Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

allochris

Adventurer
Hi, I'm new to this forum here!

Long story short, I have been building my version of expedition vehicle since the beginning of feb 07.

It's a mixture of 4wheelcamper & Supercamper. The main purpose of this build is for long distance travel both summer/winter (North&South America), including remote off-pavement access, while still remaining useful on a daily basic living in a city without the weight & space occupied by the camper.

Vehicle Spec.:
-1991 Toyota X-Cab 4x4 22re @ 317xxxkm
-33x9.5r15 BFG AT/KO, 4.88 ratio, Supra LSD in the rear 3rd
-no body lift
-1.5" Ball Joint Spacer, 2" longer shackles + 1 Add-a-leaf + AirLift Airbags
-Dual Batteries setup (Optima Redtop & Motomaster Nautilus Deep Cycle 125min @ 75ah)

Build-up Goal:
-Budget: $3000CAD for everything, all loaded with accessories.
-Gross vehicle weight all loaded (Camper/gear) <=5000lbs
-Flat-Deck to accomodate a removable camper & for general hauling purpose
-Removable Pop-top Camper (Aluminium Frame, sleep 4 adult, inside running water with sink & shower,

Ultimate Wishlist:
-Auxillary tank opposite of stock gas tank on driverside
-VW 1.9L TDI engine swap with 2 tanks bio-diesel setup
-ACME Adapter (http://www.acmeadapters.com/)

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking now.
:jumping:

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Where 'dem pics? And why not consider a 2L instead of the VW diesel? (No I don't want to hear that 2L parts are too hard to find :) )

Oh yea, and welcome!

allochris

Adventurer
CIMG8372.jpg

CIMG8408.jpg

CIMG8366.jpg

CIMG7228.jpg

CIMG7349.jpg

CIMG7337.jpg

CIMG7389.jpg

CIMG7394.jpg

CIMG7397.jpg

CIMG7405.jpg

allochris

Adventurer
Flat-deck Part is almost complete.

Weight b4 flat-deck with stock box/28" spare/full gas tank: about 3800lbs

Weight after flat-deck with full size 33"x9.5" spare/hi-lift/second deepcycle battery: about 4000lbs

Therefore, I have about 1000lbs left for my camper including gear. I think I can achieve my weight limit.

I will tig camper-frame with 1.5" AL 6063-t6 square tubing mostly, with al siding sheets on the outside, 1.5" insulation foam in the middle, & 3mm wood sheets inside. The pop-top roof is made of a sandwich of AL 22g sheet on top, nida-core 16mm plain, & 2mm wood sheet inside, all glue together with epoxy/resine.

About the pop-top roof mechanism, can owners of 4wheelcamper send me pictures of the plywood/piano hinge mechanism to set the roof up in place?

I really need to figure that one out soon. Please send me pictures of your pop-top mechanism asap. I prefer the ones without the sizzors round tubing with crank mechanism.

Oh yeah, did I mention the project completion deadline: it's in 4 WEEKS!!! :Wow1: Why, cause I need to start travelling by May 1st, 2007!

allochris

Adventurer
pskhaat said:
Where 'dem pics? And why not consider a 2L instead of the VW diesel? (No I don't want to hear that 2L parts are too hard to find :) )

Oh yea, and welcome!

I don't know, it could be anything really.

All I really what is:

-diesel with great gas mileage for LONG distance travel
-bio-diesel convertible
-cheap to swap
-cheap & great parts availability

Other suggestion?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
Well, Scott, those parts ARE harder to find. Some of them are in the NA system, some aren't (basic 2L parts are there, 2L-T and 2L-TE specific parts are not). This is pretty much why I stuck with my 22R-E, all the listings match and getting parts isn't all that hard. Internal parts for the 22R are starting to get in short supply from Toyota, I can't imagine any 2L parts will be far behind. Most of the internal engine parts for the 22R are either completely gone or under about 20 pieces left in the whole North American parts system. There have been no long blocks for a while, short blocks are under 25 now, most of the piston, ring, crank and rod bearing sizes are gone. Used to be 3 sizes of piston/rings, now only a few 0.10mm are left and that's it. The 22R-E has been out of use only since 1997 (we last got it in 1995) and it's looks very much like it's going out of production. We only got the 1L/2L from 1984 to 1986. The 2L is the same generation as the 22R and so it's demise can't be long, either. The inline 4 cylinder Toyota world has gone to the 2/3RZ and 1KZ, so swapping to a 2L does not buy you much time. Add to that the expense (~$2800 + $500 S/H for a half cut) and the headaches of swapping from a RHD wiring harness to LHD, it didn't make much sense to me (and this coming from a guy who is committed to rebuilding my 22R-E as completely as possible). The advantage to going 22R->2L is that it fits with minimal problem and bolts to the tranny without moving it, very valid points. But the parts aren't all that easy (there is zero aftermarket here in NA for the L motors, at least there is a huge 20/22R aftermarket). Personally going with a more modern, currently available in NA diesel, be that a Cummins, VW, Benz makes just about as much sense. It's more of a pain to fit, but parts will be easier to find.

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I didn't want to hear that about the 2L! LOL. Had no idea the 22R series was in such new parts decline. Interesting. The 5RZ is/was a sweet engine albeit gasoline.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
pskhaat said:
I didn't want to hear that about the 2L! LOL. Had no idea the 22R series was in such new parts decline. Interesting. The 5RZ is/was a sweet engine albeit gasoline.
There are plenty of parts available for the R-motors, just that Toyota seems to be getting out of the spare internal parts biz. That isn't a problem, since there are lots of aftermarket suppliers that should keep them going for a while. But since we got very few L-motors, once Toyota clears out spare parts, you'd be stuck calling international Toyota dealers and hoping for the best.

BTW, what's a 5RZ? You've mentioned that one before and I'm just not familiar with it. There is 5VZ-FE, the 3.4L V6 in Hilux, 4Runner, Taco, T100, etc. There are the 1/2/3RZ-FE, the 2.0/2.4/2.7L 4 cylinder in the Taco. Just never heard of a 5RZ. The 3RZ-FE is a nice engine, that is true. So is the 5VZ-FE.

allochris

Adventurer
Hi!

Finally got started welding the camper itself today. Note that it's my first time tig welding aluminium, i'm pretty happy with my result afterall.

What I use for my AL 6061-T6 1/8" tubings:

Miller Syncrowave 250, Argon, AL 4043 2.4mm filler rod, Zirtung 2.4mm electrode, amperage set at 125Amps, gas at 17cfh, stainless steel brush that only touches aluminium, and oh, my helmet.

This is about 4hrs of work today:

CIMG7414.jpg

CIMG7415.jpg

CIMG7416.jpg

:kewl:

allochris

Adventurer
AND ya, i actually bought the jetta turbo diesel! One day, at time & money allow, hopefully I will be able to run WVO with this engine on my truck!

CIMG7423.jpg

I got another 5hrs shop time today. Finally welding is almost 70% done, just missing all the additional support & brackets, & door. Here u go. & ya, i'm getting pretty good tigging this aluminium. Steady & cleaness is key!

CIMG7442.jpg

CIMG7437.jpg

CIMG7436.jpg

gjackson

FRGS
I know a guy who put the VW 1.9 tdi into a Series Land Rover. HP and torque doubled over stock and so did his MPG. Win win win!

Your build is looking pretty sweet so far!

cheers

big sky trapper

Adventurer
VERY nice so far. I'm sitting here at 3 am drawing up something very similar for an 85 long box. and been drooling over something of a scalled down version from here. http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/ There are a few that have some serious potential. The pop up design will be a good wind load saver as well. Look foward to following this one.

allochris

Adventurer
Can owners of 4wheel camper post pics of their pop-top roof mechanism? I really like their design of roof support with foldable panels without the use of internal bar-scissors.:REOutIceFishing:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles