Am I Crazy? Landcruiser to a Powerwagon with FWC?

mph

Expedition Leader
Okay, I have a 99 land cruiser that I love and has been super reliable!!! The thing is a tank! Will go anywhere the family and I want to go-period! However, I am thinking that my family and I might enjoy a Powerwagon and FWC setup. Am I crazy? Anyone have experience with this setup? Pros and Cons? By no means do I need to make anything happen soon. But, would it be worth it? Any thoughts, recommendations, critiques would be much appreciated. Thanks

spressomon

Expedition Leader
24HOURSOFNEVADA basically did the same move...only he went from a 100 for the family explore rig to a Powerstroke + FWC. AFAIK he's still rolling and camping in the FWC set-up.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Not crazy about the idea coming from someone who owns both a Dodge 4WD 4D CTD 1 ton and a 100 series but if it get you out more go for it.

Littlehouse

Adventurer

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Inspiration

1462853_848588821824195_6269306527451156106_n.jpg

mph

Expedition Leader
You live by the same motto I do...Not sure I would but more comfortable:) The LC 100 is such a nice rig. Might end up with a 200 series instead...I guess the difficulty is that in some ways it's hard to justify a payment on a truck/camper that gets used maybe 40-50 days a year. Toyotas run forever, so I am more willing to buy a higher mileage LC than a higher mileage dodge...Time will tell. My 99 is awesome right now.

Not crazy about the idea coming from someone who owns both a Dodge 4WD 4D CTD 1 ton and a 100 series but if it get you out more go for it.

Runt

Adventurer
Had this:

Went to this:

Liked this one the most:

In conclusion my experience has been simple is best. Finding the balance is the key. If you plan on tight trails and rough roads the smaller trucks are awesome and best all around units. Full size are just to big in my opinion but they require the least amount of modifications. So it comes down to time and what you want to do. A Land Cruiser is going to be the best all around off road compared to a Power Wagon I would think and the most comfortable. I would not bother with a trailer on a expedition rig. Off roading type set up where you go back to a base camp is for a trailer. Have you considered a Tacoma with a flat deck and camper combo. My next build :)

Last edited:

05PWrockcrawler

Adventurer
I own a PW and love it. It can wheel with the best rigs out. Yes tighter trails are a problem. But I can still follow most Jeeps with good spotting. Plus I like the bed space to haul all your gear. Factory lockers, winch, sway bar disconnect, V-8 power, 4.56 gears, towing ability, 3/4 ton with really flexy suspension! Very hard to beat. Good luck on whatever you decide. Plus there is the Www.powerwagonregistry.org for all your questions to any and all problems, repairs or information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks...Can I ask...what kind of mpg are you getting? I know...it doesn't really matter:) But, just curious...Thanks!

I own a PW and love it. It can wheel with the best rigs out. Yes tighter trails are a problem. But I can still follow most Jeeps with good spotting. Plus I like the bed space to haul all your gear. Factory lockers, winch, sway bar disconnect, V-8 power, 4.56 gears, towing ability, 3/4 ton with really flexy suspension! Very hard to beat. Good luck on whatever you decide. Plus there is the Www.powerwagonregistry.org for all your questions to any and all problems, repairs or information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rot Box

Explorer
I went from my Ford/FWC to a well built 100 series and back to the Ford/FWC within a year. The 100 series was incredible.. Very well built, reliable and capable vehicle. Very few complaints.

I'm not sure on the Powerwagon (I don't know a lot about them) but I think you and your family would love a Four Wheel Camper. Mine is an older model (1981) with its fair share of issues but I use it as often as I can and end up falling in love with it over and over again. To me it's as good as it gets when camping with my family. Hopefully one day I can replace it with a newer one.

The night I took this pic I drug myself out of bed long enough to turn the thermostat down because it was getting too hot.. If that doesn't sell you I don't know what will haha.

DSC01992.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles