Alpha Equipt Wheels for LR4

ianob

As this is my first post, I want to start by saying thank you to this amazing community and everyone who is a part of it. I started reading the Expedition Portal forum last October in preparation to buy and build out my first 4x4 vehicle, a 2013 LR4 HD with 59k miles on it. Thank you for equipping me with the knowledge to make well informed equipment decisions, as well as a roadmap for modifications to come.

I now have the truck, and it's time to get some 18" wheels. I've decided not to go with spacers or mechanical mods and therefore narrowed the wheel options down to either Compmotives or Alpha Equipt. I plan to pair either of those with 265/65r18 BFG KO2s, and raise the air suspension 25mm with the GAP tool.

My question is, does anyone here know anything about Alpha Equipts? I searched multiple forums and haven't found a thread about them yet. The company seems new, but it's surprising that I haven't found a single review of them anywhere.

From the limited information that is available (mostly instagram posts), they claim that their 18" wheels fit the LR4/Discovery 4 and do not require spacers or any adjustments to the factory calipers. At the end of the day, I'd save about $600 bucks if I went with Alpha Equipt over Compmotive.

I'd love to save the cash and put it towards other mods, but feel that I'm taking a risk since feedback on Alpha Equipt's quality is limited (or non existent). Should I just bite the bullet and go with Compmotives (the quality of which is tried and true) for peace of mind?

Thanks in advance for helping a newcomer.

Last edited:

OregonGX

Interesting on the Alpha wheels. Haven't previously heard of them, but confidence-inspiring to see they have a presence in Southern California. My two cents, try giving them a call. How they handle inbound customer service might tell you everything you need to know.

Also, I'm seeing you are in the PNW. Plug for the regional Rover club which has its own message board and (under normal circumstances) organizes regular runs and trips. https://www.pcrc.net/

John R

Also just noticed that those wheels are 6 stud wheels and Land Rover is 5 stud. Hopefully it’s just a stock photo, but it does seem weird.

Blaise

265/65/18 is a good size but there's no need to run a permanent lift. If you plan to need extreme clearance just bump it 25mm at the trail head. Past 25mm lift you're exceeding the 60/40 bump/droop ratio.

There's also a 255/55/19 duratrac tire which is brand new for the Defender this year, in case you want to keep your 19"s.

You'd be amazed the places you can go with an LR3/4 right off the showroom floor.

umbertob

Adventurer
I believe the optional 19" GY Duratracs for the new Defender (as well as its "standard" off-road tires, the Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar) are sized 255/65R19. At 32.2" in dia, you'd be pushing it by mounting them on a stock LR4, as there would likely be some noticeable rubbing.

As Blaise said, there is a 255/55R19 Duratrac available from Goodyear that matches the LR4's standard size. The new Defender tires are a couple of inches larger across the board, thank goodness.

Last edited:

soflorovers

As this is my first post, I want to start by saying thank you to this amazing community and everyone who is a part of it. I started reading the Expedition Portal forum last October in preparation to buy and build out my first 4x4 vehicle, a 2013 LR4 HD with 59k miles on it. Thank you for equipping me with the knowledge to make well informed equipment decisions, as well as a roadmap for modifications to come.

I now have the truck, and it's time to get some 18" wheels. I've decided not to go with spacers or mechanical mods and therefore narrowed the wheel options down to either Compmotives or Alpha Equipt. I plan to pair either of those with 265/65r18 BFG KO2s, and raise the air suspension 25mm with the GAP tool.

My question is, does anyone here know anything about Alpha Equipts? I searched multiple forums and haven't found a thread about them yet. The company seems new, but it's surprising that I haven't found a single review of them anywhere.

From the limited information that is available (mostly instagram posts), they claim that their 18" wheels fit the LR4/Discovery 4 and do not require spacers or any adjustments to the factory calipers. At the end of the day, I'd save about $600 bucks if I went with Alpha Equipt over Compmotive.

I'd love to save the cash and put it towards other mods, but feel that I'm taking a risk since feedback on Alpha Equipt's quality is limited (or non existent). Should I just bite the bullet and go with Compmotives (the quality of which is tried and true) for peace of mind?

Thanks in advance for helping a newcomer.
Go on Instagram and DM @Noogoojee. He has two LR4s with aftermarket wheels (Tuffant and Alpha Equipt).

1591897864503.png

Blaise

I believe the optional 19" GY Duratracs for the new Defender (as well as its "standard" off-road tires, the Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar) are sized 255/65R19. At 32.2" in dia, you'd be pushing it by mounting them on a stock LR4, as there would likely be some noticeable rubbing.

As Blaise said, there is a 255/55R19 Duratrac available from Goodyear that matches the LR4's standard size. The new Defender tires are a couple of inches larger across the board, thank goodness.

Looks like Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar tire is 255/60/19 = 31.1" which is perfect for an LR4!
The WRANGLER ALL-TERRAIN ADVENTURE is the 32.2 tire. Not sure if there's no Kevlar in this tire of if it's a downgrade.

NYCRover

Observer
please don't jack you up your LR4 like that noogoogee guy. He's killed a substantial amount of capability in the truck with zero articulation- it's so obvious when you watch his trail videos.

Blaise

Does the 33" still allow driving away if you lose a bag/compressor? They look great just never went bigger for that reason.

Wish I did this years ago...Disco3 TDv6 smaller brakes, BMW X5 17" wheels, and 33" BFG KM3s (LT285/70r17).

>> Less suspension lift = more wheels on the ground
>> More sidewall = less flats
>> Lower PSI = Better ride on & off road
>> BMW wheels little more offset = no rubbin without spacers and still tucks

View attachment 591705

View attachment 591706

View attachment 591707

Got a set of 5 BMW X5 on the side of the house getting ready for a potential set of AT tires and/or sale..............just saying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles