Alu-Cab Canopy Camper - For immediate delivery or install

BDRXO

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
That is an awesome rig you got there. I have been looking around to get ideas on my overland setup and this one is checking all the boxes.

After having both the Khaya & now the Canopy Camper, I must say I agree. Don't get me wrong...the Khaya camper w/ all it's features (hot H2O, Furnace, etc.) is a very slick set-up....but like any fully self-contained slide-in unit, it is a heavy bugger and not conducive to the places I like to access.

The Canopy Camper is (to me) the perfect blend of utility in a light-weight package and I love that the interior is a blank canvas to customize to your exact specifications. That all said I've spoken w/ many customers who don't have the skills, desire, or patience to build out custom systems like dual batteries, on-board water, build cabinets, etc...so for them the Khaya makes sense.

For a dedicated travel truck where you don't care about the more "permenent" installation of the Canopy Camper...to me it is the clear winner in terms of value, configurability, and simplicity.

I'll be installing my Goose Gear cabinets over the next few weeks and will post up more photo's when I'm done.

fastchariot

Keeping the setup light is key to a great trip. One needs to find the right balance between amenities and being able to get to 'Overlanding' destinations with ease. Just curious but have you seen a dip in gas mileage based on the weight of the canopy camper and the aerodynamic nature of its design?

BDRXO

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Keeping the setup light is key to a great trip. One needs to find the right balance between amenities and being able to get to 'Overlanding' destinations with ease. Just curious but have you seen a dip in gas mileage based on the weight of the canopy camper and the aerodynamic nature of its design?
When I had a Khaya on this truck the gas mileage really suffered...especially on trips where long elevated climbs and headwinds were at play. In fact on the way back from OX West crossing the Mohave I was down to 9 MPG...and my truck is a 6sp manual so I can control the shift points. I'me sure it would have been even worse with an auto. Granted the conditions were a perfect storm of very strong headwinds and long climbs up the grades.

Once I drove the Khaya off and mounted the Canopy Camper my mileage returned to much more acceptable levels. I'm now averaging about 15-16 MPG fully loaded with gear and lose maybe 2 MPG's in the mountains....so it's a pretty substantial difference.

Keep in mind I'm running 285/75's with stock diff gearing...with 265's you may pick up 1-2 MPG. Hope that helps in terms of compare and contrast. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94