Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Art4med

@Michics , what's your status? Ford 7.3L is strong, at least the later yrs, parts are common.
Overall, headroom is not *really a problem (I'm 6'2", GF is 6', my module is 5'7"), but ask me again in a year....
Selling feature: cut a footwell box into the floor (at the stove)-- even if its only in one area, provides relief to GF. Entry door step is another tall area; pad any corners. Just *how much standing do you do on the sofa?
I'm planning to convert my rear left box to an interior standing shower @7'1" for her. Day-to-day use will be interior food prep and exterior storage. Yes, that means removing the aluminum top of that box and sealing/insulating around the remains.
Hopefully, I'll be popping the top sometime in future [to produce headroom on cabinet side (port/left) and a second floor(!) for sleeping and bug-free lounging].
Remember, the *point is to live OUT OF the truck, not stay inside it.
True enuff, its tighter than an RV!

finboy

BTW finboy, none of your pictures are working... :oops:

The annoyances of switching from photobucket, the transition hasn't been smooth. If you can't see them below, let me know and I will upload from a desktop. Seller has dropped from $15k Canadian to $11k.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yeah, Photobucket really did everybody dirty with that move.

Nope, I still can't see any pictures and I'm on a desktop at home.

finboy

Ugh, for time being I just posted the links, will figure out image hosting tonight. I can't figure out which will be harder, finding a new mobile image hosting site, or getting my girlfriend to see the potential of an ambulance built in this century vs a camper van designed in the 80's :Wow1:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Why not just use the image uploader that's built into the forum? You can only do one picture at a time, but at least you know the picture will be there as long as the forum is in existence.

finboy

Will likely do that later tonight, the forum software doesn't play well with iPhones and tablets, so I will have to do it from my computer at home

patoz

Expedition Leader
Will likely do that later tonight, the forum software doesn't play well with iPhones and tablets, so I will have to do it from my computer at home

I wasn't aware of that since I do everything from my home computer.

michics

Towing Capability and Wiring Issues

I'm considering a ambulance to pull race car trailer and wondering what the capabilities are and how you mounted the receiver hitch.

Also what are the issues dealing with the electrics already in these vehicles. Would probable install refrigerator, microwave and some sort of water system.

Thanks

patoz

Expedition Leader
The annoyances of switching from photobucket, the transition hasn't been smooth. If you can't see them below, let me know and I will upload from a desktop. Seller has dropped from $15k Canadian to $11k.

What are you using to host these pictures. My Malware Protection is flagging it and will not let me open any of them! Must be some bad Ju Ju there.

finboy

lets try that again...

exterior
Ty9JNGc.jpg

interior with pass through
yvEA8Xl.jpg

rear diff leak
DoRR9PT.jpg

floor and frame (i'm guessing lots of gravel roads)
2eC1I12.jpg

side of the frame between cab and box
LyVJC1L.jpg

hours
4c12phY.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Alright, pictures I can see and I like what I see!

That's a nice looking rig, and everything I can see in the pictures looks pretty normal. You will be able to do a lot with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior