Aluminum Expo Trailer Build

dmc1

Adventurer
After selling my expo trailer I'm going to see what I can do with my aluminum Featherlite to make it trail and travel ready.

(Sold expo trailer thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/116366-My-xPo-Trailer-Build)

Here is where I started.

Pics show what it looks like after "lifting" it (back before the leaves fell) and getting rid of the 13 inch wheels. Used some old Ford Ranger rims I had that I Plasti Dipped in gunmetal and had some new off road tires mounted. Looks better already. Pulls good too.

Also got the rack built for this one today. This rack system comes completely apart with relative ease. Going to mount some aluminum baskets on top for additional storage.

Pics to come as I make progress.

Last edited:

dmc1

Adventurer
The trailer has a torsion axle that bolts directly to the frame of the trailer. I used some 2x2x1/4 tubing to make a different mount. Looks like it came from the factory and gave me the lift I needed to get the bigger 15 inch with 235 tires on the trailer. I actually lifted it back before it turned cold to see how it would do. So far it has worked flawlessly. I dig the water fountain in the summer. It is great to be able to get a cold drink of water. The pay phone is fun too. I actually bought the sink off of Craigslist from a restaurant that was going out of business. It is nice to be able to wash my hands. Thanks for the comments.

How did you lift it? Also, love that sink, old pay phone and water fountain in your garage!

dmc1

Adventurer
Worked on the trailer a little bit. Since the trailer has a tailgate that folds I decided to fix it so it could be used as a table. Came out pretty good and can still be used as intended. Boxes are the ones I'll use to store my stuff when out and about traveling.

dmc1

Adventurer
Got the spare tire carrier built and installed. Since I was looking for a way to stand the tire up vertical and I wanted it inside of the trailer bed I made a mount that would use the spare hub I would carry in case it was needed. The hub is the exact same one used on the trailer itself. The wheel/tire bolts to the hub that slides into the mount that is held in place by a hitch pin and lock. It came out pretty good.

More to come...

dmc1

Adventurer
Got the aluminum storage tray bottoms mounted. Need to finish putting them together now. They are hinged so they can be tilted up to access boxes or removed all together if trailer is needed for something different.

I am making everything portable on this build so I can use the trailer as a flatbed if needed.

dmc1

Adventurer
Very nice! Any idea what it weighs with the racks/etc but no year or kayaks?

Not sure exactly what it weighs at this point. I intend on taking it to the local scales when I get the boxes mounted back on it. Right now with the way it is rigged in the pic above I can still stand on one of the corners at the taillights and pick it up off of the floor with relative ease. This trailer tows like a dream behind my Jeep.

dmc1

Adventurer
I bought the latches from MSC Direct some years ago while working on another project. I will post the part number tonight. I assume they are still readily available.

cwm

Observer
Thank you for the follow up. That latch is similar to the latch on my Jeep's tire carrier. I was at a trailer parts and repair shop in Denver Wed but they did not carry that style.

cwm

Observer
For future reference I just found similar latches on the McMaster-Carr web site. They are shown as Pull-Action Toggle Clamps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles