all new SRT8 Grand Cherokee

bldeagle10

Explorer
just got the email from jeep (not sure when i signed up to receive emails?)
it has:
An all-new 6.4L HEMI® V8; 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds; estimated 465 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque
• Functional, aggressive, stellar styling that includes a newly sculpted hood
• Luxurious, race-inspired interior that features new Nappa leather and suede-surfaced seats
• 45 standard and available safety and security features, including Active Head Restraints1, Blind-Spot Monitoring (BSM)2 and Electronic Stability Control (ESC)3

http://www.jeep.com/en/srt8/?pid=eD...06JeepQ2eNOwn&hrf=http://www.edirect.jeep.com

heres the spec sheet as well (found in the link above)
http://www.jeep.com/shared/2011/srt8/pdfs/2012_JP_GrandCherokeeSRT8_Specs.pdf

bldeagle10

Explorer
just thought it was pretty neat. the fact it comes with a 6.4l hemi from the factory, which i expect would bother some jk owners. it also comes standard with a high performance driving session at a richard petty driving school deal. they dont mention anything about skid plate packages that you can get with the overland editions though. i wonder how capable it will be offroad.

K2ZJ

Explorer
they dont mention anything about skid plate packages that you can get with the overland editions though. i wonder how capable it will be offroad.

Single speed transfer case. Not well for off road! I am guessing, like previous versions, there will be no Overland SRT8.

That said, if I had the money there would be one in my garage!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
just thought it was pretty neat. the fact it comes with a 6.4l hemi from the factory, which i expect would bother some jk owners. it also comes standard with a high performance driving session at a richard petty driving school deal. they dont mention anything about skid plate packages that you can get with the overland editions though. i wonder how capable it will be offroad.

The Srt8 GC has always had a big Hemi in it from the factory. I guess I am just trying to see the point in why you posted it since it has about zero off-road prowess and isn't really news.

Frank

Explorer
I feel its good to know that if I ever want to get back into auto-x/timed event auto racing and keep a Jeep they have a vehicle that is ready to do it.

Want to know how I really feel? What is Jeep thinking? Whats next, an electric Jeep? Jeep can't deliver a diesel or Hemi Wrangler to the US but can put together a circuit ready Grand Cherokee. :rollseyes:

Last edited:

rammland

Observer
The SRT8 may have nothing to do with overlanding but I have yet to hide a smile after driving one for anything more than around a parking lot.

bldeagle10

Explorer
it may be "old news" but i was unaware of this due to just receiving the email, if that is a problem with people, the thread will be deleted...

anyways. unfortunately they done allow you to build the SRT8 model yet on their website, the overland editions are the highest models you can do and in all i think mine came out to just shy of 50k (ouch) yes GC have come with hemis but not a newly redesigned 6.4l that is supposed to have some mpg saving technology (another talking point for this thread?) it may seem to have zero off road capability but lets not forget it is a jeep, and that being said i feel it should live up to some expectations, and one of those being the capability to be pushed offroad REASONABLY for what you have, my stock cherokee can make it into some crazy places and i suspect the ground clearances wont be that much off from eachother so it should be somewhat capable otherwise not deserving the Jeep badge and should retain its mercedes M-Class badging.

this thread is to see what jeep owners think of this really, in my opinion its just another pawn in the quite fast degradation of a once absolutely legendary brand. in my mind Jeep is turning more technological. most jeep owners or enthusiasts love their jeep for its simplicity. they are extremely easy to work on and its just proven to work. we shouldnt have to fight with electrical crap causing issues (including what seems to be many electrical fires) but honestly thats my opinion, i like many others feel like if you took me to Jeep corporate and put me in a room alone, and their best engineers in another room, i would produce a jeep that would sell to more to the public, because i feel like i know what the public wants, because im one of those enthusiasts. just seems like jeep is becoming more mercedes-benz than jeep...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thanx for the article bldeagle-

We keep getting new rules on speeds/braking/turning/freeeway driving and jeep gives us this much more HP-crazy

Talk about electronic, I'm running outta cargo space, cause I've got so much troubleshooting prints in my recovery box !!

Ciao

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

K2ZJ

Explorer
Jeep is corporation and needs money like everyone else. If they are not selling GCs because the ride is to rough and built handle being off road then they will change to support the market. They don't really care about the 2% of GCs that actually have touched dirt, let alone have been put in 4low. Also they do have the Overland and that is for us while the street lovers can have the lowered/lighter/faster/stronger SRT8, that is what it was built for, not to run the Baja 1000. As for the degradation of Jeep, keep in mind the Wrangler and the Rubicon trim. They sell the hell out of those. So I would love to see the WK and ALL Jeeps remain true to the roots of capability, but I do understand the direction they are taking to stay in business.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
it may be "old news" but i was unaware of this due to just receiving the email, if that is a problem with people, the thread will be deleted...

anyways. unfortunately they done allow you to build the SRT8 model yet on their website, the overland editions are the highest models you can do and in all i think mine came out to just shy of 50k (ouch) yes GC have come with hemis but not a newly redesigned 6.4l that is supposed to have some mpg saving technology (another talking point for this thread?) it may seem to have zero off road capability but lets not forget it is a jeep, and that being said i feel it should live up to some expectations, and one of those being the capability to be pushed offroad REASONABLY for what you have, my stock cherokee can make it into some crazy places and i suspect the ground clearances wont be that much off from eachother so it should be somewhat capable otherwise not deserving the Jeep badge and should retain its mercedes M-Class badging.

this thread is to see what jeep owners think of this really, in my opinion its just another pawn in the quite fast degradation of a once absolutely legendary brand. in my mind Jeep is turning more technological. most jeep owners or enthusiasts love their jeep for its simplicity. they are extremely easy to work on and its just proven to work. we shouldnt have to fight with electrical crap causing issues (including what seems to be many electrical fires) but honestly thats my opinion, i like many others feel like if you took me to Jeep corporate and put me in a room alone, and their best engineers in another room, i would produce a jeep that would sell to more to the public, because i feel like i know what the public wants, because im one of those enthusiasts. just seems like jeep is becoming more mercedes-benz than jeep...

The "Hemi" has had the fuel saving technology for awhile. And Jeep forgot who they were a long time ago, any "Jeep" without solid axles and an Inline-6 is just another car.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, although I have solid axles--I don't have an I6, but Nobody has ever called my JKUR a "car"

The "Hemi" has had the fuel saving technology for awhile. And Jeep forgot who they were a long time ago, any "Jeep" without solid axles and an Inline-6 is just another car.

I'm sure your just kidding !!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, although I have solid axles--I don't have an I6, but Nobody has ever called my JKUR a "car"

I'm sure your just kidding !!

I call JK's cars all the time, the majority of them around here are blinged out on big chrome wheels, and this is Utah. I also call them gutless wonders, want to compare dyno graphs? The only "great" thing about the JK is their suspension design, sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior