Alternatives to heavy dark canvass awning walls

DFNDER

We have the 23zero 180 with walls on one side of our square drop, and while the quality is outstanding, and the walls can take heavy winds, the family finds the heavy LST fabric way too dark and the space underneath downright depressing. Can't say I disagree. We don't camp in the desert where I guess the LST and other dark heavy fabrics would be helpful I guess, so I've been looking for alternatives that might be made out of lighter nylon backpacking tent fabrics, and coming up with nothing. Overlanding world seems to be fixated on really heavy dark tents and awning walls, which maybe makes sense in terms of durability, but it feel like we're camping in a cave. Would also be nice to have walls that pack lighter and smaller than these beasts. Anyone out there making walls from lighter fabrics that let more light through, or maybe have zip down windows at the very least? Feel like the overloading market needs a dose of backpacking technology to provide some alternatives to all this heavy dark green and brown stuff.

dstefan

We have the 23zero 180 with walls on one side of our square drop, and while the quality is outstanding, and the walls can take heavy winds, the family finds the heavy LST fabric way too dark and the space underneath downright depressing. Can't say I disagree. We don't camp in the desert where I guess the LST and other dark heavy fabrics would be helpful I guess, so I've been looking for alternatives that might be made out of lighter nylon backpacking tent fabrics, and coming up with nothing. Overlanding world seems to be fixated on really heavy dark tents and awning walls, which maybe makes sense in terms of durability, but it feel like we're camping in a cave. Would also be nice to have walls that pack lighter and smaller than these beasts. Anyone out there making walls from lighter fabrics that let more light through, or maybe have zip down windows at the very least? Feel like the overloading market needs a dose of backpacking technology to provide some alternatives to all this heavy dark green and brown stuff.

+1 on this! I have the same awning, and I live in Phoenix ?

I have measured the underside at 130° in direct sun when its 85° using a calibrated heat ”gun” thermometer. It’s so hot it will actually heat the camper inside.

I slammed 23 Zero about his on a survey they sent me, but …
Lets both call them and complain!

I will say that when I use it in the back country for shade, which isn’t that often, it’s usually tolerable to helpful, but mainly cause I try hard to go to cooler places.

I carry a roll of 3 mm double sided radiant barrier with 1/4” closed cell foam inbetween to throw on top and secure it with binder clips and using the awning track on the back of the arms. That cuts the heat really well, when its hotter, but its a slight PITA.

My next fix attempt is gonna be some aluminized fabric paint, once I can test it on
on the stake bag fabric, which is the same as the awning.

I also have an awning I adapted from Bus Depot (a VW van supplier) that I use on the side of my camper. Its made of an silvered somewhat light transmissible fabric. It work well, but is not quite as simple a set up and not that good in wind.

See post 192 here for details:

Try a 10 or 12 oz Vinyl scrim white would be the brightest inside. There are truck tarps made out of the stuff. the open big rigs use a 16oz to 20 oz vinyl. Shelter-rite is a name that comes to mind but I think it is 18 or 20oz. talk to a company that makes truck tarps in your area. I had windows put into a friends tarp I designed, the were hard to see out of but allowed light. Tarps now has a wide numbers of vinyl and will send samples. tarps now.com

Last edited:

DFNDER

Try a 10 or 12 oz Vinyl scrim white would be the brightest inside. There are truck tarps made out of the stuff. the open big rigs use a 16oz to 20 oz vinyl. Shelter-rite is a name that comes to mind but I think it is 18 or 20oz. talk to a company that makes truck tarps in your area. I had windows put into a friends tarp I designed, the were hard to see out of but allowed light. Tarps now has a wide numbers of vinyl and will send samples. tarps now.com
Thanks but not sure I want to hang a hunk of vinyl off the awning or pack that up. I think I’ll find a custom tent maker somewhere who can cut and sew walls out of high quality tent nylon.

Superduty

Adventurer
Tyvek that is used for house wrap could be a good option. If you took the time to really make it correct with grommets or a way to easily secure it to the awning and then a way to anchor it at the base. It is very light weight and folds up small. It is also fairly strong. It can be a bit noisy as it is "crinkly". Also, in light winds it will blow around, though it will be able to survive most winds.

Thanks but not sure I want to hang a hunk of vinyl off the awning or pack that up. I think I’ll find a custom tent maker somewhere who can cut and sew walls out of high quality tent nylon.
Go with a Polyester over nylon in that case. Nylon breaks down with UV light, most high end tents use Poly for the flys these days. Look for awning company in you area.

Mashurst

Adventurer
I have had good luck with Ripstop by the roll. Sil poly might be what you are looking for. It is what nicer tents are made from.

spikemd

Explorer
Check out Overland Pros new Wraptor 3K 180 degree awning. It is a grey color but no black underneath. It provides great coverage without being a cave. The awning is waterproof canvas while the walls connect with velcro and are a lighter weight poly material. Velcro is much easier to attach than zippers.

https://overlandpros.com/product/wraptor-180/

Furb

old thread bump, but I ran across this thread looking for a similar solution for my 23zero 180 Peregrine awning and wanted to share something I was looking at as a possible solution.

I saw this on an Aussie overlander's youtube video where he used this on his 23zero as a replacement to the 23zero dark green awning heat issue. It is a company in Australia, haven't pulled the trigger for myself just yet, but figured I'd share in case it is helpful for anyone else.

I haven't reached out about options, shipping to US, etc

Shady Gear Awning walls

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior