Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

jhoyt

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I appreciate all the input. I called Wheeled Coach (REV, actually) but didn't get through to a human being yet. Right now I'd kill for a wiring diagram.

I appreciate the advice to take things slow. There are so many little jobs to do, it gets overwhelming. My first priority is to get the door locks working so I can leave tools in there. Some of the cylinders won't lock, some won't unlock, and some doors won't open even though they aren't locked. I'm going to open them up where I can and start fixing/replacing things.

After that I'd like to figure out the master power switch, so it doesn't kill the truck completely when I turn it off. There are a ton of power sucking things in the back right now, so I need to turn if off whenever the engine is running and it's not on shore power. I want to make it so the OEM stuff stays working, even when the switch is off. I've been on shore power ever since I got it, so I don't think the things that aren't working are due to the batteries.

The next thing will be getting rid of some of those parasites. I'll change the isolator for an ACR, get rid of the radio, etc. At that point I'll maybe be ready to start working on the 'living' space? Once that happens I'm sure I'll be back with a ton of new questions.

patoz

Expedition Leader
What kind of radio does it have? I might be interested in it.

If your ambulance was a 1999 or newer model, your master power switch problem would be solved. On March 1, 1999 Ford issued a QVM Bulletin No. Q-63, which basically states:

"There should be NO battery disconnect switches or devices installed that in any way cut-off power to the Ford chassis.
Any battery disconnect devices should interrupt power to the Ambulance module only. From this date forward it will be a
violation of QVM guidelines to install a battery disconnect switch to the Ford chassis."

Attachments

• Battery Disconnect Switch - QVM Bulletin No. Q-63 - GetFile.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 16

jhoyt

What kind of radio does it have? I might be interested in it.

It's a motorolla. I'm attaching pictures of the handset and another part I found. There's probably more to it as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4674.JPG
    IMG_4674.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 35

jhoyt

If your ambulance was a 1999 or newer model, your master power switch problem would be solved. On March 1, 1999 Ford issued a QVM Bulletin No. Q-63, which basically states:

"There should be NO battery disconnect switches or devices installed that in any way cut-off power to the Ford chassis.
Any battery disconnect devices should interrupt power to the Ambulance module only. From this date forward it will be a
violation of QVM guidelines to install a battery disconnect switch to the Ford chassis."

It seems surprising to me that they ever allowed it in the first place.

Another question, there are some 12v powered devices behind the passenger seat. Picture attached. Any idea what these are?

Attachments

• IMG_4729.JPG
    IMG_4729.JPG
    489.1 KB · Views: 36

patoz

Expedition Leader
That looks like an old Motorola analog cell phone, rather than a radio. I ran all three of those numbers but got nothing on any of them.

The two items behind the seat are MagLite Chargers.

1574274973991.png

Mikedada

More electrical ambulance troubleshooting:

Been tracking down my source of parasitic power loss.
Even after eliminating the faulty power connect switch I was still seeing a steady 1.15 amps being drawn with all accessories and lights turned off.
Turning the ambulance connect power on and off revealed a relay that was activating.
Disconnecting it dropped the power loss to .03 amps. Not perfect, but tolerable.

UPDATE: Figured it out.. The relay below controls the coolant switch to the rear heater. No power to the relay, no hot water into the rear heater.

---

So what is this relay? (standard 30amp Bosch Relay)
Number 12 on the chart below.

View attachment 539582

It's identified as being for a Shut Off Valve. Since it's not connected to full-time power it's obviously not related to the engine or anything active while in normal driving.
I'm still not 100% what it controls but it in the maintenance manual I just found, it identifies the shut off valves as being part of the climate control.

I'm surprised that it's not wired in tandem with the heater blower but it's not.

View attachment 539583

So for the questions..
  1. Anyone know what this actually is and have a schematic of how it works?
  2. Does this sound normal that some sort of rear heater activation switch would draw over an amp?
  3. If this is normal then I plan to run a dedicated switch to activate the relay only when I need rear heat as opposed to it being on standby anytime the ambulance connect power is on. Any reason this is a bad idea?
Thanks in advance.
So how did you fix the relay, is that fuse 12? I'm having the same problem.

iggi

Ian
So how did you fix the relay, is that fuse 12? I'm having the same problem.
Relay 12, not fuse 12. Temporarily I just pulled it out and put it back in for when I need rear heat. Was going to replace it with a simple toggle switch. Have a spare one in the either the front console or rear panel.

Railvan

Adventurer
A couple of questions for the group as I try to learn more about ambulance boxes:

I found this description near the top of this thread:

"What types of Ambulances are there to choose from?
Type 3- A cut-away van based ambulance with an aluminum box.
Type 3 MiniMod- A smaller type 3. Easiest identified by the front, the edge of the cab sits nearly flush with the side of the box whereas a standard box has an extra 18" or so. These boxes are smaller, lighter, and often come standard with a single rear wheel axle as opposed to a dual rear wheel setup."

When I Google for photos and info of the smaller Type 3 MiniMod I don't get much. Is this "MiniMod" name a nickname given by Expo camper fans or a description from the ambulance builders?

I am trying to find the outside length, width, and height of a "miniMod" box. Oh, and the wheel well centerline from the front of the box. Bottom line, I'm wondering how well it would fit on a Fuso FG truck?

Any info to share?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
I measured mine once for someone.
I can’t remember exactly, but I believe my box is 84” wide and about 144” long. I’ll have to re measure the height I just can’t remember that.
I believe it is about 84” from back of cab to center of wheels.
Both of the boxes that I have are mini-mods

68a6846340eb7c4d243cb1eecd64447c.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I measured mine once for someone.
I can’t remember exactly, but I believe my box is 84” wide and about 144” long. I’ll have to re measure the height I just can’t remember that.
I believe it is about 84” from back of cab to center of wheels.
Both of the boxes that I have are mini-mods

68a6846340eb7c4d243cb1eecd64447c.jpg

Sounds about right. Mine’s a hair bigger at 88” wide, dually, 148” long, and 66” inside height. It’s a Crestline New Era... the minimod are more like 64” high inside... but I’ve never seen one firsthand.

eporter

Adventurer
My 1997 Horton minimod (short for mini module, or sometimes called a lunchbox) was approx. 84" wide, 145" long, & interior height 64". Drawings from the original build sheet:
a86037ec3f8a023ba614179eea01ea60.jpg

73b1e3db73038e08ac78127373a8209f.jpg

d5d3ff1673d21f063feb36b0af41f334.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
“This 2000 Ford E350 Wheeled Coach Type III Mini Mod Ambulance is for sale at Global Emergency Vehicles. It can rival the compact maneuverability of a Type II Ambulance, but will still give you the functionality you want from a Type III Ambulance.

Vehicle Features

-Potent 7.3L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine
-Strong Transmission
-Tight Suspension
-LT245/75/R16 Uniroyal Laredo HT Tires
-2WD with single rear wheels
-Dual Airbags
-Power Locks
-Power Windows
-Anti-Lock Brakes
-Power Brakes
-Power Steering
-Air Conditioning

Emergency Features

-Whelen AdvantEdge Front Light Bar
-Whelen Siren
-Grill Mounted Siren Speakers
-Air Horn

Patient Compartment Features

-Box Length: 145"
-Headroom: 64"
-Walk-through cab access
-Two 12V DC / Four 115V AC outlets
-Kussmaul Auto Eject Shoreline hook up
-Vanner Power Inverter
-3 Individual Squad Seats
-Exhaust Fans
-2 Oxygen Ports
-Flip-Up Rear Step
-14 Interior Compartments
-1 Locking Cabinet
-2 Exterior Compartments

This Compact Type III Mini Mod Ambulance by Wheeled Coach is a fantastic truck for anyone looking to buy an Ambulance that can maneuver through tight areas and traffic.“

iggi

Ian
Does anyone have more info on this accessory fuel pickup? My ambo is a 2009 and I've been trying to find a diagram of the the fuel system but haven't had any luck yet.
Trying to determine if the E350 Cutaways used this accessory fuel pickup.

Thanks,

Since this thread is back up:

E series vans have an accessory pickup in the fuel tank which is perfect for a diesel fired heater install. It comes with a plastic cap installed from the factory which makes it easy to identify.

This saves having to tap into the fuel line, adding an auxiliary tank, or drill a new pickup into the tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles