Alu-Cab Khaya Camper

BDRXO

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Is anyone selling one used?
There are so few of these in the US, finding a used one will be a needle in a haystack. I do know of another dealer who has a demo he had up for sale a couple weeks ago...feel free to PM me and I can connect you

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Moab and mountains outside SLC.

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
Still working out the bugs, but people are amazed at the locations I can get a comfy camper too. Rescued a SxS from a mud/snow soup yesterday, then blasted right on through with my Taco to the best camp spots.

If I may ask, the Khaya Basic is completely empty on the inside? Does that mean one could configure it themselves like the 4 sleeper? Most importantly does it have the pass through under the main bunk?

I would like to have the option of sleeping, in a pinch, with the top down. For those super secret squirrel stealth missions... Is there a cloaking option?

BDRXO

If I may ask, the Khaya Basic is completely empty on the inside? Does that mean one could configure it themselves like the 4 sleeper? Most importantly does it have the pass through under the main bunk?

I would like to have the option of sleeping, in a pinch, with the top down. For those super secret squirrel stealth missions... Is there a cloaking option?
Correct… The Khaya base model is totally empty inside. There is no lower “pass-thru” because it is empty. So yes, one could absolutely sleep down below with the pop-up in closed position so long as you are not over about 6’ tall.

Have a look at this video....at about 4:30 into it you can get a good feel for what a base shell unit looks like inside:

Last edited:
Correct… The Khaya base model is totally empty inside. There is no lower “pass-thru” because it is empty. So yes, one could absolutely sleep down below with the pop-up in closed position so long as you are not over about 6’ tall.

Have a look at this video....at about 4:30 into it you can get a good feel for what a base shell unit looks like inside:

Thank you for the quick reply. Does the Base have the fixtures inside the side doors? Or is it just a hole behind the door like the Canopy Camper? Ideally I would like to put my fridge on a side where I can reach it through a side door without having to enter the camper.

Is there a diagram somewhere specifically on the Base? I am visioning the Base as being a Canopy Camper, but with the bumpout and the narrow door.

This would be easier in person, with a cocktail napkin, and hand gestures.

BDRXO

Thank you for the quick reply. Does the Base have the fixtures inside the side doors? Or is it just a hole behind the door like the Canopy Camper? Ideally I would like to put my fridge on a side where I can reach it through a side door without having to enter the camper.

Is there a diagram somewhere specifically on the Base? I am visioning the Base as being a Canopy Camper, but with the bumpout and the narrow door.

This would be easier in person, with a cocktail napkin, and hand gestures.
Haha! Give me a call when you can. This would be way easier over the phone ;-)
916-496-0648

BDRXO

Hey all...there is one Khaya 2 sleeper (Prime Plus) with all available options that is up for grabs due to land in the US in 6 weeks. Production lead time for new orders is still about 5 months, so if you want a 2 sleeper Khaya this fall, this is the last opportunity to one without the long production wait times. 50% deposit is due to hold. PM or call me if you are interested.

JackAttack13

Observer
Anyone test fit one of these on the new Ranger or Colorado yet? It would be nice to be able to shop around on different truck platforms.

BDRXO

Anyone test fit one of these on the new Ranger or Colorado yet? It would be nice to be able to shop around on different truck platforms.

Yes ans yes...both have been fitted and there are mounting kits for both those platforms

Graton

Thanks. Overall, I love the Khaya and feel that the products are really well made and thought-out. I've had a couple of small issues so far, but nothing major. My MPG's have been horrible with the big tires, etc, and they aren't great now that's for sure. I'll be looking for an extended-range tank at some point I'm sure.

I had a lot of extra weight on the trip home due to having a lot of extra parts in the roof box and back seat, the truck struggled in mountain passes and braking was noticeably weak. Once I removed the extra items, the truck handles much better. I will be looking to make some small bumps to power and increase my braking as well over the summer. I went into this knowing this truck wouldn't be a desert-racer so that's a good way to look at it. Long-travel need not apply! Off-road, she did pretty well. Go a little slower and be mindful of where the weight is. I've been camping in it since picking it up last week and am loving the design. It's great!

I'm looking at a Khaya this weekend and also checking out the Canopy model. The weight really concerns me, I currently have an AT Habitat, which is great, but I recently relocated from west coast to east, and the Habitat is not good for four seasons out here - I need something smaller that I can easily insulate and heat. So RoninWanderer, when you say "Long-Travel need not apply!" how bad is it? Is that gas mileage, the highway handling, or just overall how it should be used - how bad is you mileage? My plan is to take it all over the US, Canada, and Mexico - what do you think are the major drawbacks for that?

Graton

Ronin,

Thanks for the quick response and feedback on the Khaya - those are some serious concerns especially considering the price. Maybe the Canopy should be higher on my list, and also checking out the AT Atlas and AT Summit - maybe they will give me a good trade-in on the Habitat.

Hi @Graton

We built the truck to handle the weight. While it is noticeable, it hasn’t stopped me from doing some technical trails and running somewhat quickly through the desert. Just gotta know where the weight is. Gas mileage is bad, maybe 12 on average. It changes a lot based on conditions. I wanted this for 4-season use, so the living build out and insulation were important as we also travel all over NA and eventually further south.

Unfortunately, I am not recommending that anyone buy the Khaya at this time. My unit has been buggy since the day I picked it up from @BDRXO . Neither the air heater nor the water heater has ever worked and no one can seem to fix them due to the brands not being common around here. Getting assistance for a repair is a major problem. I have had electrical issues and two propane leaks! 6 months of troubleshooting and all but the heaters are now working correctly. I know of two other Khaya owners with similar issues. Until AluCab can fix those units to spec, I am recommending to buy something made in the US for easy repair. If everything worked, and your truck is built for the weight, this setup is quite capable and very unique.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've looked at both the US and home Alu-Cab sites and I'm confused about the insulation in the Khaya. Are the walls just aluminum with carpet applied on the inside, or is there insulation there? I get that the roof panel is insulated, but trying to figure out if this is viable for even 3+ season use, or if it's a big metal box with a tent on it. Trying to climate control a box with any aluminum exposed to the outside seems like a losing battle...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles