Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Before
View attachment 571898
After
View attachment 571899
$20 from Amazon. Happy with quality. Not sure about the plastic covers, but the connections are now solid.
I wasn’t able to find a reasonably priced end that would take all three heavy cables to the one + terminal.

It sure beats $300-500 for a replacement cable and half a day to install them. They'd also be useful for all sort's of other vehicles also.

Mine were from COROTC... now they seem to want $55 cdn or $15 usd. Different sellers seem to have a wide range of prices for products that look the same.
Save your money... the COROTC ones have failed and I’m still trying to get replacements or my money back for them.
BE047611-32AE-46F5-B1E0-C55A0C267AA3.jpeg

Try #2. Billet 6061 Aluminum. Much stronger design and able to fit up to 6 heavy cables on each terminal.
5E9A07A8-84C1-4AFB-97C9-619A0B6EACD4.jpeg
Twice the price, but batteries and tows aren’t cheap so...

bgflyguy

Someone had some questions about a ripped out 110 plug behind the drives seat. I dont have any answers, but maybe they were disconnecting an engine heater or something. I cant find the thread now, but I'll post a couple of pages from my book.
20200624_204207.jpg20200624_204228.jpg

billiebob

wow 1000 replies, but I know I'll have to read it all. I consider an ambulance the premier rig for winter overlanding and I intend to explore the Northwest Territories winter roads, especially the road thru Wrigley, Tulita, Norman Wells, Fort Good Hope and Tsighehchic to Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk. Having flown over the Dempster I cannot imagine driving it. But yeah, winter road, driving on ice, very cool.

ice roads.jpg

I look at ambulances, the bigger ones on Freightliner or International chassis and I see something real common with northern commercial trucks which means mechanical services, even parts will be readily available, at Northern prices. Plus, ambulances come with incredible electrical systems, often AC and fabulous heaters. Serviceable at any northern shop they are a great choice North of 60. One day it'll happen.

s-l1600.jpeg

Last edited:

iggi

Ian
Hey Ken,

Resurrecting a very old post of yours. Just clarifying your final setup.
You have a standard width SRW front axle and then spacers on your DRW rear axle?

Thanks,
Ian

While i'm at it I'll share the evolution of my tire and rim combos.
I posted something similar in the sportsmibile rim and tire gallery, but thought the ambo FAQ would be a good spot as well

I know finding the right combo for a 4x4 van is a challenge. Even tougher for an ambo since you also have to decide SRW or DRW.

First
Regular q-van
285 75 r16
View attachment 308218

Ambo stock dually tires and rims.
View attachment 308219

Next
37 12.5 r16.5 military goodyears on 12-bolt h1 rims
View attachment 308220
View attachment 308221
View attachment 308222
View attachment 308223
The 37's worked well for about 2yrs but the road noise started to get to me on longer trips. Also they are really heavy I had fears of them destroying my front end parts slowly over time.

Next swapped DRW hubs to SRW
Put stock SRW tires and rims while waiting for a set of 35's
View attachment 308224

Finally current setup 35 12.5 r17 BFG AT KO2
ATX AX199 rim -12 offset

View attachment 308225View attachment 308226
View attachment 308227

So far the 35's are proving to be really nice!!

cjken

Explorer
Hey Ken,

Resurrecting a very old post of yours. Just clarifying your final setup.
You have a standard width SRW front axle and then spacers on your DRW rear axle?

Thanks,
Ian

So the current setup on my E350 mini-mod is SRW front hubs. Regular 17” rims. No spacers on rear.
If you zoom in on the pics below you can see about where the tires sit.

I have some 2.5” rear spacers if any one is looking, but you don’t need them if you run regular backspaced rims. I used them when I ran the 37” H1 setup which had 7” backspacing.
6afa88ac594f94d0990333be14e91bd7.jpg

21fb18cb97fe3819ce6bf1326914847f.jpg

Kevanbulance

Long time listener, first-time caller. I've got a 2007 Ford Leader Ambulance and am at a stop on the conversion. I'd like to remove the climate control unit in the cabin, but have no idea (or skill level) where to start. Also, is there a way to remove the hoses without draining the radiator? The unit is an ACC Climate Control model # 2209D0068. I've attached some photos for reference. The ambo is a type-2. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_1732.jpegIMG_1734.jpegIMG_1736.jpegIMG_1733.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
You can remove the heater hoses without draining the radiator although some antifreeze will come out of the heater core and hoses so have a 5 gallon bucket ready. You'll need a hose coupler to connect the two hoses to each other after you remove the heater. For the AC you'll need to have the whole system evacuated by an AC shop before disconnecting the lines. I'm not sure if you need to cap the AC lines or connect them to each other to get the cab AC working again though. Hopefully someone that knows will chime in because I'm at that stage and would like to know what to do.

Kevanbulance

I've decided to keep it. Moving it to the back of the van and ducting underneath the fixed bed back into the cabin. I'm sure I'll have more asinine questions for the thread as this build continues.

jagarcia89

Wow this is a helpful thread. I am still reading through it and am at about page 40.

I'm skipping ahead though, because I leave on Thursday to fly to Pheonix to pick up a 1996 Type 1 Power stroke and drive it the 30+ hours back to Michigan. So my question to all you guys more experienced is what should I bring along for the journey? Any particular tools or parts I should have on hand for common break downs of something that age? It's got 41k miles and is in what appears to be good shape, but at almost 25 years old, I know I should be ready for something to break.

Also, anyone have any idea who made this box? I can't find any others that have the same type of storage compartments on the back side next to the rear doors.

I have not decide whether this will be a full gut and rebuild using what cabinets I can, but that seems like a waste. The deciding factor for me will likely be if its got insulation.

Attachments

• ambu front left.jpeg
    ambu front left.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 39
  • ambu inside.jpeg
    ambu inside.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • ambu rear left.jpeg
    ambu rear left.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7297.jpg
    IMG_7297.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 39

rlrenz

Explorer
The photos don't tell me who made your box, but they did tell me that it's NOT a Medic Master or a Wheeled Coach. Medic Master has a the American LaFrance "Bar & Bird" on the vehicle. Wheeled Coach has marker lights built into the corners of the box - here's what they look like:

eagle.jpg 108.jpg

eporter

Adventurer
That’s a sweet rig. Look up 7.3 truck issues. I had one in my old ambo and carried an extra CPS sensor with me. Common failure that’ll leave you stranded but is easy to change. New fuel filter and air filter. Last oil change? Tire condition? Bring a sleeping pad/bag for sleeping in the box and have fun!

jagarcia89

rlrenz

Explorer
Somewhere in one of your compartments, there should be a manufacturer's label that certifies the ambulance meets various certification requirements. It usually is in the same compartment as the oxygen bottle hookup, and other tags may be in your electtical cabinrt or with the AC equipment.

cjken

Explorer
Wow this is a helpful thread. I am still reading through it and am at about page 40.

I'm skipping ahead though, because I leave on Thursday to fly to Pheonix to pick up a 1996 Type 1 Power stroke and drive it the 30+ hours back to Michigan. So my question to all you guys more experienced is what should I bring along for the journey? Any particular tools or parts I should have on hand for common break downs of something that age? It's got 41k miles and is in what appears to be good shape, but at almost 25 years old, I know I should be ready for something to break.

Also, anyone have any idea who made this box? I can't find any others that have the same type of storage compartments on the back side next to the rear doors.

I have not decide whether this will be a full gut and rebuild using what cabinets I can, but that seems like a waste. The deciding factor for me will likely be if its got insulation.

Maybe bring a IR thermometer to keep an eye o the front wheel bearings. I got mine with about 40k miles and had a wheelbering failure.
I think it sat for a while and maybe got some water through the seals or something like that.

Once back check out all the rubber hoses and o-rings as they may be dried out.

Good luck with trip back!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles