Alu-Cab Khaya Camper

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Hi @Herbie

The walls are just aluminum with carpet, however, the boxes create a large space on all the main walls which kind of insulate. The tent walls are double-walled as well and I am making my own down insulation panels to go up there. We bought the heater unit for this purpose, which has never worked properly. It’ll work for about 5 minutes and the camper gets plenty warm, then it shuts off. Without the heater, it would be pretty cold in there due to the tent fabric. There are hook n loop strips along the top edges of the tent roof interior where my panels will hang. Should be easy!

This is my first winter with the Khaya, so I will report after a few more snow trips. I will say, that the aluminum box stays remarkably cool in the summer though. Much to my surprise for being a big black box.

Corvusvelo

Unfortunately, I am not recommending that anyone buy the Khaya at this time...

Sorry to hear that you've had such a poor experience but I'm glad that you did share this. I've heard similar experiences from folks using the FWC. That is, issues with heating and electrical systems. Honestly this is one reason I'm leaning towards getting the canopy camper and building out the water, heat, and other systems myself. I've done it in a van and that provided a wealth of experience in the process and in knowing what to look for in systems that have already been built out. It always baffled me why Alu-Cab would choose to put a diesel heater in a camper for a gasoline vehicle with a propane stove. There are reliable propane heat systems (Propex) that seem like they would integrate better. If you're still enjoying the rest of the Khaya you might look at converting to one of those.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Sorry to hear that you've had such a poor experience but I'm glad that you did share this. I've heard similar experiences from folks using the FWC. That is, issues with heating and electrical systems. Honestly this is one reason I'm leaning towards getting the canopy camper and building out the water, heat, and other systems myself. I've done it in a van and that provided a wealth of experience in the process and in knowing what to look for in systems that have already been built out. It always baffled me why Alu-Cab would choose to put a diesel heater in a camper for a gasoline vehicle with a propane stove. There are reliable propane heat systems (Propex) that seem like they would integrate better. If you're still enjoying the rest of the Khaya you might look at converting to one of those.

Thanks for the insight! I do love my Khaya and feel confident we will work through the heater bugs. Being a diesel is a mystery considering....but I’m sure they had their reasons. I am having the air heater and water heater replaced, hopefully this month. I’ll update once that’s been done and tested properly. A lot of complex parts crammed in a tiny space! Good luck with your build ??

SimplyAnAdventure

I’d like to jump in on this. I have a Khaya Prime, fully loaded, electrical, hot water, diesel heat, literally everything. Mine has seen about 5k miles this year, and maybe 20 overnights give or take. It’s been absolutely flawless. The only “problem” mine had was when it was still being installed at OK4WD they found that the mixing valve was leaking. @rino and the whole team at OK4WD went absolutely out of there way to get it and test every system to be 100% perfect BEFORE I left the shop. I can 100% recommend a Khaya as it’s absolutely changed our camping experience. My wife likes sleeping in it as much as she likes our bed at home. Honestly OK4WD is the main importer and maybe it was just easier being here on the East Coast closer to them and there expertise. No complaints not regrets what so ever with mine. FWIW I came from a Go Fast Camper, which I have a lot less good to say about. As far as insulation, we camped in about 20 degree weather before I put my truck away for winter and couldn’t have been more comfortable. I was trying to use up the diesel fuel and barely put a dent in it running the heater 12 hours straight. Mine also has 200W’s of solar installed on it that the guys at OK4WD did and it keeps the battery in the camper full. It’s a bit of an investment but well worth it in my opinion. If your having trouble with your heater @RoninWanderer I may be able to help. There’s a few different modes that heater can run in but once I found the right one mine runs non-stop as long as I need it too. Let me know on here or IG.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
I’d like to jump in on this. I have a Khaya Prime, fully loaded, electrical, hot water, diesel heat, literally everything. Mine has seen about 5k miles this year, and maybe 20 overnights give or take. It’s been absolutely flawless. The only “problem” mine had was when it was still being installed at OK4WD they found that the mixing valve was leaking. @rino and the whole team at OK4WD went absolutely out of there way to get it and test every system to be 100% perfect BEFORE I left the shop. I can 100% recommend a Khaya as it’s absolutely changed our camping experience. My wife likes sleeping in it as much as she likes our bed at home. Honestly OK4WD is the main importer and maybe it was just easier being here on the East Coast closer to them and there expertise. No complaints not regrets what so ever with mine. FWIW I came from a Go Fast Camper, which I have a lot less good to say about. As far as insulation, we camped in about 20 degree weather before I put my truck away for winter and couldn’t have been more comfortable. I was trying to use up the diesel fuel and barely put a dent in it running the heater 12 hours straight. Mine also has 200W’s of solar installed on it that the guys at OK4WD did and it keeps the battery in the camper full. It’s a bit of an investment but well worth it in my opinion. If your having trouble with your heater @RoninWanderer I may be able to help. There’s a few different modes that heater can run in but once I found the right one mine runs non-stop as long as I need it too. Let me know on here or IG.

Getting the Khaya installed at OK4WD makes a huge difference. I wouldn’t have the issues I do if I had been closer to them and they had done the install. That said, @rino is working hard to get this taken care of and I’m confident we will eventually have everything working properly. Otherwise, we do love our Khaya and it’s a great design.
Hope to meet up on the trail someday @SimplyAnAdventure !

stumbled on this thread- i have a canopy camper that i picked up from OK4wd in April and could not say a bad thing about those guys- turns out i was the first 2nd gen to get installed and the surprise was that the gen3s are an inch taller in the bed. They came up with a solution and were determined to get it right. (solution is added a row of loadbar under the entire camper giving me another inch inside worked great- i think they now have a "kit" for 2nd gen fitment) Easy to recommend!

Not a khaya but my built out canopycamper- slept 4 adults for 6 nights in the back - comfortably i might add
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-old-camper-setup-and-my-new-alu-cab-canopy-camper.604871/

ARtrips

Finally got around to getting suspension and wheels/tires on our demo unit. I've heard of a few Khaya owners who have just done air bags with stock suspension...but going with a real suspension upgrade is a must in our opinion. This is an OME heavy kit (OMETAC16HKSB - $1,225) with a 1" spacer under the rear 96 series springs with the OEM UCA's in the front. It leveled out the truck perfectly and clears 285/75/16 tires no problem.

View attachment 485681View attachment 485682View attachment 485683View attachment 485684View attachment 485685

ARtrips

Hi, how changing the suspension to the one you recommend deal with payload of Tacoma , we have a 2012 pre runner and overall weight of Khaya raises my concern . Thanks for any insight

BDRXO

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Hi, how changing the suspension to the one you recommend deal with payload of Tacoma , we have a 2012 pre runner and overall weight of Khaya raises my concern . Thanks for any insight
These campers if fully loaded definitely max the payload of a Tacoma...Upgrading the suspension just makes it handle safer...does not change the payload max

Ryanpppy1

I have a 2010 Tacoma 4 door with Dakar Emu upgraded rear springs and I'm looking at a Khaya that is currently on a gen 3. What do I need to consider to get this on my truck? Any concerns with tie downs, bed enhancements, suspension etc?

Boltripper

I can tell you from a 3rg Gen standpoint that Dakar Mediums with cradles and air bags gives me the best of both worlds. The truck unloaded rides very nice, and when adding the camper I add about 60psi to the rear bags and its very stable on and off road. I also run OME BP-51's ~

Good luck -

john

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
I have a 2010 Tacoma 4 door with Dakar Emu upgraded rear springs and I'm looking at a Khaya that is currently on a gen 3. What do I need to consider to get this on my truck? Any concerns with tie downs, bed enhancements, suspension etc?

I agree, add in airbags. They will help immensely with higher speed cornering. Daystar cradles will help preserve axle articulation. Not much you can do with the bed, watch the bed mounts for stress fractures. The whole thing is made of plastic! Consider upgrades to your front brakes if you cross mountains a lot. Also, avoid any other heavy equipment like steel bumpers. You will already be past the trucks weight capacity and the rear axle is not strong in my experience. I also have BP-51 shocks and the adjustability is nice.

Chuck Prowse

Hi @Herbie

The walls are just aluminum with carpet, however, the boxes create a large space on all the main walls which kind of insulate. The tent walls are double-walled as well and I am making my own down insulation panels to go up there. We bought the heater unit for this purpose, which has never worked properly. It’ll work for about 5 minutes and the camper gets plenty warm, then it shuts off. Without the heater, it would be pretty cold in there due to the tent fabric. There are hook n loop strips along the top edges of the tent roof interior where my panels will hang. Should be easy!

This is my first winter with the Khaya, so I will report after a few more snow trips. I will say, that the aluminum box stays remarkably cool in the summer though. Much to my surprise for being a big black box.
Still using the Khaya? How is it on the Taco? I am looking for one right now. I think, given the canopy camper is great, but after you add a few things you are within striking distance of the Khaya price without a lot of the amenities. Kind of makes the canopy camper a hard sell unless you need to be lightweight and minimalistic and add nothing to it. 2021 tacoma puget sound area. Can't get it from Mule because it competes with the fourwheelcamper that has a 16 month backlog so that's out. I have a source but it's a drive. OME HD and 5.29s are in the plan. longbed double cab. Other question is the box on the roof, what rack did you use to mount it? Is there a specific one that fits with the khaya and mounts the box where it sits right like that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94