Am I nuts?

MOAK

Adventurer
My 80series/LX450 has 318,000 miles on the odometer. I’m running 285s so add another 6% to half that number. Maintenance? I’m definitely anal retentive about that. The valve stem seals replaced at 289,000. The valve train was all good and well within spec. Compression is great. When I change the oil, (synthetic) every 6,000 miles I drain a gallon of trans fluid and add a gallon of new. I’ll be rebuilding the front axle next winter, just as a pm as it was rebuilt back at 206,000 miles.

So, back to my thread title. We are planning a trip going north up the Canadien Rockies, hanging a left over to Dawson, continue into Alaska then head north up to Prudhoe Bay, come back down the Alcan and visit the PNW, then head back home to Pa. I’m thinking new engine and transmission refresh as a PM before this kind of trip. Nuts? Discuss away !! & thanks !! A9EFF422-61AA-4053-9BC4-803B491EAFD8.jpeg

Explorerinil

Observer
Nice rig, I would kill for a similar one! Love that era of Toyota’s, my mom had an lx just like yours but it was black, that give her many years of trouble free reliable transportation, brings back good memories. I personally wouldn’t mess with it, just drive it, rebuild the engine when it dies.

billiebob

Well maintained,,, unlikely a Toyota needs anything before 500K miles. I wouldn't tinker with anything so well proven, odds are higher something gets rebuilt wrong. I'd wait til you return, do whatever you think needs replacing, and run it 10K miles near home before heading off to lands end again.

You have what I call the best 4x4 ever. Trust it.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Run it! How long have you had it? By the way you’ve described your care of it I suspect you know every noise, feel and sound on it, add the fact it’s a well cared for LC I have no problems taking that trip.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'll echo what the others have said. Do your fluids prior to the trip, carry common spares and extra fluids along with any necessary tools and enjoy your trip.

1Goat

I too, agree with the others.
I'd far rather travel with a motor and gearbox that I know has been looked after than change it for something I can't count on having had the same treatment.
Be loyal to your old girl, she's been loyal to you.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MOAK

Adventurer
Hmmm, then it seems my hunch is spot on, I would be nuts to spend any more time considering my nutty thoughts. I thought so.

MOAK

Adventurer
Run it! How long have you had it? By the way you’ve described your care of it I suspect you know every noise, feel and sound on it, add the fact it’s a well cared for LC I have no problems taking that trip.
Bought it and all the service records 7 years and 110 thousand miles ago. I figure it’ll have 350k miles on it when we head north as we do tour the western US every year. New seats for the 450 and beefing up our trailer frame is in order before Alaska.

I don’t think you are nuts! I took my “well-maintained” 80 with 300k+ miles to Newfoundland and Labrador alone. The following summer at 320k+ miIes, I went west to CO and slowly made my way north to the Watson Lake Yukon where I turned around. I planned to go to AK, Prudhoe Bay and Tuktoyaktuk that summer but spent too much time in the Rockies so I didn’t beat the cold weather.

I wasn’t as mechanically knowledgeable at the time, so I had my vehicle looked over by a professional before I left. If you know your 80's weak points, have maintained it and haven’t abused it (which it what it sounds like) I bet you will be fine.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I don’t think you are nuts! I took my “well-maintained” 80 with 300k+ miles to Newfoundland and Labrador alone. The following summer at 320k+ miIes, I went west to CO and slowly made my way north to the Watson Lake Yukon where I turned around. I planned to go to AK, Prudhoe Bay and Tuktoyaktuk that summer but spent too much time in the Rockies so I didn’t beat the cold weather.

I wasn’t as mechanically knowledgeable at the time, so I had my vehicle looked over by a professional before I left. If you know your 80's weak points, have maintained it and haven’t abused it (which it what it sounds like) I bet you will be fine.

He’s not asking if he’s “nuts” to do the trip (he’s not), he’s asking if he’s “nuts” for considering rebuilding the engine and transmission as preventative maintenance before going on the trip (he is definitely nutsfor thinking like that).

OP- Change your fluids and filters, load up a few spares and hit the road! And by the way, it’s the CanadiAn Rockies. The only thing CanadiEn in Canada is Quebec...

MOAK

Adventurer
He’s not asking if he’s “nuts” to do the trip (he’s not), he’s asking if he’s “nuts” for considering rebuilding the engine and transmission as preventative maintenance before going on the trip (he is definitely nutsfor thinking like that).

OP- Change your fluids and filters, load up a few spares and hit the road! And by the way, it’s the CanadiAn Rockies. The only thing CanadiEn in Canada is Quebec...
True, i spent over 17 years going to Quebec every week. Sometimes twice a week. Over the years I learned enough quebecois to be polite and pick up on the topics of conversations.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
That makes sense then! I figured being in PA you had some eastern experiences... If you come west, feel free to get in touch if you need anything. I’ve lived in BC all my life and used to have a nice 450 like yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles