Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Ampalamps

Thanks for the input.

There is an '88 type iii not too far listed on Craigslist for $4200 with about 59k on it, but it's gas, and its age has me wary. Just joined so not allowed to post links.

stockton.
craigslist.
org/cto/6117107226.html

blkhalo996

blkhalo996
I've search on here, trying to find any builds where some one might have gone from the drw to a super single, however, no luck.

Has there been a build with use of a super single set up?

cjken

Explorer
I'm running singles on my once dually ambulance.
I swapped on a narrow (mini-mod) box so singles seemed to be sensible for me.
I ran H1 tires and rims for a bit. Then eventually swapped the front dually hubs to run "normal" singles.

blkhalo996

blkhalo996
I'm running singles on my once dually ambulance.
I swapped on a narrow (mini-mod) box so singles seemed to be sensible for me.
I ran H1 tires and rims for a bit. Then eventually swapped the front dually hubs to run "normal" singles.

Were there any changes required to run the H1 tires and rims?

cjken

Explorer
I had to get 2.5" spacers for the rears. I still have the spacers if anyone is interested.
Also make sure your bolt pattern is 8x6.5 for H1 rims

I had to get 2.5" spacers for the rears. I still have the spacers if anyone is interested.
Also make sure your bolt pattern is 8x6.5 for H1 rims

Did you modify your axle at all? Or just put on the spacers and stout enough singles that it could handle the load and be the correct track?
Im considering going to singles as well, but I have the 8x225mm bolt pattern and wheels are hard to find.

cjken

Explorer
They are steel really beastly!! They are thick enough that I did not have to cut down the studs at all.
They are hub centric.
They worked great while I needed them.
No axle mods necessary it's a pretty heavy duty full floating rear.

Last edited:

blkhalo996

blkhalo996
They are steel really beastly!! They are thick enough that I did not have to cut down the studs at all.
They are hub centric.
They worked great while I needed them.
No axle mods necessary it's a pretty heavy duty full floating rear.

Thank you, cjken, for the information!!!

Pangle

Wanderer
thanks, and yes I have this guide also! I have my electrician friend coming to take a look and see if he can figure it out! thanks for the info

I wanted to let everyone know I was able to fix the NO Charge Alt issue. After driving me crazy for some time, I really dove into the entire system and was able to determine the Harness was not sending power to the regulator which meant the alt was not being sent signals of what to do! Whoever Had hired it up originally had not done it properly, using a wire which was not hot to jump into the harness! Long story short I was able to get power to the REG which allowed the alt to function prop! Thanks to everyone for the help

zuke

Adventurer
I wanted to let everyone know I was able to fix the NO Charge Alt issue. After driving me crazy for some time, I really dove into the entire system and was able to determine the Harness was not sending power to the regulator which meant the alt was not being sent signals of what to do! Whoever Had hired it up originally had not done it properly, using a wire which was not hot to jump into the harness! Long story short I was able to get power to the REG which allowed the alt to function prop! Thanks to everyone for the help

Glad you got that solved!

Brianpgreen

I hope it's ok to ask this here. If not I'll delete the post. I've found a 1999 Wheeled Coach with less than 25,000 miles on it. It looks really clean and I want to buy it but the seller is pretty proud of it. We're planning to do an MG or Ujoint 4x4 and camper conversion. This seems like a great rig to start with but I don't want to over pay. What do you guys think is a fair price? Is this as rare a find as I think it is?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I hope it's ok to ask this here. If not I'll delete the post. I've found a 1999 Wheeled Coach with less than 25,000 miles on it. It looks really clean and I want to buy it but the seller is pretty proud of it. We're planning to do an MG or Ujoint 4x4 and camper conversion. This seems like a great rig to start with but I don't want to over pay. What do you guys think is a fair price? Is this as rare a find as I think it is?

Brian,

25,000 miles on a 1999 unit is kinda strange, but without knowing something about it's history or what they are asking for it, it's impossible to say.

Do you know what agency had it originally, or where it spent most of it's service? Was it a government agency, private, Fire Department (paid or volunteer) or a learning institute, etc? Does it have the 7.3 diesel engine? What kind of maintenance did it receive? Was it used in a northern area where the streets are salted to the point of causing serious rust underneath?

Do you have any pictures of it, inside and out?

Look for a yellow sticker on the Oxygen compartment, which is probably the left front compartment, or in one of the cabinets inside. On that sticker there should be a work order number indicated as WO# XXXXX. Once you get that number, you can call Dave Johnson at the Rev Group, who now owns Wheeled Coach, at (855) 661-9232 ext. 355. Explain what you are doing, and ask for a copy of the the original work order to be emailed to you. He may refer the request to one of his subordinates who will be the one to actually send it to you. One caveat though, 1999 may be too old for them to have those records on file in PDF.

Let us know what you find out, and we can go from there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke