Always room for another Landcruiser

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Having already two Landcruisers FJ40 and FJ60, My FJ60 is my Expo vehicle and will continue to be.

I looking for a newer more civilized ride. for day to day driving to the mall. So I'm thinking a FJ80 or newer. Question is L6 or V8. I also perfer a stick shift. I'd rather eat worms then drive an automatic. Also I'm not fond of full time 4WD. I guess at some point they started calling the Landcruiser a Lexis, that's fundamentally wrong.

I dont want anything too new or with TV sets in it.

You guys are the pros what do you think.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Well, if you want a manual transmission you have to find one that has been swapped. They don't exist in the states. That being said the a442f and the a343f are bullet proof auto trannys, the first being used in busses.

Since you already have a 40 and a 60 and are looking for a DD/mall crawler I would defiantly go with the 100 series/lx470. It handles much better on the road being IFS and you also get the V8. There are plenty of great options you can get with these vehicles. I suggest you find something between 1998 and 2002.

Sempertoy

Explorer
I dont think that any 100 series has AWD. From 1998 to latest model offered. But then again I dont know for sure.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
AFAIK every Land Cruiser since the 80 has been full-time 4WD (or AWD if you prefer), but Slee has a part-time conversion kit for the 80/100 Series - http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_drivetrain_driveshaft.htm

SleePart-Time4WDKit.jpg

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
since you're wanting to avoid the Lexus image, then an early 80 series is up your alley. And since you clearly don't have an issue with engine swaps, then an early 80 series is up your alley. Whether you stick in another Cummins, or a 5.3L Vortec, or a toyota diesel and a 5 speed is up to you. I don't like autos either, but I like the A442f auto. It's clearly stout. I love hearing the whine of first gear (which is particularly low for an auto- I shift to second around 15-20mph. The later (95+) 80's with OBDII can have a TRD supercharger added bringing HP up to 300+.

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Landcruiser

Good info. I don't want to swap engines, like something I don't have to mess with. I have a lead on a 1996 115K miles Ex Cond., I guess this would be a straight 6. Any thoughts on this year of Landcruiser.

I love the idea of the locking hubs conversion. Thanks

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I don't think you can go wrong with a '96 in good condition. Some people will argue '96-'97 were the best years for the 80. You are going to have to put in some serious effort if you want to put a manual tranny in there. At that mileage, as long as it has been maintained you shouldn't have any issues with the auto tranny or the engine for that matter. It will probably just feel a little underpowered compared to what you are used to.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Good info. I don't want to swap engines, like something I don't have to mess with. I have a lead on a 1996 115K miles Ex Cond., I guess this would be a straight 6. Any thoughts on this year of Landcruiser.

I love the idea of the locking hubs conversion. Thanks

Sounds like a great lead! Guys on mud have two and three times that mileage on original trannys and engines. I'm at almost 200k with no worries know on wood. I say snag it! And yes it's a straight 6

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Landcruiser

Well unfortunently my manual trasmission vote got over rulled by my wifes "I want an automatic once in my life" vote. So automatic it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles