Aluminum camper

sisu

Adventurer
Anyone have any intel on these campers?
Livin lite camp lite slide in campers.
I see a few dealers scattered here & there but so far haven't see one on the road. I put in 8K miles this year & never saw one.
http://www.livinlite.com/truck-campers.php

The other camper I'm curious about is the Hallmark. Any opinions on that company?

I'd like to upgrade from the 1994 Northern Lite 9.6 to something a little newer. Both of these companies offer something other than wood construction.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I just looked at the link, and checked out the 8.6. It looks like a horrible layout. It looks like a hallway with cutouts for seating and a galley.

Edited to add: and 1800 pounds doesn't sound ultra-light to me.

Robert907

Observer
I have an 8.5 on a dodge 2500 and have really enjoyed it. The weight doesn't seem to effect the truck's performance but you can feel the aerodynamic change from adding the camper.

Darwin

Explorer
I have an 8.5 on a dodge 2500 and have really enjoyed it.
Have you had your livin lite camper out in really hot or cold temperatures? And if so, how has it handled it? I am concerned the aluminum camper will add extra heat when it's really hot out.

Robert907

Observer
I have had it out in the 20's and gone to the beach (in North Carolina) several times. The camper originally had a 13.5 btu ac but I changed to a 9000 btu so I could run it with a Honda 2000 gen. Also the 13.5 k was overkill. It would be 98 degrees outside and freezing inside even on the lowest settings. The 9000 has no trouble keeping the camper extremely comfortable. We generally have to leave it on the low setting in the middle of the cold side to keep from getting the camper too cold.

As far as cold, the camper seems to hold heat pretty well. I have been quite happy with it.

Robert907

Observer
I agree with you CaveRun. I decided on the Livinlite camper after going to the beach for years and seeing Airstreams from the middle of the last century still being used as beach campers. I didn't want a camper that would de-laminate or fade. I have seen many other campers that I like also (many have fancier features) but have been satisfied with the Livinlite and it's focus on useability.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Anyone have any intel on these campers?
Livin lite camp lite slide in campers.
I see a few dealers scattered here & there but so far haven't see one on the road. I put in 8K miles this year & never saw one.
http://www.livinlite.com/truck-campers.php

The other camper I'm curious about is the Hallmark. Any opinions on that compa

I'd like to upgrade from the 1994 Northern Lite 9.6 to something a little newer. Both of these companies offer something other than wood construction.
I wonder what a rainy night would be like?

Darwin

Explorer
I have had it out in the 20's and gone to the beach (in North Carolina) several times. The camper originally had a 13.5 btu ac but I changed to a 9000 btu so I could run it with a Honda 2000 gen. Also the 13.5 k was overkill. It would be 98 degrees outside and freezing inside even on the lowest settings. The 9000 has no trouble keeping the camper extremely comfortable. We generally have to leave it on the low setting in the middle of the cold side to keep from getting the camper too cold.

As far as cold, the camper seems to hold heat pretty well. I have been quite happy with it.
Thanks for the reply. People say they think they are pretty stout. How has yours been holding up? I am curious because aluminum doesn't flex like wood. These campers really interest me and I have been thinking about purchasing one. I really like the idea of having no wood to rot. Do you have to reseal the top at all?

Robert907

Observer
First, we have been out in some heavy rains and it sounds quite muted inside. I sort of expected a barn roof type of noise but it is much quieter. Must be due to the thickness of the aluminum or the insulation.

As far as how it is holding up, we ( four of us ) have camped in it over 40 nights since we got it and I have only taken it off the truck a few times due to the way we use it but, everything still looks like it did when we got it. The seams are still the same and I have noticed no difference.

Lastly, the roof is silver, unfinished aluminum. I haven't coated it with anything.

I have done quite a few little things to personalize the camper. If someone decides to get one I would enjoy discussing my changes with them.

RE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles