Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

finboy

The type 1 I posted a couple pages back came up for sale again, unfortunately I lined up a schedule to look at it and someone else showed up with cash before my appointment. Back to the drawing board...

katyq02

I found out - what you all probably know - that replacing the red lenses on the outside of the ambu is expensive! 8 @ $gazillion each is prohibitive. Again, you may already know this, but a guy named sodawar on Ebay is selling ambu parts and I was able to get 4 clear for $125 total. He has a relationship with the scrap yard that when they get ambulance or firetruck in he gets first dibs on parts before they crush it. He is going to go for another sometime this month and try to find 4 more for me @ $25 each. He seemed like a very reasonable guy (the first lot was with 7 red, which I don't need/want so he may re-list them). I don't think Louisiana cares about red lenses, but from what I understand California and Nevada do, and I definitely plan to go West!

eporter

Adventurer
I swapped my reds to clear, but I think just pulling all the red lenses, sanding/scuffing & then painting white, is the cheapest/easiest way.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've been upgrading the original signal lights to LED bulbs and adding reflectors. The reflective surface I made by cutting some aluminum spray bottles, that I bought at the dollar store, in half lengthwise. The turn signal install had a couple bumps but they were resolved once all four bulbs were installed and the flasher replaced. Now at 1200 lumens a piece they flash light bright strobes.

The running lights had no issues.

The brake lights didn't work... because aparently I've not had working brake lights for days, weeks, months..

Thought I'd post up here because all the brake light troubleshooting tips for Econoline vans fall somewhat short when working on an ambulance conversion. Econoline vans ordinarily don't have separate brake lights but instead share the circuits with the turn signals.

For the conversion the brake lights are no longer wired through the hazard switch and the multifunction (turn signal) switch. Instead the brakes lights are connected into the OEM wiring after the brake light switch and the turn signals are isolated from the brake lights.

Rather than bog down this thread too much ----> https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/97-e350-crestline-ambo-build-mod.138887/page-13

patoz

Expedition Leader
That is a good idea! Thanks. I realize I haven't posted any pics yet, so here is an interior before/in-process pic. View attachment 446173

Katy, I love what you're doing with the inside. It definitely has that female touch, and also reminds me of some of our beach cottages, with all the wicker and everything!

If you prefer not to paint (which I hate) and need some 900 lenses, PM me and I may be able to point you in the right direction to pick some up fairly reasonable. Changing them to clear is the best option, because they can always be changed back if need be, but that makes clear the hardest ones to find because that is what everybody is looking for.

finboy

What would everyone put the real world value on this? Originally from somewhere in the states (I’m guessing rust belt by the undercarriage shots), and higher mileage (235k), but rebuilt tranny, tcase and new injectors. It has been posted for a few months now and the price came down from 15 Canadian (about 11 usd). Rebuilt driveline and injectors is nice, but no records on that, and there is no original documentation from the owner (not fleet owned). My thought sight unseen would be 8-9k Cdn (6-7k usd) but you guys have way more experience than me.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhom...ce/1350014465?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

katyq02

Katy, I love what you're doing with the inside. It definitely has that female touch, and also reminds me of some of our beach cottages, with all the wicker and everything!

If you prefer not to paint (which I hate) and need some 900 lenses, PM me and I may be able to point you in the right direction to pick some up fairly reasonable. Changing them to clear is the best option, because they can always be changed back if need be, but that makes clear the hardest ones to find because that is what everybody is looking for.
Thanks! In addition to getting keys made for the exterior storage (the guy was an artist and worked from a blank key and ground the keys right at the side of my ambu) and the back and side doors, I got the red lenses on the back traded out over the weekend. The 4 on the sides are awaiting lenses. If sodawar doesn't come through I will definitely PM you for direction to reasonable prices. BTW - I remember reading your wisdom early in this long thread about keeping all the hardware and pieces you remove in the event it can be reused in different places, etc. I have already received benefit from that wise counsel! You can never have too many latches and handles!

patoz

Expedition Leader
It's too late now, but most ambulance keys are pretty much standard. Manufacturers use about six different ones and they can be ordered just by the number on the locks.

Since most of our projects are 'make it up as you go', plans are bound to change along the way and so does the parts needed. Parts can be reused, reused in another application, traded, and sold on eBay, CL, or even this forum in the For Sale section.

clarkh

Observer
I have a 6 foot long grab bar removed from the ceiling of my ambo if anyone is in need. Trying to clear out my garage of the little bits i kept but didn't need.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’m looking for one to replace mine that’s missing. Is it 60” long or 72”?

I’ve been looking for one... where are you?

Deshet

Adventurer
I am selling 2 of my Ambulances.

One is the 1997 F350 4x4 7.3 diesel 200,000 miles $8500.00

The other is a 2008 Chevy C4500 Duramax 6.6 2wd 270,000 miles $7,000
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-c4500-topkick-duramax/6589377020.html
or
2008 Chevy C4500 Duramax 6.6 2wd 230,000 miles for $8500

I won't sell both of the C4500s only 1. They have 6 foot of head space.

The C4500s are twins, they were bought on the same day and removed from service on the same day. They both run and drive excellent

The pictures attached are of very similar units

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 46
  • Oakham_21A2_2010.jpg
    Oakham_21A2_2010.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 46

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member