Aluminum Storage Boxes in OJ?

GaryMc

Explorer
A past overland Journal reviewed some aluminum storage boxes and I can't remember the name of the company or find that copy of OJ.... Can someone help me out?

Gracias,

Gary

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
k463bac_099.jpg

These cases?

Robthebrit

Explorer
They are awesome cases, I have some outside on the camper mog and they don't leak at all, no water or dirt get inside. They are not 100% water proof like a pelican, if you drop it in water it will sink. Its not a big deal for me because are bolted to the roof rack - if they are under water I have much bigger problems than the storage box leaking!

They do cost a little more than a pelican but they are lighter (at least when empty). I had to special order mine because they are custom size to fit the roof rack so it was more expensive than normal.

If you can't find an expo supplier PM me and I'll give you the name of the supplier I used. Its no secret, I just don't have it handy.

Rob

GaryMc

Explorer
FourByLand said:
No sweat Beowulf!

-Gary, Any reason you are after these versus Pelicans or Storm Cases?

I'm not after anything just yet. I'm looking at my options and remembered something about the Zarges and wanted to price them.
Is that your Disco in the photo? If so, what size are those cases?

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Gary,

Thant's not my truck and I can't tell you what size those cases are. There are several sites with all of the specs.

Bighead

Adventurer
Zarges boxes are a great lightweight storage option. I have 4 boxes that I use in my vehicles...2 x K420 mini-boxes and 2 x K420 maxi-boxes. The only "issue" was that items stored in them tend to make a bit of noise if the box is not packed completely full. To fix it, I cut up an old foam sleeping pad and lined the insides of the boxes. Nice and quiet.

Here are a couple of sites with specs:

http://www.zarges-cases.com/zarges_cases/products_cases.php?chid=5&lang=int

http://casesbysource.com/c/ZC/Zarges+Cases.html

HDM

Observer
Bighead said:
Zarges boxes are a great lightweight storage option. I have 4 boxes that I use in my vehicles...2 x K420 mini-boxes and 2 x K420 maxi-boxes. The only "issue" was that items stored in them tend to make a bit of noise if the box is not packed completely full. To fix it, I cut up an old foam sleeping pad and lined the insides of the boxes. Nice and quiet.

>> I'm interested in the Zarges boxes and wonder how these fare in the elements? Will the K420 repel wind, rain, dust, snow, and bugs if left outside on the ground? (I don't need them to be totally waterpoof, mind, but if used as a larder, bug and dust proof would be important.) Also, how strong is the lid on the K420 - able to withstand stacking, sitting, standing, etc.? Yes, I realize the Pelican cases definately do all of that and a bit more, but I find their shape to be awkward and wonder if the squarer shape of the Zarges boxes would be more efficient for packing. Thx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles