am/ssb

perterra

Adventurer
Anybody try one. I will eventually go 2M but I'm thinking about picking up a ssb/cb to communicate. Bro inlaw said he was thinking of one, just curious if the 12 watts makes a big difference.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
perterra said:
Anybody try one. I will eventually go 2M but I'm thinking about picking up a ssb/cb to communicate. Bro inlaw said he was thinking of one, just curious if the 12 watts makes a big difference.

I have used one, and SSB is a great modulation for efficient transmission within bounds of limited RF power; there is a lot of marine SSB stuff too.

Anyway, it does require that the other party has an SSB capable radio though, and there's a LOT more 2m folks than SSB 11m folks.

perterra

Adventurer
I'm really thinking of the ability to communicate with the bro-inlaw without having to put up with all the normal traffic. My current CB is a handheld that I plug into an external antennae and the cig lighter. The rest of the time it stays in the emergency bag. We use it when traveling in tandem with him. Thought since there were less users the ssb would be a little more traffic free and the 12 watts would be handy. Dont really care at this time about conversing with anyone else

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior