Alternatives to Dynamat?

I did some measuring of my E350 today. I need about 250sq ft of sound deadening for what I want to do. I did some research and it seems there’s some options. Hushmat and others. Anyone have any experience with a less expensive option? Or, a line on Dynamat for less that what I can find online? It looks like I’d be close to $1000 if I used Dynamat.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Buy a roll of roofing membrane. I’ve used Grace Ice and Water shield in several cars. It is a bit thinner than dynamat but works similarly well at less than $1 per square foot.

Buy a roll of roofing membrane. I’ve used Grace Ice and Water shield in several cars. It is a bit thinner than dynamat but works similarly well at less than $1 per square foot.

I considered that, wasn’t sure if it would work as well or if it off-gases toxins.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m guessing, but no more or less than dynamat. Every hydrocarbon product in your vehicle off-gasses toxins. That is what “new car smell” is. In any event it works. You can also get a premium version / premium brands with a foil backing. I prefer that as it is easier to work with in the long term.

FlipperFla

Parts Express.com Sonic Barrier......Speaker Building/Automotive/Home Theater. 1/2 the price and just as good. Used it in our Subaru Outback.

FlipperFla

I’ll look into it thanks.
I used the MX4 which is about 1/2” thick butal rubber with a thin protective layer, thinner than the foil, and could tear, on the walls and under the rear seat and spare tire well where thickness wasnt an issue and the UT-50 about a 1/4 “ on the rear deck and floor under the carpet and doors. Cuts nice with HD scissors and is SUPER STICKY, instruction video on site for installation tips.

mires

Adventurer
Do yourself a favor and read about the 3 steps properly quiet a vehicle down. I see people cover the entire vehicle with a Dynamat type product and don't even realize that it isn't doing much. Sure it deadens the panel and helps with rattles but does little to nothing to keep road/ambient noise out. I promise you there is zero reason to fully cover the inside with that stuff. Most audio guys go with the 25% rule. It is just as effective and far cheaper. Not to mention the weight. That stuff is heavy. If you're trying to keep noise out, Mass Loaded Vinyl is what you want.

Read through this site and be sure to click on the van conversion tab as well.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have used this brand many times with great results - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TUNRGM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On my 1985 LandCruiser, I lined the floor 100%, most of the doors and rear 1/4 panels, and as much as possible of the firewall.

I placed this material over 100% of the floor under the carpet - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WQOR4C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The results where shocking!!! It sounds like a bank vault when you close the doors, and road noise is substantially reduced. When I paint, I will do the roof skin the same way.

On our SideXSide, I lined the engine area 100%. On the aftermarket aluminum skinned doors and roof, I used fairly large pieces on each panel section, same with stock inner bed panels and even the plastic hood.

Same results as my 60 LandCruiser...SHOCKINGLY BETTER!

Inline6

Adventurer
Lizard skin, I have it on the floor of the Jeep
B-quiet, inside the door panels of the jeep

Both combined did a good job of reducing road noise and heat. I done run any carpet.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Lizard skin, I have it on the floor of the Jeep
B-quiet, inside the door panels of the jeep

Both combined did a good job of reducing road noise and heat. I done run any carpet.
I love lizard skin. I have applied it to many race cars and fast street cars. Handles heat and noise quite well. Not terribly cheap though. I have heard of a DIY version where you mix up your own but haven't done that yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz