Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Glad to hear I wasn't making it up! Is the old insulation kit compatible with the new fabric? It sounds like the new fabric definitely helps, though I'm sure you and anyone else who has camped below freezing temps can attest that every little bit helps!

haha nope you were right on man! The new fabric is essentially this kit but now factory installed at no additional cost. ;) Key way to spot it is all Gen III tents that have the orange piping versus black.

rino

Hey @rino , does the Khaya have this awesome construction?

Yeah man! All of our tents, roof conversions and both campers use the same double layer design with 400-gram UV-resistant rib-lock waterproof canvas, over sized YKK zippers and all seams on the inner layer.

rshuckfinn

Adventurer
Any concerns with the Alu-Cab Tent in lightning storms? I live in Arizona and we tend to have a pretty active monsoon season. The idea of sleeping inside a metal tent on the roof is slightly concerning. Other then that love the tent.

rino

Any concerns with the Alu-Cab Tent in lightning storms? I live in Arizona and we tend to have a pretty active monsoon season. The idea of sleeping inside a metal tent on the roof is slightly concerning. Other then that love the tent.

Well I haven't had any customers report getting struck by lightning, but then again maybe because they were struck by lightning... :p To be honest it sounds a bit frightening but I do not have a scientific answer for you, my recommendation would be to call it if the weather is that bad and resort to the truck for safety.

rino

We are excited to announce that 2014- 2019 Colorado 5' Canopies and Canopy Campers are now available and will begin shipping this March!

1oTkdeL.jpg

39XPunu.jpg

Both of our Colorado offerings feature a new mounting design from the engineers at Alu-Cab that allows the stake pocket holes to be utilized for a secure connection that cannot rattle loose or loose tension like J style hooks. These stainless steel mounts also have integrated lashing points for your gear!

vfqa5pO.jpg

2wXPECY.jpg

The Colorado spec Canopy Camper also utilizes a rear rebate section that bolts into the rear tailgate hinge bolt holes for a complete bolt on install.

C1omKpk.jpg

a9603cb.jpg

mJH0HAR.jpg

Visit your local Alu-Cab dealer or https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/alu-cab-canopy-for-2014-chevrolet-colorado-1 for more details!

Last edited:

frans

Adventurer
Yes we offer spares of all our tent fabrics, DIY?

Yes, DIY.
I have a '59 series 2 Land Rover 109. I can easily fabricate a lifting roof using the existing roof with a frame under it. Hinge in the front. My friend is a metal fabricator.
The hard part is the fabric as I don't know anyone with the skills to sew.

Scoutman

Explorer
So we used to offer it, but around June of last year we implemented a new fabric design that is actually two layers of 400 gram canvas with no seams on the outer layer and all zippers and seams are sewn on the inner layer. This also doubles as an air gap between the layers and creates insulation and reduces condensation.

Does condensation form between these 2 layers and if so how do you clean or dry that out?

I sent you an e-mail yesterday @rino on some other questions I had. I figured you'd see an e-mail sooner than a post on here.

For anyone using one of these tents, how is sleeping for 2?

kb1ejh

Believe it or not the alu-cab.com website has finally been updated... Still looking for where they hid the full sized truck canopies and Khaya...Rin???

MDA

Observer
Quick FJ question. Is it still possible to mount the tent directly to the oem rack attachments on the roof? Or in other words, mount the tent without a rack?

Stabwell

Quick FJ question. Is it still possible to mount the tent directly to the oem rack attachments on the roof? Or in other words, mount the tent without a rack?

I initially mounted mine on my 100 series Land Cruiser without a rack or load bars. I found that the tent sagged in the middle without support. I ended up adding load bars to support it.

MDA

Observer
I was thinking the same thing. I like the idea above but if I end up getting a gen 3, I'll probably just mount it on my FR rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles