Alu Cab Expedition 3 RTT wear and tear

Looking at investing in a Alu Cab expedition rtt. Curious to know how it holds up to branches running down the side and top of it. I currently have the expedition canopy. So the tent will be up there a bit. And the roads/trails out here in the pnw have a few branches. How has yours held up?

m(a)ce

Adventurer
I tested one for a couple months (and wrote a review for OX4) - and it’s exterior shell is super bomber. Dragged it repeatedly though tight East coast trails and was fine. I’d be more concerned with branches/limbs with the soft RTTs I’ve owned/experienced than this. Hope you can check one out firsthand to see the beefiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danmedeiros

Observer
Mine gets smashed it to tree branches almost everyday. Paint is scratched but tent isn't dented and still functions flawlessly. I did take one good dent on the side where it must have flexed and hit a mounting bolt. However it just dented and didn't break. Tent is bomber

Scoutman

Explorer
How has the rest of the tent held up? Any leaks or other flaws to speak of? I had read in another thread on here where water was coming in some of the rivets but haven't seen much more about it.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
How has the rest of the tent held up? Any leaks or other flaws to speak of? I had read in another thread on here where water was coming in some of the rivets but haven't seen much more about it.

The rivets were on the first 10 tents we imported back in 2015. It was the first run of EXP III models and they were tested but not tested for our fine rainy environment up here. :)b The design was amended immediately and all models since then have no rivets over the sleeping area.

Scoutman

Explorer
Thanks Rin. What's the word on side door coverings? I had seen some exp3's on IG with an add on side cover. Is that something we can see in the US or is that something that would be changed for the next gen of tent?

Also, is the telescoping ladder an option now instead of the fixed one or is that something buyers still have to source elsewhere?

I'm hoping to come see this tent in person at expo east before I pull the trigger on one.

TRD Burglar

My tent is leaking when driving in heavy rain. I suspected the dealer didn't seal the holes for the Shadow Awn mount, so I took it down, and as suspected the holes were not sealed. I sealed them up and remounted the awning 2 weeks ago and thought things were all good.
Then we had heavy rain this weekend in Dallas and water is still getting in. I bought my tent in Feb 2018, well after the initial unsealed rivet issue.
The headliner isn't wet, just the front end of the mattress. I'm still looking for the leak. I'm now suspecting the hinges, but I don't want to take them apart if I don't have to. If anyone has any experience fixing leaks in their tent, please let me know.

Last edited:

emulous74

Thanks Rin. What's the word on side door coverings? I had seen some exp3's on IG with an add on side cover. Is that something we can see in the US or is that something that would be changed for the next gen of tent?

Also, is the telescoping ladder an option now instead of the fixed one or is that something buyers still have to source elsewhere?

I'm hoping to come see this tent in person at expo east before I pull the trigger on one.

Mine came in damaged with dents and scratches on the top on Aug. 4, the vendor has been awful avoiding phone calls and not returning messages, have Amex after them now. I will either have my damaged one or a new one at expo east.

Scoutman

Explorer
My tent is leaking when driving in heavy rain. I suspected the dealer didn't seal the holes for the Shadow Awn mount, so I took it down, and as suspected the holes were not sealed. I sealed them up and remounted the awning 2 weeks ago and thought things were all good.
Then we had heavy rain this weekend in Dallas and water is still getting in. I bought my tent in Feb 2018, well after the initial unsealed rivet issue.
The headliner isn't wet, just the front end of the mattress. I'm still looking for the leak. I'm now suspecting the hinges, but I don't want to take them apart if I don't have to. If anyone has any experience fixing leaks in their tent, please let me know.
Good to know. I'd like to see how that turns out. There's nothing more frustrating than a water leak whether it's on a camper, a vehicle, or something like a tent. Since mine lives on my daily driver keeping things dry and not worrying about leaks is very important to me.

Can you shoot an interior picture of where the front hinge meets up with the shell/fabric?
Is there fabric in the front or just a hinge?
Do you know if the water got in while sitting in the driveway or was it from driving in the rain?

rino

I have seen a few times where the ladder gets pushed above the front "lip" when being closed up, bending it downward which will let water past while driving. Take a peak from the inside at the lip for damage, if nothing it is best to have a friend spray it with a hose with someone inside to inspect for any leaks. LMK what you find and we are happy to help and get you back to 100%.

rino

Mine came in damaged with dents and scratches on the top on Aug. 4, the vendor has been awful avoiding phone calls and not returning messages, have Amex after them now. I will either have my damaged one or a new one at expo east.

Can I ask what vendor? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

The rivets were on the first 10 tents we imported back in 2015. It was the first run of EXP III models and they were tested but not tested for our fine rainy environment up here. :)b The design was amended immediately and all models since then have no rivets over the sleeping area.

Heard rumors u guys at OK4WD are dropping Alu Cab? Know the only PNW distributor is dropping them

rino

Heard rumors u guys at OK4WD are dropping Alu Cab? Know the only PNW distributor is dropping them
I know Adventure Ready is dropping Alu-Cab.
I haven't heard about OK4WD dropping them.

Alu-Cab / OK4WD dropped Adventure Ready last month due to a slew of issues, since then they have made a big scene and tried flipping the story around. Really elementary...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles