Alternatives to Dynamat?

Inline6

Adventurer
not a fan of mixing the glass/ceramic balls into standard paint, the diy method. Its like 79 bucks for a gallon, not a show stopper price IMHO. It does take 24 hours between coats, that is the main issue to me, time.

javajoe79

Fabricator
not a fan of mixing the glass/ceramic balls into standard paint, the diy method. Its like 79 bucks for a gallon, not a show stopper price IMHO. It does take 24 hours between coats, that is the main issue to me, time.
Why are you not a fan? Just time?

john61ct

Adventurer
Does almost nothing thermally.

Just stick non-outgassing weight on the panels, 20-40% of area is fine.

Then then the thermal insulation, thick as you need, get as tight an envelope vapour barrier as practical.

If the bed liner type paint helps protect your surfaces or you like the look, great, then the acoustic deadening is a side benefit of that.

Expedition Lab

I did some measuring of my E350 today. I need about 250sq ft of sound deadening for what I want to do. I did some research and it seems there’s some options. Hushmat and others. Anyone have any experience with a less expensive option? Or, a line on Dynamat for less that what I can find online? It looks like I’d be close to $1000 if I used Dynamat.

amazon search for kilmat sound deadning , works great in the cab of our forestry buggy

Trestle

I've used the Fatmat, Noico, and Rattletrap. Noico seems to be the least pricey, is butyl, and worked as well as the Rattletrap. The Fatmat was OK, but I wouldn't buy it again if given the choice. Noico is all over amazon. I used the 80mil, which is the thicker option they have.

I've used the Fatmat, Noico, and Rattletrap. Noico seems to be the least pricey, is butyl, and worked as well as the Rattletrap. The Fatmat was OK, but I wouldn't buy it again if given the choice. Noico is all over amazon. I used the 80mil, which is the thicker option they have.

Thanks, I ordered some Noico a couple days ago.

Do yourself a favor and read about the 3 steps properly quiet a vehicle down. I see people cover the entire vehicle with a Dynamat type product and don't even realize that it isn't doing much. Sure it deadens the panel and helps with rattles but does little to nothing to keep road/ambient noise out. I promise you there is zero reason to fully cover the inside with that stuff. Most audio guys go with the 25% rule. It is just as effective and far cheaper. Not to mention the weight. That stuff is heavy. If you're trying to keep noise out, Mass Loaded Vinyl is what you want.

Read through this site and be sure to click on the van conversion tab as well.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I did the full 3 stage (cld tikes, ccf and mlv) install on my 4Runner about a year ago. Entire cab was done (except for the roof). Quite a bit more work than just sticking dynamite everywhere but very worth it. Next step is to upgrade door seals now.
The guys at sound deadened showdown were great to deal with.
Amazing stuff.

s.e.charles

I did the full 3 stage (cld tikes, ccf and mlv) install on my 4Runner about a year ago. Entire cab was done (except for the roof). Quite a bit more work than just sticking dynamite everywhere but very worth it. Next step is to upgrade door seals now.
Amazing stuff.

hope you will be posting this. seems like a good step.

Amazing stuff.

I’d like to know more about upgrading the door seals as well.

Amazing stuff.

All my projects get to the point where I just want to stick dynamite everywhere.

CKent323

After doing a lot of web searching I decided to use material from Sound Deadener Showdown. I installed the sound damping materials in the cab of my formerly noisy 1993 Dodge W250 extended cab pickup and I am happy with the result.

That written it looks like he is shutting down operations and retiring. Web site is still up though.

After doing a lot of web searching I decided to use material from Sound Deadener Showdown. I installed the sound damping materials in the cab of my formerly noisy 1993 Dodge W250 extended cab pickup and I am happy with the result.

That written it looks like he is shutting down operations and retiring. Web site is still up though.

This explains why he won’t return emails

nucktaco

Adventurer
Parts Express.com Sonic Barrier......Speaker Building/Automotive/Home Theater. 1/2 the price and just as good. Used it in our Subaru Outback.
Which type did you use? I looked on the site and there’s a ton of different types of sonic barrier. I’m wanting to do my tacoma without breaking the bank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles