Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

rlrenz

Explorer
Just what is connected to OPTIONS is a challenge - because they are optional...

You're lucky that your manufacturer is still in business - my buggy is a Medic Master, and they went away in 2008, so any info is far and few between

In my case, I found that the load management panel would start the three remaining panels in sequence to minimize inrush current, and that options would be shed when the battery voltage drops. I had an optional IV bag heater that has since gone to a volunteer FD, but I'm still working to figure out the remaining 4 options.

MikeCG

Adventurer
Are there any sources for offroad rear bumpers for ambulances, or are we stuck having to get them custom made?

bobrenz

Observer
Ambulance rear bumpers are mostly standardized - check with Chris at Select-tech ambulances (www.selecttechambulances.com). Depending just how off road you want, he might have something. Also check with Ray at Foster Coach (ww.fostercoach.com) - he may have a used bumper left over from a remount.

eporter

Adventurer
I had Originally called Horton and been told no information was available. I then tried the email/contact us form on their page. In just a couple days time, they emailed me back with an amazing amount of information. ALL the documents I need on general build,options, wiring diagrams, etc. PLUS the 27 page Production Order for my specific vehicle.

VERY HAPPY to have all this info! I'll gladly share with anyone on here who can't find info on their Horton. Just PM me and I can setup an online sharing link.

eporter

Adventurer
Also, here's some info on that previously mentioned Auxiliary Fuel Supply on the E-250/E-350 fuel pumps.

A diesel heater sounds nice for ski-bum camping!

E350 fuel system.JPG

KirkL

Anybody ever think about fabricating a cabover bed extension to create extra space/sleeping accommodations for a pick-up truck style ambulance? I don't think you can pull off the unsupported kingsize bed like the earthroamers, but maybe some supports coming off the front of the frame or a really heavy duty front bumper? More trouble than it's worth?

MTAA

Adventurer
I've been wondering about this as well!

Anybody ever think about fabricating a cabover bed extension to create extra space/sleeping accommodations for a pick-up truck style ambulance? I don't think you can pull off the unsupported kingsize bed like the earthroamers, but maybe some supports coming off the front of the frame or a really heavy duty front bumper? More trouble than it's worth?

patoz

Expedition Leader
In order for that to work you would have to find a fairly new (last 10 years or so) ambulance. Most of the older ones did not have the height necessary to give you the headroom you would need. The newer ones are generally tall enough for a 6' man to stand up in, with room to spare.

huskyhauler

Adventurer

Depending on the ambulance you may have to relocate the fuse panel. In my Road Rescue the fuse panel is located above the cutaway and takes up the entire space.

rlrenz

Explorer
Height would also rule out a medium ambulance - there would only be enough room for a storage shelf over the cab. There's about 18" between the top of the cab and the top of the roof, but when you subtract for the 2" box tube ambulance framing, there wouldn't be room to sleep there. The other GOTTCHA is that this area is usually used for some of the support equipment for an ambulance - I have the AC / heating equipment, plus the blower and ductwork, right there.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Crestline... +/- 12".

I'd do a RTT with an access through the roof if I wanted more space. Or even a rigid pop top over the existing roof that goes up 4' and has canvas sides. It would make an awesome master suite :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Rear spring Shackles... Ambances and other Fords.

If you've got an older ambulance, replace your rear shackles before you have an unpleasant surprise... They're likely pushed towards their upper limit, and can fail without warning.image.jpg:eek:

patoz

Expedition Leader
That looks like they have been rusting away for quite some time. Salt from the roads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz