Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

finboy

Got word back from the owners:
160k km's, wiring and inverter are in place, and overall it looks in good shape (including factory crestline manual and new batteries!)

BUT...the owner is relatively firm on the price, at around $8k Canadian, that is high, even with low mileage and indoor storage for the last ten years.

I'll keep an eye on the market, but if they won't budge on the price I can't swing it on this one.

rlrenz

Explorer
It might be worth checking on whatever difficulties you might run into with bringing an ambulance in from the US -- duties, licensing & registration, whatever. Used ambulances in the US are all over the place, and the prices may be a lot more reasonable.

finboy

15 year rule would make it easier, but the exchange rate is brutal, the ambulance mentioned above would be about $6000

jblaze5779

Observer
What up ambo bro!?!!?

Welcome to the party
21200605_10105797568757698_1621269884345539847_o.jpg

Mikegosh

New build coming soon

Picking up this ambo in Jersey soon and all the goodies from Ujoint off road on the way back to Florida

2003 e-350 7.3 with 31k miles

DSC02802.jpgDSC02812.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02805.jpg
    DSC02805.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC02821.jpg
    DSC02821.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Picking up this ambo in Jersey soon and all the goodies from Ujoint off road on the way back to Florida

2003 e-350 7.3 with 31k miles...
Love a Shake down cruise. Can be expensive. Been there done that..... butt.. you find all the bad stuff at once and get rid of it. Then life goes on anew with much less stress and a good understanding of one another

Tintman

Has anyone added an intercooler to a 97 7.3 wheeled coach? Or if you could send me in the right direction that would be awesome.

finboy

Going through this thread again, I've only seen a couple type 1 ambulances. Given the cost of converting to 4x4, and the frustrations that come with an engine under the dash, why do so few choose the f-series based? Too long? U-joint offer better ride than factory? Van based faces less abuse?

Deshet

Adventurer
What up ambo bro!?!!?

Welcome to the party
21200605_10105797568757698_1621269884345539847_o.jpg

Of course, the 4x4 conversion looks great but can you provide any information on the led lights and mounting plates. I like my ambulance but I don't want it to look like an ambulance going down the road or parked infront of the house...but don't want to get rid of the scene lights. You solution looks like it may be better and color matched may take some of the ambulance look away from it.

Please let me know if this is all custom or if it is a kit.

Thanks,

Deshet

Adventurer
Going through this thread again, I've only seen a couple type 1 ambulances. Given the cost of converting to 4x4, and the frustrations that come with an engine under the dash, why do so few choose the f-series based? Too long? U-joint offer better ride than factory? Van based faces less abuse?

Not many of the F-series ambulances are built. I had to wait a very long time to find the one I have in 4x4. The van has a shorter wheel base and has a tighter turning radius. If you are over 6' tall the van can be difficult on long rides...the aumbulance's bulkhead wall prevents the seats from reclineing and wheel well really eats into the foot space. I can't place my empty shoes flat on the drivers floor area of the van without them being under a pedal, seat, or on the wheel well hump.

I have yet to see a rock crawling ambulance in action, so in real world applications, I believe they are even in the capabilities department. Aftermarket 4x4 support is available for every price point with endless options for F-series 4x4.

Unless you are a double jointed and an extremely skinny and strong dwarf working on the van based 7.3 can take some serious patience. I have continuously owned several 7.3 vans over the last decade and I call it the econoline tax.

Picture of an OBS 7.3 4x4 Ambulance
f350-camper.jpg

I have heard alot of people say that the F-series Ambulance is shorter and it isn't. The box is exactly the same. The F-series is longer overall.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles