Am I insane for buying a used 200-series right now?

UpperLeft86

I realize this group may be biased ... but so am I. Sold my 4Runner last year, loved it but the headroom sucked ('05). Have narrowed it down to a GX460 or an LC200 as a wildcard. Prices for everything right now are insane, but I'm dying inside driving my beater Prius around, and I don't like taking my wife's SUV camping/on work trips.

It feels nutty to be considering spending ~$30k on a GX460 with 70-90k miles on it; but even nuttier to be thinking of spending $42-49k for a 2013ish Land Cruiser.

I found a built '13 LC (Icon 2.5, Slee armor, drawers, rack, etc.) with under 100k miles ... if I can get it for ~$45k it seems like that might not be outrageous.

Basically ... help! At this point I'm driving myself insane. I can always make more money, but can't make more time, and want to get out with my boys before the years keep slipping away.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It’ll only get worse in the short term future. I’ve owned both and I still have the 200, I vote to skip the GX and get the 200 and start making those memories now. If the built one is clean then that’s not terrible. Best of luck with your search and ultimate decision.

UpperLeft86

I concur, why build twice just get a LC.

Good point! I want to go 'buy once, cry once' but in some ways the GX makes more sense, and saving $10-15k is always nice. My head says GX, heart wants the Legend.

It’ll only get worse in the short term future. I’ve owned both and I still have the 200, I vote to skip the GX and get the 200 and start making those memories now. If the built one is clean then that’s not terrible. Best of luck with your search and ultimate decision.

That's the thing - short term, but how short? Couple years? I expect 200's will probably hold value reasonably well given they aren't coming back. Your GX is actually my build inspiration haha. If I went that route.

The 200 I'm looking at seems clean - some surface rust underneath, but doesn't seem to be anything crazy. Thing is it's in CO and I'm in WA, so I'm flying blind a bit. Asking $50k, but that seems way high to me. If I can get it down, I think I might jump.

I appreciate the input! maybe the 200 is the way to go, if the price is right.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either one, that said, you really want the 200 and getting the GX/150 likely won't scratch that itch because no matter how great it is in its own right it'll never be a 200. GX's have been really hot the past few years and likely will remain so that is until the 6th Gen 4Runner drops and everyone will forget all about the 12 year old GX. The next generation GX will likely be great as well but it'll have a base closer to $60K which will put it out of reach for most and more in line with the bigger and better 200. I have no regrets about my GX build but I don't I have any for selling it either. If you can only have one then IMHO the 200 is the one to have and yes that means even if it costs $15K more.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
A built 2013 200 series with less than 100k for $45k is a bargain in this market

I would not part with my 2013 200 for less than $50k :) (biased yes)

plh

Explorer
Wait until mid 2022 if you can. Chip shortage has hampered every manufactures ability to build new vehicles and therefore all used vehicle pricing has skyrocketed. Used vehicle pricing won't stay high (relative) once the chip shortage clears up. ie: if you pay $45k now for a used LC that in 2020 was $35k - expect the prices in 2022 to be back similar to 2020 values.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I would say to act promptly to beat any "market adjustment" but I would be way behind the reality of the moment. A buck thirty-four for a used 2021? WTH crazyness.

csphoto

W7ZOM
Wait until mid 2022 if you can. Chip shortage has hampered every manufactures ability to build new vehicles and therefore all used vehicle pricing has skyrocketed. Used vehicle pricing won't stay high (relative) once the chip shortage clears up. ie: if you pay $45k now for a used LC that in 2020 was $35k - expect the prices in 2022 to be back similar to 2020 values.

That didn't age well. ;-)

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Prices have dipped a touch, but I don't expect them to drop much further until the bottom falls out of the economy as a whole which I expect to happen by years end.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You probably sold your 4Runner for far "Mo Money" than it would have been worth in the past and you will pay "Mo Money" for your next purchase.

In reality the "Spread" you will pay between the 2 vehicles probably has not changed all that much at which is true in most vehicle deals today.

You got "Mo Money" for your old car and will pay "Mo Money" for the new one.

Go ahead and buy and don't worry about the money. Brandon will take care of that issue for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles