ALUMINUM EXTRUSION cargo shelf and barrier, quick and simple!

BorealOverland

Hi all!

I like to share a quick and simple storage solution i made just before we went on a two week Norway trip.
Because i had very limited time before the trip and a "new" car i just wanted to build some sort of shelf i can throw light weight stuff on to like sleeping bags, pillows and a bunch of little junk you gather while on the move..

I could have used wood but i have worked and build with aluminum extrusion a couple times before,
i like the looks, simplicity of building and how strong it is for it's weight.
I went with the 2020 and 2040 extrusions this time.

image00004.jpeg

Every piece was delivered cut to lenght exactly how i ordered it, super nice and saves time!

image00010.jpeg

image00016.jpeg

image00012.jpeg

Super strong and very easy to build with these corners..

image00028.jpeg

Plywood shelf made to fit with a router..

image00030.jpeg

Looking slick..
I made it this size so i can take it in and out of the car in one piece, only unscrew two brackets in the back.
7BFF492B-C05D-4B03-86A3-1AC45A854939.jpeg

5E7EF1F3-ADC3-4BDB-80C0-E8B106E36895.jpeg

12V LED light strip just for the fun of making it..

IMG_0838.jpg

That LED strip did a nice job at camp when looking into the duffle for clothing or getting stuff out of the Alu box.

There you go.. quick and simple build.
I think i spend a €100,- in total on this build, a cargo barrier alone would cost €160 at least (were i live..),
and i can use these extrusions over and over again for other builds that come along.

Coming back from our 2 week Norway trip.. do i still like the shelf..?
Yes, but you throw a lot of little junk and bags on there and a lot of that has to come of before you start the day driving and exploring the country roads again.
So it worked out nice for this trip and limited time i had to build something,
but in the near future i can see some kind of awesome aluminum extrusion drawer build coming,
just to give all that stuff a nice fixed place in a drawer somewhere.

Last edited:
Steve,

That is a very clever idea with the LED lights. I am working on a massive makeover for my 2000 Ford Excursion Diesel and the extruded aluminum unit is on my (eventual) build plan. You certainly gave me a few good ideas. Thanks.

Scotty

alia176

Explorer
What a great execution Steve, nice job!! So 2020 or 2040 extrusions are different form factors than the 8020 I'm used to, from what it appears. The 8020 stuff is great but a tad too industrial for my liking but if 2020 stuff is narrower or smaller, then I can see it being used in my vehicle.

BorealOverland

What a great execution Steve, nice job!! So 2020 or 2040 extrusions are different form factors than the 8020 I'm used to, from what it appears. The 8020 stuff is great but a tad too industrial for my liking but if 2020 stuff is narrower or smaller, then I can see it being used in my vehicle.

Hi, thanks man!

I know that 2020 stands for 20mm x20mm or 2040 is 20mmx40mm.. (here in Europe)
and i used 4040 and 4080 for building tables and machines myself..

But is "8020" mostly not just nickname or lose term for aluminum extrusions in general..?
Because 80mm x 20mm does not sound that usefull to me unless for the floor plate for a CNC machine maybe.
Anyway.. yes the 2020 should be plenty strong for most applications build inside a vehicle,
it's the same as Goose Gear use for there cabinets i believe but they use the fancy ones with 1 or 2 sides of the extrusion closed.

Last edited:

Nomadista

This is great. I'd like to build some shelves within an enclosed trailer that's 7x14', which I will be towing behind my vehicle (the trailer contains my adventure motorcycle). The manufacturer is willing to build them for me in steel but I'm concerned about the weight. Your idea makes me wonder if I can build them in this way and save some weight. Thanks for sharing.

kruetze

I have built a similar drawer system for my Discovery 4 with two drawers and a fridge slide based on the same extruded aluminium in 30x30 mm.
It's easy to work with and seems to be very sturdy so far.
87FC1B9D-0B11-4CD1-8F9F-6116C3C02924.jpeg BBE85D46-7634-40C7-B4C9-037371BB4E73.jpeg

BorealOverland

I have built a similar drawer system for my Discovery 4 with two drawers and a fridge slide based on the same extruded aluminium in 30x30 mm.
View attachment 643108 View attachment 643109
Looking great! Should be more than strong using 30x30.
Maybe if we can get a bit more outdoors and on road trips again after these freakin lockdows
i'll build myself a system looking like yours when i figure out exactly what works best for me..
And probably build a couple more after that because it did no worked as planned lol.

Take care,
Steve

Mtpisgah

View attachment 643108 View attachment 643109

I like that setup. How did you mount the drawer slides and what did you use for the top? I am getting ready to build some cabinets for the AluCab on our Gladiator and am planning to use 2020 but need to figure out the paneling and top. The side panels will probably be 1/4 plywood but I want something sturdier for the top like 1/2” or 3/4 ply, but more attractive.

kruetze

The two black drawers on the left have no slides. This is just a tight fit. They are guided by aluminium rails on the bottom, on the top and on the two sides. To make them slide more easy the underside of the drawers is carpeted as well.
IMG_1780.jpg

For the fridge slide i moved the side rails 5cm (2 inch) up and bolted some heavy duty sliders on with sliding nuts.
IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1774.jpg

The top is made out of two sheets of OSB a had left over. I used spray adhesive and car-carpet to make them look a bit nicer. They are bolted on with bolts and sliding nuts.
IMG_1783.jpg

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had thought about having the fridge on a slider like many have shown but after thinking about the most common use I decided to place the fridge between the second row seats. Removing the middle seat. This allows for using the fridge from either rear door when stopped or from the front seat by my copilot while driving and not having to exit the vehicle to get something from the fridge if the weather is not cooperating.
I can also get to the fridge while sleeping in the back should a thirst for a cold drink come upon me in the night.

Mtpisgah

@kruetze great execution there, I like the piston fit drawers vs sliders. I was trying to decide how to finish the top panel, the carpet is a better idea than just poly for comfort and durability I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles