Alternative to ARB fridge slide

tbisaacs

Adventurer
I just picked up a second hand ARB 50qt fridge. I currently have it secured using a small ratchet strap.

Are there any compatible slides beside the $300+ ARB one? I'm sure it's well made. But sheesh.

19a5c13a65e06f4a0cfb1c63e17e7c9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonkaman

Adventurer
Believe it or not the ARB slides are the affordable ones on the market. The price only goes up from there.

I've had a few friends make custom slides but in the end it doesn't really save them money, just gives them exactly the size/shape they need. Those bearings are expensive

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
A pair of full extension drawer slides and some wood., Less that $50.00. Since you are not mounting it in a cabinet you would have to make a lower setup to attach the slides to and secure it to the floor.

3152.jpg

1280.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I've had a few friends make custom slides but in the end it doesn't really save them money, just gives them exactly the size/shape they need. Those bearings are expensive

This is true. I made a custom full-cargo area slide. There wasn't any savings over buying ARB or Frontrunner, but I got what I wanted. The heavy duty locking slides were in the neighborhood of $220 per pair. ARB drawer is good value if that is all you need it for.

You might find you don't really need a slide. I only decided I needed a slide so that I could put a shelf over the fridge and not have to clear things off the fridge every time I opened it.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
My HDJ81 had a custom storage system already made and installed when I got it - the builder had a spot for the fridge, but didn't make it wide enough to fit an ARB fridge slide.
My solution was a set of 400 lb locking Accuride slides mounted flat, and a piece of plywood.

So far so good.
29511244263_be1a716518_c.jpg

30105086376_b5f4601602_c.jpg

30105089426_5e7505ed7c_c.jpg

tbisaacs

Adventurer
This is true. I made a custom full-cargo area slide. There wasn't any savings over buying ARB or Frontrunner, but I got what I wanted. The heavy duty locking slides were in the neighborhood of $220 per pair. ARB drawer is good value if that is all you need it for.

You might find you don't really need a slide. I only decided I needed a slide so that I could put a shelf over the fridge and not have to clear things off the fridge every time I opened it.

This has occurred to me too. I've got plenty of room in my suburban to open the lid because I don't have any sort of drawer system or anything yet.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
My HDJ81 had a custom storage system already made and installed when I got it - the builder had a spot for the fridge, but didn't make it wide enough to fit an ARB fridge slide.
My solution was a set of 400 lb locking Accuride slides mounted flat, and a piece of plywood.

So far so good.
29511244263_be1a716518_c.jpg

30105086376_b5f4601602_c.jpg

30105089426_5e7505ed7c_c.jpg

This is genius. Most diy slides I've seen are two sets of angle iron. One to hold the slides upright and another to hold the fridge mounting surface.

tbisaacs

Adventurer
Doesn't look like they come cheap; hard to find one under $300 doing a google search.

http://www.equipt1.com/item/travel-box-fridge-slide

http://www.alphaexpedition.com/universal-40l-50l-fridge-slide/

Maybe you could go to Home Depot (or Lowe's) and check out their kitchen cabinetry section; they've got stuff for sliding - maybe you could come up with something a lot cheaper and a custom fit.

Thanks for this. I hadn't come across the eeziawn one.

SnoViking

Adventurer
It looks like the Eeziawn TB is the same as the truck fridge. It's a great slide. Plus its cheaper through Paul!

wbpolk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier