Alu-Cab THOR Conversion for the 76, need one for JL

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Looks like Alu-Cab just released their conversion for the 76 series. This seems like an ideal setup for a JL. Even though there is the Ursa minor, the design of the AC-Thor fits my preference for interior living space and sleeping layout....especially for two people. Love the fact that the whole bed can be pushed up, where the Ursa only has one small section. Since AC already has a full top replacement model for the original Defender 110, I'd love to see them make a full top replacement conversion for the JL. The only thing needed would a Roll Bar modification kit for the back half of cage.

I'm already dreaming of the full Goose Gear build out of the rear with just the front two seats remaining.

Would anyone else be interested in an AluCab Thor concept for the JL?

campertramper

Looks like Alu-Cab just released their conversion for the 76 series. This seems like an ideal setup for a JL. Even though there is the Ursa minor, the design of the AC-Thor fits my preference for interior living space and sleeping layout....especially for two people. Love the fact that the whole bed can be pushed up, where the Ursa only has one small section. Since AC already has a full top replacement model for the original Defender 110, I'd love to see them make a full top replacement conversion for the JL. The only thing needed would a Roll Bar modification kit for the back half of cage.

I'm already dreaming of the full Goose Gear build out of the rear with just the front two seats remaining.

Would anyone else be interested in an AluCab Thor concept for the JL?

Wow!

Mules

How about one for the JT!! That is with a pass through to the cab. I couldn't find it, so I had to build it.

Attachments

• IMG_5244.JPG
    IMG_5244.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: Ark

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Alu-Cab makes fantastic products. Unfortunately the Jeep JL payload is significantly less(1310 lbs in non Rubicon models). The Land Cruiser 76 payload is 1750 lbs. verse Jeep Rubicon’s 1200 lbs. Unless you plan to drive a completely stock Jeep JL with Thor camper I just don’t see the appeal. If you where to kit it out as shown in the video you would be grossly overweight.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Weight should always be a concern. The Alu-Cab canopy camper for the JT is around 450. The Ursa for the JL is 260lbs. Since the overall top for the JL would be smaller than the JT canopy camper, a Thor for the JL would most likely not be much more than the Ursa. The key is to adjust expectations based on how you can outfit a vehicle based on all the factors.

As many with an Ursa, there is only so much you can do with a Wrangler. Those are penalties I'm willing to pay. If a Thor version cam in around 325lbs or less, I'd still have plenty of payload left with my gear and supplies. Luckily, I don't weigh much either so I don't steal too much of the limited payload.

I really like the layout design of the Thor more than the Ursa. It is the one thing that has held me back from just getting the Ursa.

Of course, I doubt Alu-Cab will make a Thor or Icarus or whatever for the JL so this thread is just for fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles