Aluminum cover for RTT???

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Has anyone made or purchased some type of aluminum cover for the various canvas RTT while traveling.

seems to me it would offer more protection from tree branches and be designed to increase aerodynamics.

Bobs85Reny

I have been designing and creating a prototype of a modular rooftop camper. It has an aluminum hardshell. Still in prototype stage.
Boxtop1.jpegBoxtop2.jpeg

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
The only hardshell cover I’ve seen for the soft shell tents is the bunduflip tent. I don’t think it’ll do anything for aerodynamics but it does solve the biggest headache which is putting the cover on and off.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I'm envisioning a simple cover. Hinged at the front that simply flips over the folded tent for travel. The leading edge would be slanted for a bit more aerodynamics.
It could be made a little longer than the folded tent to store acrolled up rug/mat or other stuff that might be wet or muddy.
I'm going to work on a prototype out of masonite. If successful I could make a mold and shoot it with fiberglass. Or have it fabricated out of sheet aluminium.
Stay tuned

Bobs85Reny

This looks very interesting? Got more pictures of it open? What happens with the shell when the tent is open?
Not ready to show all the details yet. I am looking into a patent and don't want to give away too much yet. It will have a solid roof when deployed. I am at SEMA next week and was hoping to maybe talk to some RTT manufactures and see if there would be any interest in it. It has a very small cubic footprint and it is lightweight and modular with multiple configurations. I wasn't happy with what was available so I decided to make my own. Its small enough to fit the roof of a gladiator and still have the ability to remove the freedom panels. Here is a pic of it still in a framework stage open sitting on the roof of a gladiator.
IMG_4239.jpg

colb45

Observer
Sometimes if the trails are brutally over grown ill throw a single max track between my light bar and tent. Use a ratchet strap to hold it in place. Works really well when your blasting your way through a trail at low speeds....

The Artisan

Adventurer
Not ready to show all the details yet. I am looking into a patent and don't want to give away too much yet. It will have a solid roof when deployed.
View attachment 547524
I would suggest paying for a patent search first. Don't show others until you have it pended, imo. I just went through this last may and in July I received patent pending number for my poptopper
Kevin

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles