Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

BDRXO

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
What ga/mm thickness is the aluminum and how is it insulated?

I checked w/ our main US distributor and they did not have that level of detail. We will have to inquire w/ Alu-Cab engineering, but they are off through Jan/07 for mandatory vacation (South African Union thing). Check back w/ me in January and I'll see what I can find out.

BDRXO

What ga/mm thickness is the aluminum and how is it insulated?

Just circling back on this question. All of the aluminum sheeting used in these campers is 2-3mm think (depending on where on the camper you are talking about). What gives it a combination of incredible durability and strength combined with light weight is the frame extrusion...so the sheeting does not need to be thick. As for insulation, these units are not insulated on the sides, just the roof of the tent which is the same as the Gen3 tents and Khaya campers. Let me know if you have any other questions...

BDRXO

Have just placed an order for a fully loaded stock unit if anyone is interested. 3rd Gen Tacoma SB in black.

lumis

How much higher than the can roof is it. Wondering if it would fit in my garage

For the record and I was very excited when mine did fit in my garage (tacoma). I have a standard height garage door and had less than an inch when pulling it in. I don't have anything on top no cross bars or anything so depending on your lift (mine is about 2 inch and 1 inch bigger tires)

lumis

I look forward to hearing how it goes. I've also read about some aftermarket backup lights/camera combos for vans that could potentially be mounted above the door and extend the existing harness up the back panel.

Ok, this is what I ended up doing. I ordered a replacement camera and harness extension from rostra (250-8631-W) I then mounted that next to the 3rd brake light on the Alu-Cab and ran the harness extension through the frame of the Camper. It gives me a good overview of what is behind me. I posted a video of the Alu-Cab where at the end I show the reverse camera from inside the cab.

BDRXO

What is the length of just the front sleeping platform?

The front platform is about 6' 9" long....and with both front and rear platforms down the bed length is 8' 5" long. Total width is 53"

Jeepsies

It has been a minute since anyone has posted about their Canopy Campers. Any new information since the last post? Would love to see some images and ideas for a build out with this unit.

primussucks

I'd like more info on that Ram 2500 Quad Cab thats in the first picture. Any more details on that build?
I'm looking for options on that exact truck.

It has been a minute since anyone has posted about their Canopy Campers. Any new information since the last post? Would love to see some images and ideas for a build out with this unit.

Not really new, but Mountain State Overland just put up their videos of their Tacoma 3.0 with a Canopy Camper and some of the ideas they did for it.

(This is the build part of the Canopy camper)
(This is the recap of all the items modified on the Tacoma)

I have a 18 Tacoma DCSB with a fully loaded Khaya. My only regret is that it is super heavy compared to this type of setup.

Jeepsies

@wordofbabb thanks for posting that up. Great setup. Weight is everything to us for our build. We have a spreadsheet with everything broken down that we're envisioning. The only thing I don't like on the video above is the wood in the drawers. For a globally capable vehicle some countries have issue with wood of any kind inside the vehicle and will reject entry. I love all the builds that folks are doing on the Alu-Cab Canopy Camper and devouring it like drinking from a firehose.

SummitLifeNow

I just spoke w/ our distributor and these units will fit the following applications:

Tacoma (2nd & 3rd Gen) Short Bed & Long Bed
Colorado Short Bed & Long Bed
Nissan Frontier Short Bed & Long Bed

The only differences will be the rear door fitment kit. Otherwise universal.
and Canyon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior