Aluminum Flat-bed-canopy Colorado Diesel Build

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
How does insurance work on this rig? I was under the impression that any flatbed truck had to be registered commercially?

Yeah, the law is simply insane. Apparently really only a problem if the GVW is over 4500kg. So if towing a trailer. But a camper is not a trailer.

But then if you are doing some home improvements, and you rent something like a floor sander, cement mixer, etc. then you are a commercial vehicle again.

One of the reasons I stuck with mid-size trucks instead of full-size, is my registered GVWR is 3000kg.

To be clear: It's not only a flatbed that creates this mess. Any pickup with a registered GVWR over 4500kg (so a full size) needs a CVOR. There is a personal use exemption, if you have the standard box, but only if you are NOT hauling any "commercial tools". So only buy cheap hammers, no high-end hammers...

Another law that was created by citiots.

Yeah, the law is simply insane. Apparently really only a problem if the GVW is over 4500kg. So if towing a trailer. But a camper is not a trailer.

But then if you are doing some home improvements, and you rent something like a floor sander, cement mixer, etc. then you are a commercial vehicle again.

One of the reasons I stuck with mid-size trucks instead of full-size, is my registered GVWR is 3000kg.

To be clear: It's not only a flatbed that creates this mess. Any pickup with a registered GVWR over 4500kg (so a full size) needs a CVOR. There is a personal use exemption, if you have the standard box, but only if you are NOT hauling any "commercial tools". So only buy cheap hammers, no high-end hammers...

Isn't our province bizzare? I really respect the work you put into your build :)

So you're saying I should be hauling Ryobi tools around then? ;) Guess I'm ditching the milwaukee tools ?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Isn't our province bizzare? I really respect the work you put into your build :)

So you're saying I should be hauling Ryobi tools around then? ;) Guess I'm ditching the milwaukee tools ?

Yeah, and you ever see those generator-trailers, that have no lights or plates? Because apparently a generator-trailer is not a trailer. It's a generator, that you are towing, behind a truck. But it's not a trailer!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Man, I am mighty impressed of what can come out of "I want to keep 4 mountain bikes clean and secure". But in all honesty I am jealous of your skills and ingenuity and very proud you did this to a diesel ZR2. Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks!

So, to be clear, will have multi-use. I plan to have organizational shelves on the driver's side, and kitchen unit on the other , which will be used when doing other outdoor activities. Some of my inspiration:

IMG_8065-WEB-1.jpg

GCi-Traytec-51-of-63-scaled.jpg

RoyJ

Adventurer

Just as bad in BC. Here, any "pickup" body type must be registered as commercial. But, any "commercial" over 5500 kg GVW technically needs to report to scale. I called up Victoria's transport office and asked: what about factory duallies over 5500 kg? Couldn't give me an answer.

Called up 4 different scales, best answer I got was "if you look commercial, we expect you to pull in".

Solution? Convert rear crew backseat to a bed, add fridge, stove, heater, voila, now I'm a "motorhome" with infinite GVW. I can tow a 10 ton dump trailer, as long as it's for personal use, a CVSE cop can't do a thing.

We need to meet dumb laws with dumb solutions...

Beltfed

Cool build. The Sy-Klone pre-filters work well if you spend a lot of time on gravel roads. If you stick to pavement mostly though, I agree that the snorkel is window dressing.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just as bad in BC. Here, any "pickup" body type must be registered as commercial. But, any "commercial" over 5500 kg GVW technically needs to report to scale. I called up Victoria's transport office and asked: what about factory duallies over 5500 kg? Couldn't give me an answer.

Called up 4 different scales, best answer I got was "if you look commercial, we expect you to pull in".

Solution? Convert rear crew backseat to a bed, add fridge, stove, heater, voila, now I'm a "motorhome" with infinite GVW. I can tow a 10 ton dump trailer, as long as it's for personal use, a CVSE cop can't do a thing.

We need to meet dumb laws with dumb solutions...

Yeah, I'm thinking about "converting" it to an RV registration. AFAIK, we don't even need a bed in Ontario.

The only thing stopping me is questions about insurance. Obviously my car insurance wouldn't work anymore. I'd have to get RV insurance, and I'm not sure how hard that would be to get the to accept my build. I mean, anybody with a brain who looks at it, realizes that it's better built than any RV. But that doesn't mean an insurance company will insure it.

TwinStick

Explorer
NY State is just as bad or worse. I got pulled over and ticketed with a bone stock brand new 1988 Ford Ranger, on the Sawmill Parkway. Trooper said because it didn't have a cap on the bed, it was considered a Commercial Vehicle. If I put a cap on it, I would be fine. So I just paid the ticket by mail and the very next day I was putting gas in my truck when someone pulled in with a older Ranger with a cap, with a sign that said "cap for sale". Like it was just meant to be, so $350 later I had a color matching cheap aluminum cap on my truck.

Awesome build. You got mad skills !!!

ripperj

Explorer
Awesome build. I like your design and implementation!

The flatbed bed no insurance is not just a Canadian thing. I have USAA and they are pretty awesome… but they won’t insure my 3500 if I put a flat or contractor box under a home auto policy, I need a commercial policy. When I asked why the lady said “it’s not a bed that a normal homeowner would have”…. I always knew I wasn’t normal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles