Ambulance build - 2006 Chevy Kodiak

Rachel821

Hello all!

My ambulance just arrived today! I'm thrilled, overwhelmed, and already tired haha. If anyone here wants to share their tips and tricks with ambulance builds I will gladly take it. I have a friend who is a technician by trade helping me (thank the lord).
Here's a break down of the basics:
-The floor is definitely being replaced. Unsure about the rest of the skin. Ideally I'd like to replace it if the job isn't too time consuming.
- Maxx fan, 700ish watts of solar, and a mini split AC system considering I'm in phoenix and it's already 90.
- One of the hardest decisions for me is the damn toilet. I know I want to go composting but really? $1,000+?
- The layout I've been considering is not one I've seen done before. I hate when people block off the rear of the vehicle with the bed and I don't like the idea of it going along the passenger side bench....I'm thinking about putting a twin on the drivers side front corner - where people usually put the kitchen. I like the height so I can add more storage underneath. Then where the bench is I would have my kitchen area and somehow incorporate seating in the back by the doors?
- This rear storage cabinet that goes all the way through is awesome and I don't want to waste it with a bad idea.
- Whats a preferred method of painting/wrapping the exterior? Truck liner? I've been seeing that a lot lately.

Who here has a link where I can find ambulance parts? I have to replace numerous handles and locks. Thanks everyone!

IMG_1805.JPGIMG_1816.JPGIMG_1817.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1816.JPGIMG_1817.JPGIMG_1805.JPGIMG_1816.JPGIMG_1817.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1779.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34

rruff

Explorer
That looks very heavy duty... congrats!

You may wish to check out CheapRVLiving for cheap ways to do things. https://www.cheaprvliving.com/ I know they'll have some ideas regarding toilets. I always just pooped outside though.

The solar and batteries and AC will not be very cheap. Do you intend to stay there through summer?

Rachel821

Solar, batteries, and AC will be my biggest investment - which is why it's hard to justify a $1000 toilet haha. Hard to say, my dad lives in florida and I'd like to spend some time with him which is my biggest motivator for AC. The AC itself shouldn't be too complicated as long as my battery bank can support it. Thanks for the link!

john61ct

Adventurer
So many DIY "composting*" toilet howto threads out there!

Based on 5 gal buckets, well under $100 materials, no need to get too complicated.

Start a query thread if you like with an appropriate title and you'll get links and good focused discussion.

* desiccating is more accurate

john61ct

Adventurer
Mind saying how much the vehicle cost?

Base platform make/model, 3500, 4500? Divetrain details, engine/trannie/diff?

Total weight currently?

Approximate highway mileage?

Rachel821

No problem. I purchased it from a private dealer - so it was more than your average auction ambo. But considering this will be my home and vehicle, I didn't see an issue. It's a 2006 Chevy 4500 duramax engine and allison trans.

Purchased for $11,000, 206,000 miles and weighs about 13,500 maxing out at 17,000.

The engine is in great shape, the only issue is some rust spots considering her career was mostly in Michigan. And whoever owned it before me apparently never cleaned it. It's disgusting lol.

Rachel821

Demo process coming along. Does anyone have experience with this plastic countertop material? It is the Strongest crap we’ve ever experienced. This entire drivers side is really hard for me because it’s all 3/8 plywood. I’m tempted to remove as much as possible and cover whatever’s left with vinyl wallpaper or interior siding.
5AF25127-F3F6-4737-9CD9-F01E25989525.jpeg

Scotty D

That looks very heavy duty... congrats!

You may wish to check out CheapRVLiving for cheap ways to do things. https://www.cheaprvliving.com/ I know they'll have some ideas regarding toilets. I always just pooped outside though.

The solar and batteries and AC will not be very cheap. Do you intend to stay there through summer?

A five gallon bucket with peat moss and a little diatomaceous earth is all you need out west . Not sure how well that combo works in high humidity though
Any progress on the build? Sometimes they take years

Rachel821

Hey everyone! It's been too long....

I'd love to post extensively on what's been going on but there's too much. I have information and pictures on literally every part of this journey - if you have questions about something specific, please ask away! For more extensive content, follow me on instagram @ the__glambo

Where I'm at: I'd say were 75% finished.
Couch/bed area - done
Solar install - done
Kitchen - 90% done
Bathroom/shower/plumbing - 10% done
Exterior paint job - 80% done
Ceiling - 15% done

Quick recap - I traveled from Phoenix to Tampa to get my dads help on the build at the start of the summer. Without him, the glambo would look like trash. Progress is slower than expected, but I've learned to enjoy the ride. Plus....she isn't starting.
She had a similar issue in Phoenix and I spent $600 getting the fuel filter housing replaced. She got me to my dads and then took a ********. Once the build is complete, the goal is to get that fixed AND replace the tires at the same time because she also can't surpass 62 mph without shaking severely.

Here's the current vibe :)

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 14F4BDD1-BE79-4830-85BF-03B06BBBE0AC.jpg
    14F4BDD1-BE79-4830-85BF-03B06BBBE0AC.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4374.jpg