Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
If your seen lights use 2 pins 1/4” apart, the 5 w cob style G4 LEDs I bought through amazon still continue to put a big smile on my face. They are 100% even in light pattern without hot spots and approximately equivalent to a 40 w Halogen light in what they throw. The best part was they’re about $15/10... although one was a dud. I’ve got the listing posted earlier and in my build thread.

The G4 dimable bulbs I have in the overhead ‘operating lights’ inside occasionally come out of the sockets. I’m going to use medical locking ‘long nosed pliers’ (name will come to me later) as a heatsink on the two pins of each LED. Once the LED is protected from the heat from a soldering pencil, I’m going to ‘tin’ (apply a thin coat of solder) to each pin. The extra thickness (and softer solder) will give the sockets more to grab onto. I’ve also ordered two 12v Dimmers from Amazon to

patoz

Expedition Leader
"I’m going to use medical locking ‘long nosed pliers’ (name will come to me later)..."

They are called Kelly forceps or just Hemostats.

images

Gr8ful

I was looking for an ambulance conversion forum. Last fall I bought a 1993 Ford E350 with a 7.3 IDI, the best diesel excpt my last month made 5.9 12 valve Cummins. The ambo was from a high $$ suberb fire house & you know how firemen take care of their eqipment. It was the spare or 2nd unit with 80,000 actual miles, looks like a year old, rust free, power everything & it all works, front & rear heat & air, new tires, batteries, 250 amo altenator & serp belt last year. It has a shore power that heats the engine now. Here's a link to the Ford diesels https://autowise.com/ford-diesel-engine-history/ & some IDI info " Later is Better: If you have a choice, select the newest-model Ford IDI you can find, with the ’93 to ’94 years being best. You’ll get a better glow plug controller (D), serpentine belt system, and the turbo engine comes with stronger connecting rods. The 7.3L is desired more than the 6.9L because it has larger, ½-inch head bolts instead of 7⁄16-inch versions." No stickers or markings to deal with. Driving 75mph I get 16-18mph & couldn't be happier! Horton sent me the 50+ page built sheets. I'd like to find a good conversion forum or see this one used as I think they make the best built safest & best buy in class C or B campers. I paid $2k for mine drove it 200 miles home, drove it today & it was easier to tag a MH. I bought a 5kw diesel heater,$130 complete with remote & digiral control, a set of tire heat & pressure sensors with a solar dash controller that charges your phone & lap top $29, a wireless backup camera $29. Let me know if anyone else has interest or if I shold look elsewhere. Thanks! Eric

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second, this thread is not an 'old' thread, but one that is ongoing and was stated to give ambulance owners a place to start from, and to ask the general ambulance owner crowd questions. Most of the Ambulance to RV conversions build threads are located here, although there are some in other forum sections also.

Third, I read your post four times and I still do not understand what your question is. Please elaborate...

patoz

Expedition Leader
One thing I'k like to know if anyone has modded the altenator with a diode to add .6v charging using something like this or others methods I read about & watch you tubes http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/alt_mod.html or other step up DC to DC devices or mods?
Here a great vebsite that will help almost anyone at any level of battery knowlege. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

I can't help you with that one, but maybe someone else will chime in and be able to offer some help.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
One thing I'k like to know if anyone has modded the altenator with a diode to add .6v charging using something like this or others methods I read about & watch you tubes http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/alt_mod.html or other step up DC to DC devices or mods?
Here a great vebsite that will help almost anyone at any level of battery knowlege. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/
If you ditch the Diode battery isolator, and replace it with an ACR then there won't be the voltage drop. No voltage drop, and then the batteries will get the 14.4-14.5 volts they need to charge the fastest.

iggi

Ian
A few questions I couldn't find answers for.

1) for the Ford E350 with the 6.0 diesel. Where o where are the starting batteries? Manual says passenger side frame rail behind the door but.. don't see anything there.
Finally found the starting batteries. Crestline builds a really sweet battery box right under the side steps.

2) I've got a Crestline box. The paint (?) is in pretty good shape but doesn't have any gloss left. Any grease on the hands gets transferred to the body. What the best way to buff off the remainders of the sticker outlines and give it a good gloss again?

3) Couple weird things on the roof. Antennas? I'll post pics in a few minutes. No idea what they are.

Thanks!
Ian

Attachments

• IMG_9293.JPG
    IMG_9293.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9294.JPG
    IMG_9294.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
A few questions I couldn't find answers for.

1) for the Ford E350 with the 6.0 diesel. Where o where are the starting batteries? Manual says passenger side frame rail behind the door but.. don't see anything there.

2) I've got a Crestline box. The paint (?) is in pretty good shape but doesn't have any gloss left. Any grease on the hands gets transferred to the body. What the best way to buff off the remainders of the sticker outlines and give it a good gloss again?

3) Couple weird things on the roof. Antennas? I'll post pics in a few minutes. No idea what they are.

Thanks!
Ian

1. Sometime they are located in the right front lower compartment of the rear body. Did you check in there?

2. To get the decals off use a Wizzy Wheel. To restore the paint you will need to use rubbing compound, polishing compound, and finally a good wax or polish, with a lot of buffing in between each item. If it were me, I would hire a good auto detail guy and let him do it. It will probably cost a couple of hundred bucks, but if you don't know what you're doing it is well worth it.

3. Most likely what you have on the roof are two or maybe three VHF or UHF radio antenna mounts. You may even have one for cell phone or GPS tracking also.

rlrenz

Explorer
You probably also have a scanner antenna mount. It will be a little smaller than your VHF/UHF antenna mounts.

iggi

Ian
hey guys, looking for inspiration on converting the existing bench into a bed. Been busy with search and read about 75% of the FAQ but haven't found any good examples yet.
The bench in my Crestline is nicely designed and I'd like to maintain it's current function. I've seen some nice examples of extending slat beds but.. as I want to go 53inches wide and the current bench is 24.5 deep it seems like I have a problem with the two slat system like illustrated here: https://gnomadhome.com/diy-van-build-pullout-bed-frame/

Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks,
Ian

PS Pics of the current bench.
PSS I'd initially planned to go with a murphy style but after spending a bit of time inside decided I really want a window on that wall.

Lenross1

My current set up. 3/4 in plywood supported by 2-3 inch diameter pvc tube and pop up brackets ( on sink side). It folds on top of bench. Sleeps 3 adults or two adults two kids.

Attachments

• B8272B7B-29C7-419D-941C-16A1225CB922.jpeg
    B8272B7B-29C7-419D-941C-16A1225CB922.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2DA463F8-5CB6-4C57-9F93-8767C9F0D456.jpeg
    2DA463F8-5CB6-4C57-9F93-8767C9F0D456.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • F3811606-9199-4D34-AFE5-FA677BD0358D.jpeg
    F3811606-9199-4D34-AFE5-FA677BD0358D.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 77

Forum statistics

Threads