that of a dump truck, and have gone back to duals.

Using the sir suspension to obtain added lift for larger tires will run into problems when the vehicle is shut down and the suspension lowers, possibly interfering with the tires.

cjken

Explorer
Alright, electrical question for all of you s as ambiance gurus.

I’m sorting out my electrical. I have the box power completely separated and in a separate battery bank. However, when the box circuit is energized it some how signals the dash to light up and also turns on some cab functions.
The cab functions being on are draining the cab/motor battery bank as a result. Any ideas where I cdd as n find whatever is signaling the cab functions to be activated via the box electrical system??
My other Ambo was so simple to separate.
185f9cbe6bc14082214376b0b2f2d67b.jpg

Other separate question. The fluorescent lights which I may eventually eliminate seem to be somehow tied into both the 12v and 120v systems. Is that normal??

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

I’m sorting out my electrical. I have the box power completely separated and in a separate battery bank. However, when the box circuit is energized it some how signals the dash to light up and also turns on some cab functions.
The cab functions being on are draining the cab/motor battery bank as a result. Any ideas where I cdd as n find whatever is signaling the cab functions to be activated via the box electrical system??

Other separate question. The fluorescent lights which I may eventually eliminate seem to be somehow tied into both the 12v and 120v systems. Is that normal??

It sounds like your anti-theft switch (circuit) is on. It allows the rig to stay running even if you remove the key.

12/120 for fluorescent sounds familiar... but I’ve never had.

rlrenz

Explorer

Couple of questions.... who made your ambulance module (not the vehicle, but the ambulance portion), and what kind of control system (relays, solid state)? Also, how old is the module?

Most ambulances with fluorescent lights use "Thin-lite" fluorescents. These are 12 volt, so they probably run off your inverter/charger when you're on shore power. I've seen them converted to LED by replacing the fluorescents with LED strips

cjken

Explorer
b7dc19e5130c3f283c22426e433366c1.jpg

This brown device is some kind I’d solenoid that has 120v on one side of it and is associated with the fluorescents. Other side goes to 12v system.

I like the idea of LED strips as replacements.

cjken

Explorer
It sounds like your anti-theft switch (circuit) is on. It allows the rig to stay running even if you remove the key.

12/120 for fluorescent sounds familiar... but I’ve never had.

I’ll look into that, but why would that need to be attached to the box side of the electrical system.
Any clues on identifying it?
Thanks
Guys.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ll look into that, but why would that need to be attached to the box side of the electrical system.
Any clues on identifying it?
Thanks
Guys.
In the original Crestline configuration, the box only stays powered on while there’s oil pressure. People can’t turn on the ignition circuit when it’s not running.

The idea is that the driver can pull up on scene at night, throw it in park, hit the parking brake, push the battery protect button on the throttle control, turn on all the scene lights, and walk away with the keys. The steering wheel is locked, the shifter is locked in park, and the rig will shut down if the ‘Anti-theft’ switch is turned off or the box is powered down... and until it’s running again

cjken

Explorer
Interesting.
I’ll have to try to sort that out.
I’d like to disable it since if camping and running the box electrical I don’t want it draining my start batteries by keeping the dash lit up.

rlrenz

Explorer
Since you have a Crestline, why not give them a call? With the solid state controls you have, it's going to be a challenge to figure out without a lot of wire searching. They should also be able to get you an electrical diagram

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
He’s got a Miller McCoy... just they all meet certain national standards and often work similar as a result. Also it’d a highly competitive industry and no manufacturer wants another to have features they don’t.

I disabled the oil pressure switch so that the box is powered whenever I want it... and replaced the house batteries with golf cart batteries.

cjken

Explorer
Found it!!
Thanks everyone.
It was this green wire that was plugged into a connector labeled PARK1 on the cab console circuit board.
c17025880b91e68f19e143a928907f5e.jpg

74d9586016267f5ee2160c2705138c6a.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Found it!!
Thanks everyone.
It was this green wire that was plugged into a connector labeled PARK1 on the cab console circuit board.
c17025880b91e68f19e143a928907f5e.jpg

74d9586016267f5ee2160c2705138c6a.jpg
Excellent

I don’t envy those circuit boards.
I’m quite happy to have a panel of breakers and all the wiring associated with them. Much easier to fix/modify. IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94