Ambulance Build thread

Busted Knuckle

That is a great idea for the front step... may steal that one!
What will be interesting is what I plan to use for the step. Since it will be a shower, it will need a drain. I was going to go back with aluminum, but the price of fabrication was ridiculous. I can weld steel, not aluminum. So, i thought about it a while and ordered a large stainless steel kitchen sink that fits the exact dimensions of the cutout. I'll just have to cut out the front and place a teak mat on the bottom. Will post pictures of the progress.

rlrenz

Explorer
You'll probably have to add reinforcing to the front edge - Sinks are made from 20-22 gauge stainless, and they won't have a lot of stiffness if their shape is altered.

Busted Knuckle

You'll probably have to add reinforcing to the front edge - Sinks are made from 20-22 gauge stainless, and they won't have a lot of stiffness if their shape is altered.
That's the plan, it will definitely be reinforced. The one I'm getting is 18 guage, should be strong enough.

That shower idea sounds pretty cool, man! So the door side of the sink will be cut out to allow it to be stepped into?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Busted Knuckle

Yes, will cut out the front as needed. The plan is to have the bottom about an inch below the original step to allow for the depth of the teak mat. Since it's starting to snow I'm not able to do much with the step, which is really disappointing since the sink came in a week early. I was able to trim a little piece off each corner to roughly fit it in place, just not as far down as it will eventually go. I think this is going to work out great!

Attachments

• 20190111_163438.jpg
    20190111_163438.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
Wow, that's nearly a perfect fit. I like it, man! Looks like that it going to work out really nice.

I see you already got a pretty tight 90° elbow, but if you find that it's not enough, I came across lower profiles when I was searching for my own build. Just a quick search for "low profile sink drain". Not too pricey either.
db5d983dbb6f4b84a1620245630831e8.jpg

Busted Knuckle

Wow, that's nearly a perfect fit. I like it, man! Looks like that it going to work out really nice.

I see you already got a pretty tight 90° elbow, but if you find that it's not enough, I came across lower profiles when I was searching for my own build. Just a quick search for "low profile sink drain". Not too pricey either.
db5d983dbb6f4b84a1620245630831e8.jpg

That's what I need to have as much clearance as possible. Going to run it into a marine shower sump (just a bilge pump in a box) to pump it into a Grey water container.

You'll have to check the specs for what you need, but I've run into the same problem. I have a really shallow galley compartment, and came across a marine drain that only needs 1.5" of space. Some of them are really low profile. I had never seen them before, so I thought it was worth mentioning for yours.

motorman

so what did you do this past weekend . . .
im following this closely as i jumped on the type 1 4x4 train

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz