Alu-cab awning concern, looking for some insight based on my purchase

RBA

Adventurer
Hi,

I just received my Alu-cab awning from OK4WD. It's odd that there is no instruction set that comes with the awning and you have to drill holes through the awning cover to get it to mount. I emailed OK4WD but they haven't responded yet over the weekend. Anyway, in every video I've seen as part of my typical research phase, I've seen a pad added to the fabric of the awning where the leg rises up on one of the rafters to hold the fabric up and taught. Oddly, mine doesn't have the pad/extra bit of fabric. See pic...Any other buyers noticed the same thing? I emailed alu-cab directly but while I wait, I figured I'd ask the question here to see if I get a quicker response.IMG_3286.jpeg

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Yes, that is a valid concern. I was also a little miffed at having to pierce the cover with the mounting screws, especially with no instructions or website to refer to with install pics and tips. But, I digress - IMHO, Alu Cab/OK4WD must respond to your inquiry for at least 2 reasons. First they brag about how it's reinforced on their sales videos and second, since yours is lacking the pad, it constitutes inferior quality and a weak spot for a future premature failure.
Edit: BTW mine also has the pad and was purchased a little over a year ago.

Last edited:

RBA

Adventurer
I received a response from OK4WD and they apologized about not having any instructions with the awning and confirmed that I need to drill holes in the cover. I also received a response from Alu-Cab about the lack of a pad. They said that they no longer add the reinforcement pad to the latest batch because of the stitching allows water weeping under in the rain. The said they tested the fabric and it doesn't need any reinforcement. So there we have it. It sounds kind of ironic that they don't want to create any tiny holes from the stitching but want us to drill hug holes for the bolts through the cover. I get it's not the same thing, I just find it a little ironic.

So for anyone in the future who buys the awning and has the same questions and does a google search, hopefully you will read this thread.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
So I guess the joke is on the rest of us that have the pad? That is crazy! Maybe if we complain about a leak in that area, they'll replace the awning fabric :rolleyes:? Thanks, RBA for reporting back their responses!

Dozer Dan

Observer
To be fair, I think it's the same with every awning I've ever seen. You always have to cut holes in the bag for mounting. Really no other way of doing it as no 2 awnings will be mounted the exact same way.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
........I also received a response from Alu-Cab about the lack of a pad. They said that they no longer add the reinforcement pad to the latest batch because of the stitching allows water weeping under in the rain. The said they tested the fabric and it doesn't need any reinforcement...........
This response was from Alu Cab or OK4WD? I'd send back a reply to whomever asking: Did they not test the fabric before they built & shipped the ones that have the sewed in reinforcement or was it a design decision that it seemed like a good idea at the time???

plh

Explorer
specifications subject to change without notice I'm sure is the standard disclaimer

RBA

Adventurer
To be fair, I think it's the same with every awning I've ever seen. You always have to cut holes in the bag for mounting. Really no other way of doing it as no 2 awnings will be mounted the exact same way.

My Rhino awning had a metal rail built into the cover so the owner didn't need drill into the cover.

RBA

Adventurer
This response was from Alu Cab or OK4WD? I'd send back a reply to whomever asking: Did they not test the fabric before they built & shipped the ones that have the sewed in reinforcement or was it a design decision that it seemed like a good idea at the time???

That was a response from Alu-cab.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
specifications subject to change without notice I'm sure is the standard disclaimer
Fine, now I have an inferior awning because it is doomed to weep in wet conditions because their "testing" is finally complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles