Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

FDM2012

Adventurer
Here ya go Eric...

pedal-harder-and-be-king-of-the-mountain.png

:D :D :D

Oh now now Pat, I don't know about all of that.......

But, it does show what a 4x4 PSD and some still decent tires can do!

Skillfulist

Very good point!

I went the opposite direction because my intention was to modify it into a camper trailer, which I have. I wasn't concerned about the front half of it, just the rear module and suspension.

BTW, that is one nice looking rig!!

This is what I want to do but I can't get insured without getting the lights removed (what are the covers called you put inplace of the lights) to get one I'm looking at for $3500

patoz

Expedition Leader
There are no ready made covers available as far as I know. What most people do is use the lights as a template, and make some cover plates out of 1/8" thick aluminum. Add some sealer around the edges and mount them in place using the original screws or some similar.

My advice is to make those cover plates removable, because the holes can be used to mount other things like speakers, work lights, side cameras, etc.

Always plan ahead, and consider future expansion or modification.

rlrenz

Explorer
The insurance company is probably unhappy with red or blue lights. When I bought my ambulance, the dealer (PA) had to remove "ambulance" lettering and any red/blue lenses. They replaced them with clear lenses, and everyone's been happy. Unfortunately, there is a steady demand for clear lenses, so they're hard to find at less than new prices. If you want new, plan on about $40 per each.

One other option is to paint the light's lenses the same color as the body - since you can't run red or blue lenses, painting them is a cheap and simple solution. Once they're reinstalled, they look like part of the original design.

If you do paint them, either remove the bulbs or disable the circuit - they're usually about 50 watts each, and both an electrical load, and a heat load.

eporter

Adventurer
x2 on the above paint and disconnect advice!

The PO of my ambo put layers of duct tape on all the lenses a few years ago. It's now a sticky, goopy mess that I've been slowly cleaning up. I found some clear lenses, so I'm good, but he put the tape on the chrome bezels, too. ALSO, be careful tightening the screws in the plastic bezels. A bunch of mine are cracked from the PO...

rlrenz

Explorer
x2 on the above paint and disconnect advice!

The PO of my ambo put layers of duct tape on all the lenses a few years ago. It's now a sticky, goopy mess that I've been slowly cleaning up. I found some clear lenses, so I'm good, but he put the tape on the chrome bezels, too. ALSO, be careful tightening the screws in the plastic bezels. A bunch of mine are cracked from the PO...

Soak things in mineral spirits for a day or so. Spirits should be mild enough to soften the adhesive without crazing the plastic. I had to super-glue a few of mine when the screws pulled the lens mounting boss loose, but the super-glue worked fine

rlrenz

Explorer
Since these warning lights showed up on all kinds of vehicles, lenses are available from many suppliers other than Whelen. I periodically do a google search on the Whelen part number, and I've found complete fixtures for as little as $10 plus shipping. Normally, the lens sells for about $40 (new). and the bulb for $30-35. Check with tow truck builders/users, school bus dealers, etc.

The prices might not be as low as my $10, but they'll be basing their price on their original cost instead of the current price

rlrenz

Explorer
Green lights will be a challenge. Green is not used for a warning light, other than rarely in a lightbar. The only colors I have seen for a body-mounted warning light are red, blue, amber, and white. Generally, these colors are achieved through colored plastic lenses. Unfortunately, the lenses are molded, and would be darn near impossible to replace with a flat piece of colored plastic.

Years ago, various suppliers sold bulb dye that a bulb could be dipped into, but I haven't seen any for many years. You might try a Google search for dye, but I don't know how well it would hold up in this application. The original warning light bulb is generally a 30-50 watt halogen bulb, and the high bulb envelope temperature may cause problems. A coat of a bulb dye may also cause the bulb to run hotter and fsil relatively quickly.

About the only other answer that comes to me is to epoxy an auto socket into the fixture in place of the original socket and then use a standard automotive LED conversion bulb. You msy be able to find a green bulb, but a standard clear bulb can be used with a gel-type filter located between the bulb and a clear plastic outer lens.

There is a very remote possibility that the manufacturer of your lights may be able to supply a green lens as a special order, but plan on a very expensive lens if they can supply one.

rlrenz

Explorer
Another thought might be to leave the light's bulb as-is and to look for a dye that you can use on the inside of a clear lens. Plastic dye is more available than bulb dye, and you may be able to even use something like a light coat of a green auto paint.

patoz

Expedition Leader
In the United States, green lights on an emergency vehicle are only used to designate a Command Post Vehicle, and it is usually a single revolving or strobe light of some sort. Modern versions of this can be LED's also.

Note the one single green beacon mounted on the elevating pole, so it can be raised high enough for everyone on the scene to see.

download.jpg

Last edited:

Skillfulist

The lights issue upsets me abit because I was hoping to get it painted with a Umbrella Corp theme. With green lights.

I apologize apparently the follow-up post for this didn't go through, I contacted a local highway patrol office and they said I cannot have flashing/alternating lights even if they are all one color (I'm wondering if I come up with my own control board have the lights slowly dim/brighten be fine.) I also don't own a business which is also why the lights are such a big deal.

rlrenz

Explorer
It sounds like the easiest short-term solution is to paint your existing lenses to match the body - then the insurance company and the PD are both happy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz