Am I insane? (FWC Hawk to pop-up shell)

Stringer44

Hello,

I have a 2022 FWC Hawk shell with several factory add-ons which sits on a 2015 Chevy 2500 Silverado with a 6.5 foot bed.

I have loved my Hawk. Nothing but great things to say about FWC in general and my camper in particular.

However, I feel like my specific needs are more ideally suited for something more like the Project M or an OVRLND camper.

I am a weekend warrior, road tripper, Cracker Barrel sleeper, 1-3 night boondocker, and person who occasionally sleeps in the parking lot at the clinic where I often work several hours from home. I need no frills, and am probably happiest when I'm just throwing tubs of gear and sleeping bags into the back of my truck.

I also would like to retrieve the functionality of my truck bed. I miss my tailgate, and would like the option of hauling bikes, lumber, bags of potting soil, groceries, etc. more easily in the truck bed. I also want to have maximum utility from the camper while the top is down. I frequently "stealth" camp at highway rest stops, or in parking lots for quick naps or whatnot, and being able to stretch out or sit upright in a low camping chair, would be amazing. I used to do that when I just had an ARE shell, and I miss out on that with all the cabinetry in my Hawk. I do have the roll-over couch, which is great, and which should fit this bill, but I find that with all the stuff I need to move around to get myself situated, it becomes just cumbersome enough that I view it as a chore. I think with a PM or OVRLND, I'd have a big open space onto which I could just plop myself whenever I'm needing a break from driving, or whenever I just want to sit in the back for 30 minutes with a mug of coffee and a book.

I bought my 3/4 ton truck when I was needing it for hauling a heavy trailer. I no longer have that trailer, so I'm feeling like I no longer need such a heavy, big, and fuel thirsty truck. I'd love to have a half ton, and specifically I'd love to have one with an 8 foot bed. I'm 6'4" and love being able to stretch out North-South in the bed of a truck with plenty of room to spare. I don't really anticipate towing anything (other than maybe a 5x10 cargo trailer with very little weight in it; and even then, it would be rare). I don't care about power, or the sound the engine makes, or how fast the truck goes 0-60. I'd like a long bed, with a reliable engine, and something that's more fuel efficient than my current 3/4 ton rig.

So I'm thinking of selling my 3/4 ton and FWC Hawk and replacing them with a new F150 with an 8' bed, and either a Project M or an OVRLND. I like Ford's 2.7L ecoboost engine, which supposedly gets good gas mileage, insofar as that's possible with a truck. I'd need a regular cab, though. I'm single, with no kids or dogs, so I think the smaller cab would be fine, especially if it allowed me to have an 8 foot bed, with 4WD, on a truck with a reliable and efficient engine.

I was hoping to use this forum as a sounding board. Am I overlooking something here, or making a big mistake? Everyone's needs are their own, and of course no one can know mine better than I do, but I'm trapped in the echo chamber of my own mind, and was just hoping someone might chime in with some relevant piece of personal anecdote. Something about why an 8 foot bed is great, or not great. Or why I'll regret losing the Hawk, or why I'll love the OVRLND. Etc.

I know trucks with 8 foot beds aren't the best overlanding vehicles, but my version of overlanding is more forest roads and dirt campsites than it is rock crawling. I've been some amazing places, but I've always gotten there in a stock truck. So I'm not too worried about the long wheelbase of a long bed truck. Is there a different truck I should consider? Or just a different approach entirely? I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with various truck bed sizes and various campers.

Thanks for reading and for giving me any insight you can offer!

simple

Adventurer
What are the details of your existing 3/4 ton? Have you done any fuel cost calculations to figure the difference between the 2 setups based on your annual mileage?

Stringer44

Your reasoning for the change is well thought out, clearly written, and seems very logical.
You convinced me!

Ha, thank you! I appreciate it! Now if I could just finish convincing myself ?

Don't sweat the 8' bed since you'll have a regular cab...the wheelbase is essentially the same as a supercab shortbed. It will do just as good off road as all the extended/crew cab shortbeds.

That's a good point. The regular cab should definitely help keep the wheelbase reasonable. Thanks!

What are the details of your existing 3/4 ton? Have you done any fuel cost calculations to figure the difference between the 2 setups based on your annual mileage?

It's a 2015 2500 Silverado with 131,000 miles. Chevy double cab, 6.5 foot box. Checked it tonight - I'm averaging 11.2 mpg. It does have the FWC Hawk camper on it currently (and always). I haven't dug into the nitty gritty details of the gas math yet. I'm based out of the Midwest, where gas is comparatively cheap, but one of my job contracts is in northern California, where fuel costs are... shocking. If I rarely left my local area, I wouldn't sweat it as much, but doing some of the road trips I do definitely has me factoring it in. Also, much as I'd like to fashion myself as a hardcore off-road person, I have to be honest with myself and recognize that the vast majority of my driving is on terrain that could be handled by a Corolla. The 3/4 ton is a great tool - it's just not necessarily the most ideal tool for the "work" I'm doing at the moment. When I was towing a heavy trailer, it was essential. But now I feel like I could pass it on to someone who would more effectively utilize its strengths.

And, while increased fuel efficiency is exciting, I think the prospect of a bigger bed and a more open, minimalist camper are what excite me the most.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Dang, after that long rant I wish you had at least double spaced the text to make it easier to read after four pitchers of Mich Ultra!

At least in my state at the moment, it doesn't seem that you have a problem, unless you want two kids and a dog in the back seat!

You don't have a problem, so I guess this is just conversation about F-150, which is fine for camping, overlanding or expeditions according to the definitions of the purists who visit this site.

You're all good dude!

So, what are you doing to that little F-150 2.7 turbo to make your "overlanding dreams" come true? You need to buy something for it, dang, can't just drive a stock F-150! :rolleyes:

dstefan

Nope, you’re not insane. You largely describe why I went with the Ovrland after being 90% off the way to an FWC flatbed on a 3/4 ton Ram (as in final test drive with a certified check for purchase in my pocket).

You can make it what you want exactly.

GeorgeHayduke

We've switched from a slide-in camper to a GFC topper for a lot of the same reasons as you: I like having the utility of my truck bed without the hassle of removing a camper and prefer to just load rubbermaid totes of gear when we want to go.

One issue to consider is dust control. You don't get a perfect seal around the tailgate and there are intentional holes in the truck bed to drain water so dust inevitably gets into the truck bed and on your stuff. Same deal with mosquitos. A slide-in is usually sealed well enough to not have these issues.

Go fast campers also makes an 8' model if you don't mind not having the cabover bit (might give you better MPG?): https://gofastcampers.com/blogs/manufacturing-updates/8-foot-truck-camper-gfc

simple

Adventurer
For reference, I got 14.5mpg over 1700 miles with this setup. Small block GM V8

I used to get 15mpg with a mid 90's 3/4ton dodge diesel 4x4 with a Northern lite camper.

Stringer44

Dang, after that long rant I wish you had at least double spaced the text to make it easier to read after four pitchers of Mich Ultra!

At least in my state at the moment, it doesn't seem that you have a problem, unless you want two kids and a dog in the back seat!

You don't have a problem, so I guess this is just conversation about F-150, which is fine for camping, overlanding or expeditions according to the definitions of the purists who visit this site.

You're all good dude!

So, what are you doing to that little F-150 2.7 turbo to make your "overlanding dreams" come true? You need to buy something for it, dang, can't just drive a stock F-150! :rolleyes:

Haha, I tried to throw in a few paragraph breaks in my novel here, but maybe there weren't enough. Thanks for reading it all!

Not quite sure about truck mods at the moment. Definitely open to any and all fun ideas down the road. Currently my daydreaming is mostly about all the open space in an OVRLND camper.

I see your username - are you from Arkansas? Maybe Missouri? I'm in MO very close to the Ozarks.

Nope, you’re not insane. You largely describe why I went with the Ovrland after being 90% off the way to an FWC flatbed on a 3/4 ton Ram (as in final test drive with a certified check for purchase in my pocket).

You can make it what you want exactly.

I love to hear that. And that's what really excites me about this style of camper - the blank canvas nature of it. So much potential and flexibility.

We've switched from a slide-in camper to a GFC topper for a lot of the same reasons as you: I like having the utility of my truck bed without the hassle of removing a camper and prefer to just load rubbermaid totes of gear when we want to go.

One issue to consider is dust control. You don't get a perfect seal around the tailgate and there are intentional holes in the truck bed to drain water so dust inevitably gets into the truck bed and on your stuff. Same deal with mosquitos. A slide-in is usually sealed well enough to not have these issues.

Go fast campers also makes an 8' model if you don't mind not having the cabover bit (might give you better MPG?): https://gofastcampers.com/blogs/manufacturing-updates/8-foot-truck-camper-gfc

GFCs look really cool. I've read lots of reviews from very happy owners. Will definitely give them some additional looks. I like the idea of a top that pops straight up, as opposed to the wedge, but I'm sure there are advantages to the wedge as well. I've just never been inside one. Would love to see one in person.

I'm mentally prepared for the dust issue, but the mosquitoes scare me. We have plenty of bugs where I live, and the not-sealed aspect of these toppers definitely has given me a bit of pause. Have you found bugs to be a big problem with your GFC? Any easy fixes?

I figured at a minimum I'd put a DeeZee bed mat down in the truck, and then throw a handful of old rugs on top, for a bit of insulation, sound dampening, and just plain comfort. I know lots of folks use a BedRug - I like the idea, but I also like the idea of quickly removing rugs and the mat for easy cleaning as needed. Not sure how quickly the BedRug comes in and out.

I'm imagining myself using a tiny Milwaukee leaf blower to move some dust out at the end of trips. Not sure what the best anti-mosquito strategy is, though.

(Also, Hayduke Lives ;))

tacollie

Glamper
We bought a FWC Hawk shell because we didn't know if we would actually like a slide in camper. Honestly if they were in business at the time we would have bought a OVRLND. We do a lot of cold weather camping and the wife is committed to always having a door. Now we're contemplating selling it and buying a fancier camper.

Seems like you have narrowed down what is important to you. I say go for it as long as the math works.

GeorgeHayduke

GFCs look really cool. I've read lots of reviews from very happy owners. Will definitely give them some additional looks. I like the idea of a top that pops straight up, as opposed to the wedge, but I'm sure there are advantages to the wedge as well. I've just never been inside one. Would love to see one in person.

I'm mentally prepared for the dust issue, but the mosquitoes scare me. We have plenty of bugs where I live, and the not-sealed aspect of these toppers definitely has given me a bit of pause. Have you found bugs to be a big problem with your GFC? Any easy fixes?

I figured at a minimum I'd put a DeeZee bed mat down in the truck, and then throw a handful of old rugs on top, for a bit of insulation, sound dampening, and just plain comfort. I know lots of folks use a BedRug - I like the idea, but I also like the idea of quickly removing rugs and the mat for easy cleaning as needed. Not sure how quickly the BedRug comes in and out.

I'm imagining myself using a tiny Milwaukee leaf blower to move some dust out at the end of trips. Not sure what the best anti-mosquito strategy is, though.

(Also, Hayduke Lives ;))
The straight popups definitely give you more room on the interior but the wedge popups handle wind better and don't flap as badly. Compare the roof capacities as well if you think you'll open it with stuff on top. I've also found the side opening doors on the GFC to be really handy for accessing stuff at the front of the bed, but they're not as dust/weather tight as the solid wall and window of say a Project M. You might appreciate the lower level windows on the Project M if you plan to use it a lot with the top popped up.

We've primarily used our GFC in Colorado which generally isn't buggy. We usually have the lower level wide open at camp (what they call cabana mode) but keep the upper level sealed off from bugs by keeping all the floor panels installed.

We run a bed mat and I installed a foam gasket around the tailgate. These both helped a lot but you're still gonna get some dust or water intrusion. It's not a huge deal though, just use totes for your stuff that have good quality lids.

And yes, Ed Abbey should be required reading on this site :)

Photobug

I have a long bed extended cab and it gets me where I need to go. But my camper shell sleeping setup does not work for my 50+ back. So bought an 22' RV it is only 6" longer than my truck. If I were to do it over, I would likely get a Project M and build in cabinets that could be removable for using the truck as a truck but having a heater table and kitchen area in the back.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I like the idea. F150 is a great option too. Highly customizable if you order it. I think the project M would be a good option.

There's a new company in San Diego called ORU Designs that has a nifty tilting bed. My brother in law has one on his f150 and loves it. Only has like a 2 month wait time too. Not sure if they make for an 8 foot bed however. It's mostly similar to a OVRLDN, minus the wait time. Like others have said, dust control is difficult without a full slide in camper but that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue for you from what I cant tell. From what I've seen, it seemd FWC would have the best fit per model.

I dont think you could go wrong with any of the camper options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94