Alternator output voltage?

Installing a winch, so figured I'd test my battery and alternator.

Battery is reading 12.6v when the truck is off, which I think is perfect
When the engine is running (at idle) I'm reading 13.99v - I thought a healthy alternator should be between 14.2 and 14.5v? Does the mean the alternator is starting to go?

This is on a gen1 (2004). I know some cars have variable output alternators, does the 1st gen Xterra?

DaveN

2nd gens are variable. Your owner's manual should say, mine does (2010 X).

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
...​
When the engine is running (at idle) I'm reading 13.99v - I thought a healthy alternator should be between 14.2 and 14.5v? Does the mean the alternator is starting to go?​
...​

Probably means that your alternator is perfect. The voltage is, however, not high enough for a large, deep cycle battery. You will need to raise the voltage to about 14.4v (at 20C), use a B2B (battery to battery charger) or look into lithium batteries for your camper battery. This latter option might be well worth it as you don't have a lot of space or weight to play with.

This subject is beaten to death on the 12v forum.

Anyone else with a 1st gen test their voltage while at idle? Curious if other folks are getting anything higher around 14.4v?

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 12.18.56 PM.png

Looking at the FSM for my truck, 'Regulated output voltage' (which I think is what I'm testing?) is 14.1-14.7v - so I guess I'm under spec?

Last edited:

Jeffer949

Observer
I have an 03 frontier and at idle with no accessories on im only at like 13.8-13.9v. That is measuring through the Nissan data scan obdII app on my phone. Going down the highway with lights and ac on full blast it honestly drops to 13.6-13.7. Battery always good at 12.6 or so with the engine off. Ive been looking at switching to the Quest alternator for more amperage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier