Alternator Dimensions

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Not an exhaustive list of all alternators but certainly those most common at an ordinary parts store. I compiled this from Powermaster's catalog for use in my search of an alternator to replace the Smog Pump without modifying the bracket. I'll be measuring the pump and bracket and diagraming them both soon but that'll require some disassembly that's not feasible at the moment.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My old Ford has a 2G. When I replaced it some years ago, I discovered that there are a couple of different part numbers. The only difference, is in how the front and rear of the cases are "clocked". In my van, one would work, but the other had the rear of the case turned which would not have worked, because the wires would have been right next to the frame.

If I had to in a pinch, I could buy the wrong part number, take it apart, rotate the rear of the case to the proper position and put it back together.

I seem to recall someplace somewhere where I saw 3G alternators offered with the rears clocked into different positions as well. No idea where I saw it, but it told me that those alternators might have the same "gotcha" as the 2Gs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online